• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

Since today is 5/5, that can only mean it is time to take a look at Stone's Vertical Epic from 4/4/04.

It's drinking very nicely, and I'm not a big tripel fan:

Appearance: Pours a hazy, honey colored body with lots of tight, tiny white bubbles; a decent head that quickly fades and leaves spotty lacing around the glass

Smell: Lots of aroma; filled with overripe bananas, a touch of clove and coriander and a bit of floral citrus from the kaffir lime leaves

Taste: Starts with a sweet, banana/bubblegum flavor which, after a prolongued wait, is matched by some astringent sour/herbacious notes that are a touch too dominant into the finish; the kaffir lime presents a very interesting twist with its floral tones

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, soft body; modest carbonation

Drinkability: I am not a big tripel fan but this one is particularly good

Last night I had Lancaster Brewing Co.'s new IPA, Hop Hog. My first impression was that it was pretty average. Not very hoppy and a bit on the thin side. The hops that were there were one dimensional. It's not the worst IPA I've ever had, but it's certainly nowhere near Hop Devil.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Last night I had Lancaster Brewing Co.'s new IPA, Hop Hog.  My first impression was that it was pretty average.  Not very hoppy and a bit on the thin side.  The hops that were there were one dimensional.  It's not the worst IPA I've ever had, but it's certainly nowhere near Hop Devil.

Always glad to hear about a new IPA...

:smile: For me, the best Hop Devil is the standard by which to judge all IPAs.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

One of my favorite Friday happy hours; drinking Michelob Light from a paper cup, shelling peanuts at the bar and slurping a dozen oysters on the half shell at the Oyster Pub in Daytona Beach.

Last night I had Lancaster Brewing Co.'s new IPA, Hop Hog.  My first impression was that it was pretty average.  Not very hoppy and a bit on the thin side.  The hops that were there were one dimensional.  It's not the worst IPA I've ever had, but it's certainly nowhere near Hop Devil.

I have been wanting to try that. My exepectations are not very high as most everythin gi have had from Lancaster Brewing has been a average at best.

As for my favorite IPA, Pelican India Pelican Ale from Pelican Brewing in Pacific City, OR. Unfortunately they stopped bottling this gem recently so no more mail order of it for me. :sad:

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

I have been wanting to try that. My exepectations are not very high as most everythin gi have had from Lancaster Brewing has been a average at best.

I like the milk stout. Their other beers, as you've said, are pretty average.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Since I'm getting ready to brew an Imperial Stout soon to lay down for a few years my brewing partner and I thought we'd sample a few to help us decide on a recipe. We ended up with 4 excellent examples of modern Imperial Stouts and one interesting (alleged) example of Tsarist brewed Imperials.

Harvey’s A LeCoq Imperial Stout

Reputed to be authentic reproduction of the Imperial Stout’s originally brewed by LeCoq, in Tsarist Russia. Perhaps it is, too. Had the 2001 version, an opaque, oily, lightly carbonated brew with a very small head and light carbonation. Sour aromas, including soy sauce, dark fruit, old coffee and dark chocolate. Mouthfilling and slightly oily, sour , fruity flavour. Overall, not my cup of tea at all, but interesting as an example of what the Tsar’s court very likely had before the revolution.

Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout

Pours dark brown with hints of ruby with a tan, bubbly head that dissipates soon; low carbonation level feels just right. Initial aroma of coffee and toasted malts. Relatively low in alcohol at 7%. Thin mouthfeel for an Imperial Stout, more like the draft Guinnes in Ireland, though with tons more flavor, including a strong caramel note and just barely counterbalanced by bitterness. The most quaffable of the Imperial S’s I had today, but also, the least interesting.

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout

This 9.1 % beer pours a high, dense, light tan head that lasts and laces the glass. Initial aromas feature roast malt and – surprise – hops! Light, mouthfeel with a pleasant, prickly hop dimension and highest carbonation level of those tasted today. Spicy hops and roast and caramel malts come through interwoven in the taste, with a pleasing touch of middle sweetness. Virtually not hint of the alcohol and a bitter aftertaste. My favority by a smidge over the Poseiden. The only Imperial Stout I’d have more than one of, for it’s actually refreshing and not a bit cloying.

Fish Tale Poseiden Imperial Stout batch 5

A 10% complex monster from Olympia Washington, this is the first Poseiden not barrel aged. It poured a frothy, huge light brown head that lasted and laced the glass as we slowly polished it off over 90 minutes. Chewy, mouthfeel with a riotous interplay of roast malt, caramel, bitterness, coffee and chocolate all somehow smoothly evolving with nothing sticking out too much. A beer to be sipped slowly on a dark noght.

