• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gigantic Pasta

Susan in FL

We have this package of pasta, and all the labeling is in Italian. Is it bucatoni, or is bucatoni not this large? Anyway, not knowing for sure what it is, I didn't look in my recipes or online for something to cook with it. What kind of dish or what kind of sauce with it would you suggest? I was hoping the photo would show the size. It's almost two feet long.

gallery_13038_837_122477.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My mother used to make a pudding-like dish with it, eggs and crumbled feta cheese and a tablespoon or 2 of sugar, probably to balance the saltiness of the feta.

Otherwise I think you can use it any way you'd use any hollow pasta and you can break it smaller before boiling.

Funny that I was just telling my husband the other day that I haven't seen this kind of pasta around.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

This shape is called "candele" (candles). You can cook them as you would any long strand pasta, in a reasonably tall stock pot. Even though they are taller than your pot, the part in the water will soften relatively quickly so you can push them down until they are completely submerged.

You can use just about any sauce you like for strand pasta.

--

Great ideas so far. I'm glad to know the name, and now I see that on the package. I am hoping to cook it without breaking it... for the novelty of it if nothing else. :smile:

Mistinguett, the pudding-like dish sounds good.

One of my friends gets this pasta from an Italian market that carries many types of bulk pasta, interestng shapes never seen in packages.

She cooks it until it is just pliable, then forms it into coils in the bottom of a buttered baking dish then adds a layer of cheeses, ricotta and fresh mozzarella,

Then some beaten egg followed by lightly drizzling this with a thin marinara sauce, then another layer of the pasta coils, another layer of cheeses and the beaten egg.

It is topped with another layer of of pasta so there are two layers of cheese, three layers of pasta, topped with more sauce.

She covers it with foil so it won't brown on top and cooks it for 1/2 to 3/4 hour.

It is turned out onto a platter so the "snails" on the bottom make a nice design.

She may line the baking dish with parchment but it has been awhile and I don't recall exactly.

The presentation is very attractive.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This may be what Andie above mentioned, but you can use them to line a timbale. Cook until done, and then butter a medium sized bowl, and line the bowl with the strands of noodle, winding them around the edges, and coiling them until they meet at the centre. Then fill with goodies.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

This may be what Andie above mentioned, but you can use them to line a timbale. Cook until done, and then butter a medium sized bowl, and line the bowl with the strands of noodle, winding them around the edges, and coiling them until they meet at the centre. Then fill with goodies.

Maria makes a dessert this way, lining a small to medium pudding bowl with this type of pasta then filling it with mild and sweet cheeses broken into small pieces and mixed with sugar, eggs, candied fruit, nuts and liqueur for flavoring.

When it is turned out of the bowl it looks like an old-fashioned beehive.

When I saw the movie the Big Night it reminded me of the dessert she makes.

I have never asked her for her recipe or how she cooks it, however I think it is either placed in a bain maria or steamed.

I know she uses a lot of eggs in it because she asked me to pick up two dozen on one occasional because she had used all she had in preparing that particular dessert.

Her mom is Sicilian (surname Pugliese) and I think the recipe is actually hers.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Er... with that name, are you sure she isn't from Puglia? :smile: A Sicilian with the last name "Pugliese" is like a New Yorker named "Bostonian."

--

We have this package of pasta, and all the labeling is in Italian.  Is it bucatoni, or is bucatoni not this large?  Anyway, not knowing for sure what it is, I didn't look in my recipes or online for something to cook with it.  What kind of dish or what kind of sauce with it would you suggest?  I was hoping the photo would show the size.  It's almost two feet long.

gallery_13038_837_122477.jpg

This is very typical of Greek pasta used to make Pastcihio.

Andie and Moby, I love those ideas. What a fun sounding presentation. That would really feature the not broken up pasta, if it doesn't break up in the cooking.

Septemberdog61, what is Pastcihio?

Andie and Moby, I love those ideas.  What a fun sounding presentation.  That would really feature the not broken up pasta, if it doesn't break up in the cooking.

