• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best restaurant for fish and seafood

Saborosa

I had an awful experience at Casa D'a Troya last week (bad service, wrong dishes, wrong meat points, etc), but then Victor (vserna) mentioned he had a superb one the preceeding week, so your mileage may vary.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

As is quite apparent in a different thread, we should add Kabuki for those who don't think necessarily of 'Spanish-style fish'. By now, we all know that Kabuki is neither really Spanish nor really Japanese, but... outstanding in its own personal way in fusing the traditions of two of the most rabid seafood-loving nations on Earth.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Go to Rafa's,  it will change your life

RAFA

972 25 40 03

thank you for the recommendation

could you kindly provide some description of the forthcoming change so that i am partially prepared and do not collapse under the pressure?

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

Athinaeos, among other threads, you can take a look at:

Docsconz at Rafa 2005 (with pics)

Rafa, which acceded to world known fame when mentioned by Ferrán Adrià in his Los Secretos de El Bulli back in 1997, is one of the places where you can see what a good artisan with a plancha and wonderful product can do.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Halfly tongue in cheek, Víctor, I would say that that's enough. :biggrin:

I agree that Rafa is one of the places that, IMHO, is overrated among members of the eGullet Society (we have our fair share of those not only in Spain). In fact, this is what I wrote some time ago:

Is there such a thing as too much publicity being bad publicity? I mean, people should be aware of what they're going to find when they go to Rafa. Good seafood, some of it being excellent, in a non-descript setting like many other bares around, and a skilfull man with the plancha, reasonable but not cheap prices.

Is it the best seafood you can have in the country? Hardly. Is it a nice place where you  can enjoy with a good and simple meal? Definitely. In fact, I preferred to go there instead of to the more sophisticated Golondrinas (at least from a cooking point of view) to give my palate a rest of creativity some weeks ago.

Albeit, Rafa's earned a reputation in the foodie community which goes well beyond eGullet. A number of blogs and food forums feature him along with mentions here and there in mainstream media (a good example, also associated with Adria, can be found at the end of this article of The Observer). Places like Rafa exist all over the country -- FM in Granada comes immediately to my mind -- but they hardly have the exposure Rafa enjoys thanks to Adria. The first excerpt of a series of four published at the Daily Gullet (Reflections on the product) of El Bulli 1994-1997, which also mentions Rafa, is a good example of the notoriety that Rafa is achieving thanks to Adria and they guys from El Bulli.

Rafa may well be over exposed. Tony Bourdain has been an outsoken fan, and Tony himself has fans in and out of eGullet. Tony's also a fan of Adrià. The Roses gourmet Mafia may be a small tightly knit group. The night we were there for dinner, we asked Rafa where else one might eat in Roses besides elBulli and Rafa's. He nodded to the next table where the owners of La Llar were eating. Soon afterwards, the chef and waiter from Las Golondrinas across the street, came in to say hello.

It's difficult to compare Golondrinas to Rafa, or to elBulli for that matter. We had lunch there the same day, but we only had a few tapas, while we rather stuffed ourselves at Rafa's sampling most of what he had on hand. When it comes to seafood, my impression was that Golondrinas only has what's fresh and I very much enjoyed their food. Presentation at Golondrinas is more interesting and imaginative than at Rafa's, but unlike elBullli. An ideal visit to Roses would hit all three and I suspect La Llar would make a fourth. The pity is that I'm not much for beach resorts.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

many thanks to all for such an enlightening exchange of views and ideas!

rafa's seems to be quite a natural place where you can have natural food!

i have one question though: Rafa's seems to be in Roses only; or is there also a branch in madrid?

athinaeos

There is a very good seafood restaurant in Madrid called Casa Rafa. Nothing to do with it's eponymous at Roses but the quality of the seafood and simple preparations.

And is one of the few good restaurants opened on Sundays in Madrid.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

There is a very good seafood restaurant in Madrid called Casa Rafa. Nothing to do with it's eponymous at Roses but the quality of the seafood and simple preparations.

And is one of the few good restaurants opened on Sundays in Madrid.

thank you very much, this clarifies the matter

if we were to summarize the top 5 (five) seafood restaurants in madrid, which of the following (and others)would we include?

- casa rafa

- casa d'a troya

- O' Pazo

- Combarro

- Kabuki

kindly help

athinaeos

The five mentioned above could be the top five.

Another adition are any of the Oter Group seafood restaurants like El Telégrafo, La Taberna del Puerto and El Gran Barril.

thanks again, you have been most helpful!

athinaeos

• 2 weeks later...

I recently returned from a trip to San Sebastian - on the way on home we stopped in a town called Getaria and had lunch at a fish restaurant called Kaia. The wild turbot was amazing as were the baby eels - it is definately one of the best fish restaurants I have ever eaten at.

I've heard tha El Kano is also good too

I recently returned from a trip to San Sebastian - on the way on home we stopped in a town called Getaria and had lunch at a fish restaurant called Kaia.  The wild turbot was amazing as were the baby eels - it is definately one of the best fish restaurants I have ever eaten at.

I've heard tha El Kano is also good too

Welcome to eGullet, GastroChick! If it wasn't planned, your stopping at Getaria and lunch at Kaia lead you to one of the finest treats in Spain when it comes to seafood. The turbot that it's cooked at Elkano and Kaia is worth the trip to Getaria no matter where you come from.

Butterfly, I guess that baby eels are still in season (season runs from November to March aprox.) In former times, it wasn't difficult to find them in many Madrid's restaurants. Nowadays, it is becoming increasingly difficult

Are baby eels in season right now? Is there anywhere where I can try them in Madrid?

Ther's a place called Kulixka in Santa Engracia from the same owners of the next door La Casa de las Angulas shop where you can eat or buy them.

Time ago they use to serve them at Marisquería El Cantábrico that you already know.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

thank you for the recommendation

Could you kindly provide some description of the forthcoming change so that i am partially prepared and do not collapse under the pressure?

The secret to Rafa's is simple. He only buys the best fish he can find, normally line caught. If he can't find what he likes he won't open. While I was living in Roses I ate there once a month, to see the variety in the season of the sea.

After you eat at Rafa's fish will not be the same. You will always find defects in the fish you will eat in the future, whether if it was overcooked, a little old, maybe the fish drown in the net and even though its the same sea bass you ate at Rafa's its a world apart.

By only having four tables he can ensure that what you eat is of the best quality possible.

Here are a few photos of Rafa's in the summer of 2005

Start with an anchovie from roses y pan con tomate and a white wine from Penedes

gallery_14315_2615_395767.jpg

gallery_14315_2615_308296.jpg

gallery_14315_2615_652383.jpg

These are tallerinas, he cooks them on the flattop with olive oil and sea salt. When we go, normally we get two plates of these.

gallery_14315_2615_367602.jpg

For me, the calamari is the single best plate at Rafa's. They are hand caught and are not cleaned.

gallery_14315_2615_555033.jpg

You eat them as they come out of the sea, with its ink, its eyes and brain. The most incredible thing I have ever tasted.

gallery_14315_2615_329455.jpg

Tuna. The first and only time I have eaten fish with butter here. Normally he uses only olive oil and sea salt.

gallery_14315_2615_260221.jpg

"Only the tougne tells the truth..."-F.A.

revallo@gmail.com

Nice photos, Dana. They certainly brought back some wonderful memories for me - especially the calamari!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz