• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bridal Shower in Honolulu?

Kimo

I need to plan a bridal shower for my baby sister (age 33) in five weeks. Please advise on a central place (Kahala through Downtown Honolulu) for women ages 18-90 (approximately 30 pax in attendance, including one in a wheelchair). The invitations will go out on Tuesday, April 26th (I already have 'em waiting). I will not have the opportunity to fly in to see the facility. Aloha, Kimo

Aloha Kimo!

It would be helpful if you could provide an idea of the budget for the party say even a per head price so we can steer you in the right direction. Lots of possibilities and what fun for everyone!

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Since I'm the "matron of honor," probably up to $30-35 pp, inclusive of drinks, tax and gratuity (and parking, too). I thought about the following:

Angelo Pietro (my sister's suggestion, not too appealing to my 88 year old Japanese grandmother)

Pineapple Room

Hawaii Prince Hotel buffet

Parc Cafe at the Waikiki Parc

L'Uraku

Plumeria Cafe at Kahala Mandarin

Mariposa at Neiman Marcus

Japanese Tea Room (can't remember exact name, had my other sister's baby shower there)

Yanagi Sushi (my sisters hosted my shower there in 1997)

I would prefer a place with a private dining room. I'm just at a blank for a suitable place and need to start making calls today and tomorrow! :biggrin:

I can't think of more festive place than L'Uraku of all those that you named. They are also accustomed to hosting such affairs and are great to work with on arrangements. I've been there more than a couple of times where members of the party were in a wheelchair and it was easy in and out. The free underground parking with elevator makes the parking situation easy which always has to be considered. Plus the food is excellent with plenty of choices.

Let me think a bit about the private dining room - there is something nibbling in the back of my mind but I can't quite remember it right now.

Anyone else with some suggestions?

Edited by glossyp (log)

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Aloha - Chai's is always a good choice and a pretty setting, easy parking and on level

terrain. I always vote for Mariposa - the too have easy parking (valet) and an elevator, the

view is terrific and every time I eat lunch always there is a party of some type, birthday, shower.

The Kahala Mandarin would be a nice choice too. Sounds like you are planning a nice event.

Have fun - a hui ho!!! Whoops, I just noticed Kahala Mandarin on the list already although I do

like their curry buffet lunch on the Veranda.

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

How about the Pacific Beach Hotel? They have private rooms for parties.

I think the tea house you're thinking of is Natsunoya Tea House. Unfortunately, it would be difficult for your wheelchaired guest, there are a few steps here and there.

The food at the Wedding Cafe in Manoa is good, but it's a little more casual than the other places you mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
just wanted to renew this thread b/c i'm looking for the exact same thing now--any additional ideas?  mahalo!

Shokudo has a fun atmosphere and food is served family style so you could pre-order a range of items to cover most people's tastes. Last time I was there, they had just finished serving a 1st birthday party with 14 guests. I'm pretty sure they could handle more and they also have a private room.

There was a wedding reception happening at Mariposa when I ate there a couple of weeks ago, it's a gorgeous room and the food and service is terrific.

Whoops! Not what I meant to do....anyway I agree with this one. But what I wanted to do

was ask what time of day? Weekend day? I'll come up with some ideas! A hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004