• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

The second beer for the evening was Coopers Sparkling Ale. This is one of our favorites, a really nice refreshing drop. Brewed and fermented using a unique method of top fermentation and bottle conditioning.

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis

~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

Thursday night I had a Boulevard Pale Ale on tap at Jack Stack BBQ in Kansas City.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Recently picked up a case of 2007 SN Bigfoot (a steal at $6.69/sixer!!) and decided to do a vertical tasting so I had Bigfoot (foots, feet??) from 2001, 02, 03, 04, 05 and 07, don't know what happened to 06! The oldest I have is from 97, but I didn't throw that one into the mix. I like to age Bigfoot and it is surprising what happens to flavor and aroma over time! The 2007 BTW, is mighty fine right now IMO. Of all that I tasted the 2004 version was the one that didn't age as well, could just be that bottle, I know, but it was very angular in its flavor and aroma. The 2001, OTH, had aged very nicely, it had mellowed and developed some complexity of leather and dark fruit. The others were all pretty good and had reasonable balance to the hop/malt profile. All held up very well, and Bigfoot is a good beer to put away for awhile! It's OK to drink em fresh, but put em aside for a bit and see what some age does to them.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Drinking an August Schell Pale Ale as I browse eGullet right now. August Schell is the second oldest brewery in the United States in New Ulm, MN.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Had two new ones (to me anyway) last night at the Flying Pig Saloon in Malvern, PA, a terrific, funky eclectically stocked beer bar.

Bell's Hop Slam Double IPA, was a real ass-kicker, but surprisingly smooth despite the big hop bang, full of muted citrus and powerful floral notes in the aroma and in the mouth.

Weyerbacher Bourbon Barrell Aged Insanity, the well know string ale with the added oomph of the bourbon barrell, successful in every way, and a very nice sweet twist on this monster beer. It was near smoky, full of vanilla and brown sugar, a great dessert beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My beer of choice is Pilsner Urquell, however a new beer, to the stores around here is "Old Bob" by Ridley`s in Suffolk. It`s another mild tasting bitter type but with citrus aroma with the hops even though they`re fuggles :huh: Still nice beverage.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Brooklyn Dark Chocolate

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Got a Troix Pistoles from unibroue playign Beer Poker last week, that was a good find, and a great beer. I'm maybe a bit more partial to fin du monde, but all of U's offerings are top notch IMHO. Also got an Old Speckled Hen, good go-to ale in my Beer Notebook

Found an unusual brew in a tavern in my neighborhood, the Firkin Tavern in West Trenton, and it was a bourbon barrell aged brown ale from Buffalo Bill, of Pumpkin Ale fame (I didn't know the brand made any other beers...). It was sweet with lots of caramel and vanilla notes, but not obtrusively so. Definitely a dessert beer. It actually tasted like a beer float! A nice surprise for my first visit to this relatively new place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up Farmhouse Brewing's Barrel Aged Farmhouse Porter the other week, and have had a little trepidation about trying it.

I've had a couple Bourbon Barrel aged beers that haven't done much for me (Allagash Curieux comes to mind).

But, I like Bourbon and I like Beer, so I've lived in hope.

And I do like this one. The porter itself is a nice pour. Chocolate, coffee and caramel. The 4 months of aging in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels give it another layer of sweet complexity and scent. Not overly sweet; but, definitely a beer to enjoy after dinner or maybe in front of a crackling fire. A winter warmer, which means it's perfect for the foggy, damp Summers in San Francisco.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Had my annual bottle of Red Stripe (the best of the lot at a beachside bar here in St Croix USVI), and later I was able to snag a sixer of Virgin Island Brewing's Blackbeard Ale, contract brewed by Shipyard in Maine, a pleasant brown ale with a nice, refreshing hop bite.

Later snagged a couple of bottles of Jamaican Dragon Stout, coffee-rich and chest-warming, maybe not tghe best brew in 85 degree beach weather, but a very nice adult beverage poolside at night with a Montecristo White Label and a Ghurka Reserve toro.

Thanks God there is decent beer or two on St Croix!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 3 weeks later...

Has everyone given up drinking now that it's spring? I know we're all jealous of Rich drinking red stripe in St. Croix, but... I know someone somewhere is drinking beer. I recently had Victory's new Donnybrook Stout. Quite floral and light with low alcohol, easy to drink all night long. I celebrated Victory over Prohibition Day with their Throwback Lager. I'm not a lager girl so I deem it one of their most pedestrian offerings. Will be attending some Stone events here in PA next week.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Has everyone given up drinking now that it's spring? I know we're all jealous of Rich drinking red stripe in St. Croix, but... I know someone somewhere is drinking beer. I recently had Victory's new Donnybrook Stout. Quite floral and light with low alcohol, easy to drink all night long. I celebrated Victory over Prohibition Day with their Throwback Lager. I'm not a lager girl so I deem it one of their most pedestrian offerings. Will be attending some Stone events here in PA next week.

I visited the Victory brewery in Downingtown last weekend and had a pint of what they called, simply, Dry Stout. From your description, it sounds almost identical to the Donnybrook Stout and, on their website, the beer list at the restaurant appears to have substituted the Donnybrook Stout for the Dry Stout. What I drank was truly extraordinary, it packed a wallop of flavor (pun intended, for those who know Victory) for a beer with less than 4% alchohol and is a nice complement to the Storm King for their beer lineup.

The other beer I tried while I was there was Uncle Teddy's Bitter, which was also a fine an example of the style. With most breweries seeking to outdo each other on the hops or the abv or barrel aging, these days, it was nice to see one of America's best breweries offering two low abv beers in the English tradition that were packed with flavor. I would certainly like to see other breweries sit up and take notice of what Victory is doing.

Has everyone given up drinking now that it's spring?

Gosh, I hope not. If you are right I guess I might be able to purchase beer at a better price though....

Drinking a Bayern Brewing Killarney red lager. Its different, not exactly in a way that I prefer although some people my like it. It really tastes like a Bass ale mixed with Killian's Irish Red.

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com