• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

johnnybird brought back some keegan ales back. so far i have tried the Old Capital and Hurricane Kitty. the old capital is very smooth and crisp. the hurricane kitty was a very hoppy ipa that grabbed the back of my throat. tried a taste of the Mother's Milk which is a milk stout. ok but stouts are not my thing as y'all know. :raz:

definitely will drink some more of these. the brewery's website is here:

http://www.keeganales.com/

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A couple of 7 oz pony bottles of Christian Moerlin Oktoberfest. Absolutely fantastic. Found after a tip from Lew Bryson, at a discount package store in PA for $5 a case!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I have just returned home from the road trip out west and some of the beer highlights were a sampler from the San Francisco Brewing Company (short of excellent, but good to very good beers); Scorpion Pale Ale from Moab Brewery, which was very, very hoppy and maybe even too bitter for me -- or not the kind of hop bitterness I prefer; Carlsberg in Solvang, California; Squatter's Full Suspension; and Wasatch Polygamy Porter. The last two were a surprise discovery at the Zion Pizza and Noodle restaurant in Springdale, Utah which I didn't expect because that is a touristy area. They had a very good microbrew selection for such a place, and the Pizza we had was great, too. The Full Suspension was probably the best tasting beer on the trip, for me. The most enjoyed beer for me was the one I drank sitting on a cliff way atop and looking down upon the Grand Canyon, a New Belgium Fat Tire that I drank with our cookout.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I am from the Eastern Shore, so I really had no other choice during the 4th celebrations than to drink the magical Bud 10 oz. Doing otherwise would be considered suspect in these parts. "They taste different than the regular Bud," don't you know.

Have Anderson Valley's summer seasonal in the fridge at the moment: Summer Solstice Cervesa Crema. Quite frankly, it's not my cup o' tea. Malty, spicy, slightly sweet, I'm not getting any "crema" out of this one at all.

Also..well...it's completely devoid of any hop flavor. :hmmm:

Born Free, Now Expensive

The most enjoyed beer for me was the one I drank sitting on a cliff way atop and looking down upon the Grand Canyon, a New Belgium Fat Tire that I drank with our cookout.

mmm Fat Tire. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but I noticed that when Fat Tire was first available in Colorado which came only in 22oz bottles, it was really outstanding, but later on as it became more widely available in the usual 12oz bottles, I feel that it was a tad watered down. Don't get me wrong, it's still really good but not the same as when I first had it, maybe it was a batch difference? hmmm :huh:

I really like all of the New Belgium Beers, I brought some of their Trippel from Colorado to California and my friend loved it. Before that, he never even heard of trappist style ales. Needless to say, he went on a Trappist ale frenzy and bought any trappist style ales that he could get his hands on. I benefited since I got to taste/drink many of them that he bought.

Currently, I'm drinking Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager, my first Hawaiian beer. I bought it since it was on sale at $5.99 per six pack and I didn't have high expectations but it's actually quite tasty.

Interesting you mentioned that about the Fat Tire, Evan. My son bought a sixer to have for me when we got to his house. The first one I drank I thought maybe it wasn't as good as when I had it before, which must have been a few years ago. Like you said, still very good, though. As for the setting in which to drink another one, at Grand Canyon, I think anything would have tasted heavenly!

Last night while fixing dinner we drank a Monty Python Holy Grail Ale. Fruity, bitter, a little roasted or burnt flavor(?), and a hint of sweetness that I didn't remember from last time I drank it... quite enjoyable.

Last night, I drank Old Style. I was between my bike ride and my run. It was hot. I was thirsty. That beer went down really well.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

• 3 weeks later...

summer beer of choice-Saranac Belgian White-crisp,inexpensive, great w/ a squirt of lime, also TJ's hefeweizen is not bad for the price, either. The best part of these summer beers is thinking about what beers I would like to brew come fall-a good wheat beer, a cranberry spiced beer for Thanksgiving, something heavy & alchoholic to tuck away for aging....

• 2 weeks later...

That's great! I have been slacking off on this thread myself... Seems most of the beers we have on hand are not real compatible with August in Florida. I've enjoyed some lawnmower beers, Danish beers, Dogfish Head Aprihop, a few Christmas beers last month, and some good Bass Ales on tap in local bars. We're due for a trip up north to beer shop, too.

Last night before dinner, Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale and this morning with breakfast, Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout. Not our favorite oatmeal stout by far, but our supply has dwindled to our least favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's Friday Night Belgian was Fantome's Black Ghost.

Poured a medium reddish brown with little head. A bit of tart flavor similar to a Geuze with a dry finish of well toasted barley. Really showed its sweet complexity as it warmed up. Delicious.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

To ease take the pain of having my serve desert me in the quarterfinals of the club championship I had a Berliner Kindl Weisse with woodruff (Waldemeister) syrup. This stuff is brilliant for a summer day. I'm not a brewer so don't press for details but I've read that it undergoes a separate fermentation; hence the taste is quite tart and sour. The syrup sweetens it up. I have yet to find the woodruf syrup in the states but one can also use rapsberry. It's VERY different from a traditonal German wheat beer.

See http://www.berliner-kindl.de/

I just got done drinking a Zywiec. It's a Polish beer I picked up while driving through Chicago. Not bad. Not bad at all. I learned after buying it that they make a porter too. Now I wish I'd tried that. A Polish porter.

I just got done drinking a Zywiec.  It's a Polish beer I picked up while driving through Chicago.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  I learned after buying it that they make a porter too.  Now I wish I'd tried that.  A Polish porter.

Zywiec Porter is a style known as a Baltic Porter that is made by a number of Polish brewers (as well as other brewers in the Baltic region). I very strong flavored porter with a lot of dark fruit flavors and a high alcoholic content, it is my understanding that these Baltic Porters may have more popularity in the US market than in their home markets.

I have tried the Zywiec Porter and think it is a wonderful beer.

What a week.

New job, bad news from parents, garden falling to pieces, etc.

The only thing for it this Friday was Unibroue's "Fin du Monde".

My those Quebecois make a fine Belgian style ale.

I hope things improve next week, or it's going to be Maudite all around.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Found a new beer in the local grocery store. "Brahama" from Brasil. Figured it was worth a try. In the style of Corona, but even worse. Sure did nothing to change my belief that Daytona Beach is the desert of good beer.