North Coast Old Rasputin, 9 %

Poured a dense, long lasting light brown head. Quite a dark beer with hints of ruby. Nice balance of roasted barley and hop bitterness. Rather rapid finish. A very pleasant beer, certainly not a session candidate, but, overall rather middle of the pack, like Guinnes on steroids.

Our favorite was a toss-up between Poseidon and Storm King, so we decided to design our recipe to replicate Poseidon for the beer we'll drink after a year and to replicate the hop aroma/flavor for that portion we'll drink after 4 months.

Fish Tale Poseiden Imperial Stout batch 5

A 10% complex monster from Olympia Washington, this is the first Poseiden not barrel aged.  It poured a frothy, huge light brown head that lasted and laced the glass as we slowly polished it off over 90 minutes.  Chewy, mouthfeel with a riotous interplay of roast malt, caramel, bitterness, coffee and chocolate all somehow smoothly evolving with nothing sticking out too much.  A beer to be sipped slowly on a dark noght. 

I loved the earlier batches that were aged in used Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. I was bummed to hear that they stopped aging in wood. Their Barley wine, Leviathan, is better IMO not aged in wood. It did not carry the wood very well, unlike the Imperial Stout. Sounds like I need to find a >= Batch 5 Poseidon.

My site, it is crappy.

Last night I had my only bottle of Barrel-aged Old Salty from Heavyweight brewing. I absolutely adored this year's regular ld Salty, though the last 4-pack I bought was infected so that tainted my opinion somewhat. Anyhow, the barrel-aged version was quite nice. The wood was subtle but still lent some nice complexities. The palate was fantastic, full and luscious and did not suffer from a vastly thinned or dry syrupy palate as so many big wood-aged beers do.

I had an earlier vintage that had been aged in wood (2002 I think) that was not nearly as good. In fact it tasted like what I imagine dirty aquarium water tastes like! So I was very pleased to not have to experience that again.

My site, it is crappy.

I am being reminded of beers I forgot about. Oh how I wish that I could drink at least one of everything discussed here.

Earlier tonight, before dinner, I had an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA. I'll quote the label... I can't yet come up with this stuff myself, but I'll keep working on it. In the meantime:

"Hop-heads, your dreams have come true! Hot Ottin' is Boontling for 'hard working hops,' and they're surely hard at work in this brew. Hop Ottin' starts with a strong floral aroma, which winds into a deep and complex body. In an intriguing balance, honey-drenched malts coat rich hop undertones. At length, the hops prevail, with a satisfyingly crish finish. Hop Ottin' bites like a can-kicky bluetail (Hop Ottin bites like a rattlesnake looking for a fight)." I agree.

Here's the web site.

Over the weekend, I drank another Old Dominion Spring Brew 2004, which is an Impy Pils. Unexpectantly, and pleasantly suprisingly, it seemed to have improved from last year. It had intense aroma and flavors and still had the big hop punch. It actually tasted more balanced to me now than when we got the case last year... less of an alcohol finish. Tangy, crispy, and clean, it had a nice hoppy finish.

We also had another BBBCS stout float last night.

Always glad to hear about a new IPA...

:smile: For me, the best Hop Devil is the standard by which to judge all IPAs.

i probably keep getting bad Hop Devil as i find it quite underwhelming.

On the other hand i consider Hop Hog quite an interesting IPA: plenty of grapefruit bordering really strong almost guava aroma.

We had a side to side tasting tonight and both preferred Hog to Devil.

Tomorrow i'm planning the comparative tasting of two imperial IPA heavyweights:

Stoudts Double IPA vs Dogfish Head 90 Minute: i'm almost sure which one reigns supreme :laugh:

Edited by helenas (log)

i probably keep getting bad Hop Devil as i find it quite underwhelming.

Tomorrow i'm planning the comparative tasting of two imperial IPA heavyweights:

Stoudts Double IPA vs Dogfish Head 90 Minute: i'm almost sure which one reigns supreme :laugh:

It could be that you have gotten bad Hop Devil. When we were in Delaware to sell our house up there about a year ago, we went to "our" package store and bought some Hop Devil, which was really good. But also, the owner gave us a case which was past the fresh date at no charge. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. If you ever get the chance, go to the brewpub and have one from the tap. Oh my... one of the times I did that, it was the best beer of my life. I still remember it vividly.

Can't wait to hear about your tasting tomorrow!