Hi Susan--

I think Septemberdog61 may have meant a dish I've seen spelled as pastitsio, which I too have seen made with this kind of pasta. It's kind of a Greek answer to lasagna, only topped with a bechamel sauce like a moussaka, and spiced more like a moussaka too. Here's a recipe with pictures, including a picture and description of a pasta rather similar to the one you've got (not quite as long, but still spaghetti-length and tubular).

Thanks, Miz! If I don't make that pastitsio this time around, I will later. That looks like a great make-ahead dish to have for company. My kids and whomever they bring along to FL with them next time will love it.

Andie and Moby, I love those ideas.  What a fun sounding presentation.  That would really feature the not broken up pasta, if it doesn't break up in the cooking.

Sorry Susan for the confusion. Pastichio is sort of like Greek Lasgna. I will be making some next Sunday as it is Greek Easter.

The differences are as follows:

Ground lamb is used instead of beef

Bechamel sauce replaces the cheese mixture in lasgna

A dash of cinnanom is a must

As for the pasta ziti will do, but typically the macaroni product is very similar to your picture. The usual brand name is either Misko or Melissa.

Er... with that name, are you sure she isn't from Puglia? :smile: A Sicilian with the last name "Pugliese" is like a New Yorker named "Bostonian."

Nope, Maria's dad, who was killed in WWII, emigrated from Sicily in 1927 (age 17) and two years later sent for her mom whose maiden name was Bugatti, (no relation to the automobile).

Maria and I worked together for several years.

• 2 months later...

We used this pasta tonight for a lasagne-like dish, taking off on the ideas posted here. I tried for the spiral effect in the pasta layers, but it didn't work out very well. Most of them broke up in the cooking, even though it started out looking good. I ended up lining up the pieces of pasta instead of putting them in circles. It tasted great, though!

gallery_13038_837_34648.jpg

gallery_13038_837_31429.jpggallery_13038_837_97.jpg

gallery_13038_837_33136.jpg

I dunno, looks mighty tasty to me!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I had a funny experience cooking this kind of pasta in boiling water. I don't remember the pot size but I do remember boiling water shooting out through the pasta as it cooked!

jayne

I forgot about this thread but had spoken to my friend and asked her how she cooked the long "candele" pasta.

She told me that she used a fish poacher with the grid in the bottom so the pasta won't stick to the bottom of the pan. That way it stays intact. She cooks it until just barely al dente, otherwise if it gets too tender it will fall apart.

I had a funny experience cooking this kind of pasta in boiling water. I don't remember the pot size but I do remember boiling water shooting out through the pasta as it cooked!

jayne

LOL, that happened! It's hard to see, but it's doing it in the 3rd photo down. I got a kick out of that, too.

-Susan, Easily Amused

I forgot about this thread but had spoken to my friend and asked her how she cooked the long "candele" pasta. 

She told me that she used a fish poacher with the grid in the bottom so the pasta won't stick to the bottom of the pan.  That way it stays intact.  She cooks it until just barely al dente, otherwise if it gets too tender it will fall apart.

That's a good idea, thanks.

I spoke to Maria last night and mentioned this thread - (I keep trying to get her to join eG but she says she is too busy)

She said that she lifts the strainer out of the poacher, slides the pasta onto a fairly damp dishtowel and rolls it up then picks it up and holds it vertically so the water can drain out of the interior, then empties the pan and puts the cloth-wrapped pasta back onto the drainer and places it back into the poacher with the lid on to keep it moist.

She has the dish or pan and the other ingredients ready to go and immediately starts placing the candele in the pan, starting with a central coil and adding additional coils in a petal pattern around the central one. She says to work rapidly with hands lightly oiled when handling the pasta and add some of the filling as soon as the first row of "petals" is in place to keep them from drying out.

I have seen her make this in an oval baking dish, a rectangular baking dish and a round, fairly deep Pyrex mixing bowl (one of the old style that came in primary colors).

The coils are about 4-5 inches in diameter as the pasta flattens somewhat during baking.