• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

I'll go first. Yesterday I drank Corona during happy hours, and later a Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

The former: Always good and thirst-quenching in the Florida heat. Let the sun shine....

The latter: Mmmm... :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

The progression last night was...

Otter Creek Copper Ale (a darn solid version of a German Altbier)

Samuel Smith's India Ale

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (another thread put that idea into my head)

And... my first experience with Ommegang's Three Philosophers. Holy cow- that beer is freaking good! It is a Belgian style Quadruple (Strong Abbey Style) blended with cherry lambic. A positively superb beer in every way!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Bud Light... I'm going to hang my head in shame...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

This is fun.

Petite tête de chou, Alaskan summer ale as in Alaskan Brewing Company, as in who makes Alaskan Smoked Porter?! Oh my what I would give...

JohnnyD, I am glad to hear you are keeping cool in the sweltering heat.

TongoRad, you know how to choose a line-up! Thanks for describing the Three Philosphers; I like Ommegang beers, but that's a new one on me.

Jsolomon, stand proud. Do not hang your head in shame! Well, not for long, anyway. :biggrin: Really I am interested in -- or perhaps nosey about -- what everybody's drinking, so I hope nobody will hold back!

Bud Light... I'm going to hang my head in shame...

I drink Bud Light and Miller light most of the time. I like to think of the calories I am saving!! And I don't mind it - although sometimes I toss a lime in to kill the watery flavor.

My boyfriend drank some Bridgeport IPA last night while I had my Millet Light

I was at the annual Charlotte homebrew competition today, so I drank just about everything under the sun. My three favorites today:

Irish Red

Foreign Extra Stout

Imperial IPA

Susan - A Corona???????????? How can you drink that and a Shakespeare Stout?

I should also mention that a few days ago, I went to an Avery beer tasting. My favorites there were The Reverend and The Maharaja.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)

Que & beer are inseparatable.

I'll say! One of the best beer & foods together of all time.

...although sometimes I toss a lime in to kill the watery flavor.

I always have lime in my 'Ronas.

Susan -  A Corona???????????? How can you drink that and a Shakespeare Stout?

Well it's not like I drank them at the same time!!! :blush::laugh:

Thanks for the mention of the homebrew competition and the Avery beer tasting.

yesterday:

Lancaster Hop Hog IPA - pretty good;

Weyerbacher Hops Infusion (IPA) - decent but where're those hops?

today:

Stoudts Double IPA - outstanding;

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - classic;

Hi, Helena! Wow, you were serious when we spoke about your development of a taste for beer... Way to go. I am happy if I contributed at all to your becoming a hophead. I hope you'll post about any particularly good food & beer matches you have discovered.

What you said about SNPA, well put. It is a great classic, and readily available. Even here in FL.

Two Dos Equis Amber with Mexican food.

Mmmm... I especially like Dos Equis when on tap in Mexican restaurants. I'm not sure what the two are called, but when there is a choice of the lighter or darker, I like the darker. Do you have a preference?

TongoRad, you know how to choose a line-up!  Thanks for describing the Three Philosphers; I like Ommegang beers, but that's a new one on me.

Thanks, Susan. It was a total impulse purchase- when I heard the shopkeeper describe it I just had to give it a shot. I have three more left- I will endeavor to take notes one of the next times and post more detailed impressions.

I think this thread is a great idea- a lot of times I'll drink something interesting but be reluctant to start a whole new thread about it, but this way there can be a place for all of those quick recommendations.

Plus, it's interesting to see what people are drinking. And- you Pacific Northwest people have totally got me jealous- Alaskan, Bridgeport, etc. -you folks have got it good!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Lat night--two Racer 5's and a few Stone Pale Ales. Tonight--low cal miller lite.

i believe the lighter dos equis is lager, the dark amber. I always remember i like the one in the green bottle. Lager i believe. both are quite good w/mexican food, esp on draft. I also like bohemia.

Tonight with our dinner's first course we had River Horse Hop Hazard. With that name, it has to be good. Right now, I am snacking on popcorn and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA.

This prompted me to search for previous threads about IPAs and I found this topic, started almost two years ago. Mention was made that it makes sense to try and discuss beers by type. I agree, but I must say, I am really enjoying discussing beer in any way. Thanks to everybody for jumping in on this.

I think this thread is a great idea- a lot of times I'll drink something interesting but be reluctant to start a whole new thread about it, but this way there can be a place for all of those quick recommendations.

Plus, it's interesting to see what people are drinking. And- you Pacific Northwest people have totally got me jealous- Alaskan, Bridgeport, etc. -you folks have got it good!

I'm glad you are enjoying this, too. I like a place for all the quick recommendations, also. I do look forward to your tasting notes on the Three Philosophers and any other tasting notes as well.

And, ditto on your comment to the Pacific Northwesterners!

Last n ight it was smoked turkey wraps and Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale

During our weekly beerchat on Starchat.net (StarPirch/channels/No Bull Inn), it was a Stegmaier Porter, from Wilkes-Barre, PA, a fine traditional porter , followed by a 1999 Old Dominion Millennium barleywine, a real ass-kicker.

Tonight it was tuna salad over mixed greens in a balsamic vinaigrette with Otter Creek Alpine Ale. Yummy.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Lat night--two Racer 5's and a few Stone Pale Ales.  Tonight--low cal miller lite.

i believe the lighter dos equis is lager, the dark amber.  I always remember i like the one in the green bottle.  Lager i believe.  both are quite good w/mexican food, esp on draft.  I also like bohemia.

Despite its name, Dos Equis Amber is actually a Vienna Lager (as is Negra Modelo), a style that was introduced to Mexico by Austrian immigrants in the late 1800s. It is distinguished by its use of Vienna or Munich malts which should produce a soft malt complexity with enough hop bitterness to produce a balanced, dry finish. Unfortunately, most Mexican breweries use adjuncts (probably corn) to lower their costs/appeal to American mass consumer tastes and this results in less malt complexity than the best examples of the style. One of the better Vienna Lagers is Sam Adams Boston Lager, so you could taste that side by side with a Dos Equis Amber to compare the differences. Sam Adams also used to make a beer that they labeled Vienna Lager but I have never tasted it.

The Dos Equis is the green bottle is also a lager and fits into the American Lager category.

By the way, I love Stone's beers and wish we could get them in NC. Their IPA is a hop monster. I have never tried their Pale Ale but I have a hunch I would really like it. I wish we had the beer selection you have in California.

Otter Creek Copper Ale (a darn solid version of a German Altbier)

Otter Creek makes a "Stovepipe Porter" that is out of this world. I helped a pal with his maple syrup operation some years back. We had a few cases of this while we waited for the sap to boil down to a certain density, then it's drawn off into sterilized jugs.

We had a guitar, a mandolin and a banjo, hearty stews to take the chill away while we stood around in the snow for two straight days and nights, and lots of the "stovepipe". I'll never forget it!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

After moving some more crap from my old digs to my new digs last night, I relaxed with a Bud Light that was washing down some Spaghettie alla carbonara.

Afterward, I met some friends at a local pizza pub and chatted over some Hornsby's Hard Cider.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Went to Seattle’s Brewworks to get & drink Lagunitas’ Sirius, a high octane cream ale, very quaffable, dangerousely so at 7.6% abv. It is, BTW, a good example of the possibility of brewing great beer with adjuncts, in this case maize as I understand it. Also had a Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA, a mild 6.6% abv, an amber gold, creamy IPA with subtle hop aroma and a sweetish grainy middle palate backed by firm bitterness and northwest hop flavors. Tonight it will be a Bottleworks IPA, at 8.5%, made by Dick’s Brewing, and a Pyramid Hopotown IPA at 5.2% abv. Soon I’ll try the Rogue Uber Pils and the Hales Mongoose IPA. Looks like I have a hop thing going……..

Jim