Over the weekend, I drank another Old Dominion Spring Brew 2004, which is an Impy Pils.  Unexpectantly, and pleasantly suprisingly, it seemed to have improved from last year.  It had intense aroma and flavors and still had the big hop punch.  It actually tasted more balanced to me now than when we got the case last year...  less of an alcohol finish.  Tangy, crispy, and clean, it had a nice hoppy finish.

We also had another BBBCS stout float last night.

This year's OD Spring Brew was amazing. I am in fact drinking my last one right now. The recipe was the same but they dry-hopped it this year and as a result it is stunningly good. Its just dripping with noble hops. mmmmm

My site, it is crappy.

This year's OD Spring Brew was amazing. I am in fact drinking my last one right now. The recipe was the same but they dry-hopped it this year and as a result it is stunningly good. Its just dripping with noble hops. mmmmm

I'm so glad you mentioned that. There is a chance of my husband going up north in June and could look for some. Do you think there would still be any available anywhere?

today was a trip to restock my other vices and to add to the growing bottles for trying so, in an attempt to be scientific, i picked up an Otter Creek Middlebury Ale and Stovepipe Porter.

i tried the ale first after i had mowed the lawn and finished the raking. light and not too frothy. when i opened the bottle i had the sensation of berries. went down very smoothly and while nicely hopped it wasn't overly done. the stovepipe porter - though i do like porters- does seem more like a stout than a porter to me. dark, rich and sweet to my taste. not as bad as a guiness but i'm thinking johnnybird will be taking the other bottles down the shore with him....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Stoudts Double IPA vs Dogfish Head 90 Minute: i'm almost sure which one reigns supreme

what can i say - same league, but as much as i love to hate Dogfish Head, this one is a winner: in terms of aroma and very long finish.

but you know what - these days i always have some Red Seal in my fridge :biggrin:

Well, I found some Ommegang Rare Vos in the 'bargain' section (really, a shopping cart pushed to the side) in my local package store. I liked it a lot - and it totally changed characcter as it warmed in my glass. THEN I read an article where Ommegang's brewmaster called it their flagship product - how difficult it was to get right and how 'spensive it was. Heh - I remembered that the bargain cart held more - so I went back and bought 'em out - for less than a buck apiece!

To paraphrase: There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about with food.

I'm so glad you mentioned that. There is a chance of my husband going up north in June and could look for some. Do you think there would still be any available anywhere?

It is still around on most of the store shelves I have seen. There might still be some around in June. Where is he going? If he is in the DC area the Northern VA suburbs are probably the best place to look.

My site, it is crappy.

Well, I found some Ommegang Rare Vos in the 'bargain' section (really, a shopping cart pushed to the side) in my local package store.  I liked it a lot - and it totally changed characcter as it warmed in my glass.  THEN I read an article where Ommegang's brewmaster called it their flagship product - how difficult it was to get right and how 'spensive it was.  Heh - I remembered that the bargain cart held more - so I went back and bought 'em out - for less than a buck apiece!

Wow a buck a pop for Rare Vos. That is really good deal. It should age well so unless it has been subject to some major temperature abuse it should all still be good.

I would however consider their Belgian Stong Ale which is named Ommegang their flagship product. They are actually owned by Moortgat (same folks that brew Duvel and Maredsous) so they have some good lineage.

My site, it is crappy.

Stoudts Double IPA vs Dogfish Head 90 Minute: i'm almost sure which one reigns supreme

....but as much as i love to hate Dogfish Head, this one is a winner: in terms of aroma and very long finish.

I can't believe you said that! That is how I was for so long, sort of a love-hate relationship with Dogfish Head. To me in the earlier years it was highly inconsistent, even on tap at the brewpub. I couldn't trust that a separate batch of the same beer would taste nearly like the previous one. However, I haven't seen that problem of late and have now been won over on just about all his beers.

It is still around on most of the store shelves I have seen. There might still be some around in June. Where is he going? If he is in the DC area the Northern VA suburbs are probably the best place to look.

His plan is to drive to Delaware, and can fairly easily be in the DC area. He sometimes makes a stop right at Old Dominion when he goes to Delmarva.

Thanks!

Current fridge beer content: Grolsch and Hoegaarden. It is getting sunnier here in Vancouver so sitting on my patio after work with a Hoegaarden (squirt a wee bit of lemon juice in the glass before pouring) is most enjoyable. Fruity, crisp and immensely refreshing.

Grolsch is a more generic lager but with enough body to make it stand up against whatever I am snacking on, ususally while cooking dinner in the evening. This is my staple, I usually have one every day. This has something to do with being Dutch I'm sure. :smile:

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese