• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

My main beers of choice are a couple of local brews by the Palmetto Brewing Company in Charleston, SC. Palmetto IPA in the summer and Palmetto Porter the rest of the year. It's tasty. cheapish, fresh, and local (for me at least). :)

My main beers of choice are a couple of local brews by the Palmetto Brewing Company in Charleston, SC. Palmetto IPA in the summer and Palmetto Porter the rest of the year. It's tasty. cheapish, fresh, and local (for me at least). :)

I really like Palmetto's beers, too, and often pick them up when I am in South Carolina. My favorite is their marvelously well-balanced Amber, but I also enjoy the Porter and the Pale Ale. I didn't realize they also made an IPA.

I popped open a Le Coq Imperial Stout last night, the 1999 vintage:

This was given a very vigorous pour- the bottle was at least 8" above the rim of the glass- and still only managed to give about 1/4" of a dark tan head. Color is a dark inky-looking brown/black. The head quickly disappears but is resurrected easily with some swirling.

Aroma is quite strong. There is a lot going on here- the dominant characteristic is 'leathery', but there is also an equally prominent barnyard quality. Then there's some sweet malt, coffee, spiciness (particularly anise), butterscotch, ash and alcohol. It is a very distinctive bouquet, to say the least.

Flavor is definitely 'not subdued'; it is perhaps even a bit coarse, but overall it is balanced in its own way. The mouthfeel hits you first- very full and bordering on oily. Then the roasty/leathery characteristics come on, merging nicely with a good quantity of bitterness. All of the other flavors- barnyard, spices, fruit, butter- come on late and linger a long time in the finish. The alcohol is there as a warming presence only, and not at all out of place.

Everything about this beer screams 'concentrated' and 'saturated' and probably takes some getting used to, but there is nothing else like it. I really do like this beer, though there definitely have been problems with consistency from the very beginning (my club split a few cases at the time). In general it lives and dies with how carbonated each particular sample is- the flat ones tend to be harsh and overbearing. This particular sample wasn't the best I've had, but it was up there.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Granvile Island English Pale Ale.  Good body but I wish it were stronger.

Country Cook, do you mean stronger tasting or stronger as in alcohol %? I do like GI but my favourite local brewer is Shaftsbury. I haven't seen the Rainforest Ale in the liquor store lately but that was my pick, followed closely by Cream Ale.

I finally cracked open one of my Rodenbach Alexanders. I was going to drink a few weeks back but I had too much of a head cold to appreciate it. For an 8 year old beer it has held up well. Much sweeter than the Grand Cru less acidity. Still very nice. 4 out of 5.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

Pilsner Urquell 500ml can at home post-work, a Sapporo Draught big boy (600ml) shared with my neighbour while making the BBQ sauce for tonight's ribs.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Lancaster Hop Hog IPA became a new favorite - although a bit on a thinner side the tropical flavor of this beer is addictive.

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA - quite bready and a very long bitter finish, very nice.

We have been enjoying the Anderson Vallely Hop Ottin', too.

Thanks for the mention of Hop Hog. I'm putting that on the next Going North Beer Shopping List.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

friday a disappointing killians red and an ok pilsner urquell on tap for lunch(and still managed to beat the six guys at "who wants to be a millionaire"). yesterday and today - sorry - rose and regular champagne to celebrate johnnybird's and my 23rd wedding anniversary.

more beer tomorrow :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

gallery_19726_1131_8869.jpg

Here's what I've been drinking from the basement brewery.

Least Prestigious Ivy League School Brown Ale? With the crest? I'm rolling....

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Well, let's see... Friday was my Imperial Red, followed by my blonde ale.... followed by Anchor Summer... Saturday was just Anchor Summer. Tonight has been my blonde followed by my schwarzbier - not a very common style, but excellent. Needless-to-say I have a stash of brews going and I must get to them before they start going south.

It's good to see some excellent choices of beers being had here :)

Cheers

Brew-Monkey.com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.

Until today I wasn't allowed to have any beer -- or anything fizzy/carbonated/with any bubbles -- after periodontal surgery on Monday. :angry:

So this morning after breakfast, we split a Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout. :smile:

Last night I had a 750ml Chimay Blue. The first real beer, not counting my Dad's excellent homebrew, I've had since I went to Belgium in '98. Too good! I gave my boss at the wine shop a bottle and he was loving it too.....

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Last night I had a 750ml Chimay Blue.  The first real beer, not counting my Dad's excellent homebrew, I've had since I went to Belgium in '98.  Too good!  I gave my boss at the wine shop a bottle and he was loving it too.....

Have you had the Chimay Reserve in the 750ml? Really good. I am also quite fond of the Westmalle Triples... Nothing like arriving in Brussells early morning and having one for Breakfast.

Been drinking some Chzekvar (Budvar) lately. The Belgian beers are so expensive here.

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

Lancaster Hop Hog IPA became a new favorite - although a bit on a thinner side the tropical flavor of this beer is addictive.

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA - quite bready and a very long bitter finish, very nice.

We have been enjoying the Anderson Vallely Hop Ottin', too.

Thanks for the mention of Hop Hog. I'm putting that on the next Going North Beer Shopping List.

Lancaster Hop Hog is on tap at the new Lancaster baseball park. I had one during the game and it was great even out of the ballpark plastic cup. Worth the trip to the beer stand to get this as the vendors were hawking Bud and Coors light. I think this ia a good choice for your north country beer trip

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Have you had the Chimay Reserve in the 750ml?  Really good. 

The Red, right? Tried one last night. It was wonderful, objectively, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Blue. I thought the Red was a little less aromatic and more bitter--from the hops? I like a beer that is hardly bitter at all; I have heard that with many Belgian ales you can hardly taste the hops. I might be way off here.....

Chris

just finished off the last of a bottle of dogfish head chickory stout that i used to cook some onions. garlic and sundried tomato sausages in :biggrin: .

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

just finished off the last of a bottle of dogfish head chickory stout that i used to cook some onions. garlic and sundried tomato sausages in :biggrin: .

That sounds good, Suzi. Thanks for the idea!