• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

mmmmmmm delicious russian imperial stout

I forget the brand, but there is a black & white photo of rasputin on the label

omg I love this beer, it tastes very similar (at least to me) to founder's breakfast stout - another favorite

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 2 weeks later...

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

Yum!

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

mmmmmmm delicious russian imperial stout

I forget the brand, but there is a black & white photo of rasputin on the label

omg I love this beer, it tastes very similar (at least to me) to founder's breakfast stout - another favorite

Probably North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Good stuff. At 8.9% ABV, a little strong for me, though. I usually stick with their Old No. 38 Stout, which is also tasty, but, has a more modest 5.6% ABV.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We had a few beers last night (Bison Farmhouse Ale, Deschutes Jubeale) but, the one that really stood out was the Alaskan Brewing Winter Ale.

Instead of going the holiday potpourri route, they flavor their holiday ale with sitka spruce tips.

I was a little worried that it would be PineSol in a bottle.

It's not, and it's quite delicious.

Not very hoppy, it's a malt forward beer with the ethereal spruce flavor floating in the background. Interesting stuff!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Last night the co-founder of Rogue along with a few other Northwest industry professionals hosted an event to discuss the legal aspects of the microbrew industry.

Basically two hours of education combined with great food and many cups of several of Rogue's best beers. Then an after party at The Eugene City Brewery which is owned by Rogue.

From what I can remember from the event and after party I had a few less than last year:

Honey Orange Wheat

Track Town

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor

Kells Lager

American Amber

Imperial India Pale Ale

Dead Guy Ale

Brutal Bitter

Double Hop Red

Yellow Snow Ale

Some Salmon Named Ale

And another which I don't remember that had an orange and blue illustration on the bottle

:rolleyes:

Edited by Audiofan2 (log)

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

2 nights ago from Michael's Deli in King of Prussia, PA

Lagunitas Brown Shugga that was very complex, I had to think too much about it to drink it down easy. I do like that it listed the I.B.U. on the bottle, 51.1. It wasn't all that sweet as the name implies.

And finally...

Old Peculier Which wasn't Peculier at all, just dark and yummy. I can make this a new habit.

A Corona drinker at a bar said to me last week, "I don't drink any beer that I can't see through." "Why drink a beer if you already know what's on the other side?" I replied.

And I saw Tria in CC Philadelphia has J.W. Lees harvest ale on the menu! I'll be there next!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

[...]A Corona drinker at a bar said to me last week, "I don't drink any beer that I can't see through." "Why drink a beer if you already know what's on the other side?" I replied.

[...]

Absolutely!

I wish I'd have thought have thought of that incredibly clever remark!

I promise to borrow it in the very near future.

Oh, and, Brown Shugga is deadly. I do not recommend consumption in any circumstances involving motor vehicles. Pedestrian only beer.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

This weeks purchase was Samuel Adams Winter Lager.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Millstream Schild Brau Amber, brewed in the Amana Colonies. I brought some of this home with me when I was down there on business, and finally got around to drinking some of it. I had planned to have some while in Iowa, but my hotel room's mini-fridge's setting was too low, and the stuff froze. Fortunately no bottles burst.

The brew surviveed, and it is a very good amber lager.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Went to Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA yesterday. Brought home a growler of Prima Pils, a 750 mL bottle of V-12 (my all time favorite of theirs aside from their 10th anniv alt beer) and tried their scarlet fire Rauchbier while I was there. It was excellent although I can tolerate only about 4 oz. at a time. It would be great with BBQ.

They did have Uncle Teddy's Bitter last week but I missed it!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Went to Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA yesterday. Brought home a growler of Prima Pils, a 750 mL bottle of V-12 (my all time favorite of theirs aside from their 10th anniv alt beer) and tried their scarlet fire Rauchbier while I was there. It was excellent although I can tolerate only about 4 oz. at a time. It would be great with BBQ.

They did have Uncle Teddy's Bitter last week but I missed it!

I like their Hop Devil. It is a bit difficult to get their beers out here on the West coast.

www.sacramentocook.com

Victory's only been available here the past year or so I'd estimate (or maybe i never noticed?) but it's very popular at my local hangout. I tend to go for the prima pils and Hopdevil

Edited by Malkavian (log)

I've been so happy lately because my local Costco is selling a Belgian sampler case with a six each of Leffe Blond, Hoegaarden, and Stella Artois. $18.99. Recently, a BevMo opened nearby, first one in Az, and they carry the Boont, Pranqster, and the Unibroues we enjoy too. They also have a great daily price on Alaskan Amber, our mainstay brew. Yay for Beer!

'Tis the sesason. . .

Had a Full Sail Wassail over the weekend. I found it lacking the spice and bite of previous releases. Seemed a bit on the watery side. I generally like Full Sail products, but this one did nothing for me.

By comparison, I followed that up with an Anchor Steam Christmas Ale. That was one complete brew. It had a good balance and didn't approch anything close to being too sweet.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Had this year's version of Sierra Nevada Celebration, and as usual, it was a spectacular brew, beatifully balancing hops and malt, and finsihing with that nice spicy pop.

Also had this year's version of Anchor Our Special Ale, it it's rich with plum and peach aromas, and some lovely, smoky charred whiskey barrel flavors hedged with black cherry and currant notes. An excellent year for OSA, IMHO.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Tried a Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale for the first time.

I generally don't like rice in beer and am not that fond of most beers made in the Japanese style. This one is quite interesting, though.

It still has the typical light body of a rice based beer; but, it is quite flavorful. The flavors are almost similar to a tart belgian ale. Different, though. A little sour and fruity. Kind of nutty, as well.

Intruiging and unique.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

One of this month's beer club selections was Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen.

It's a pretty odd bird, I have to say.

According to the label, the brewmaster visited the west coast a couple years ago. She really enjoyed many of the Extreme West Coast IPAs she tried. When she returned to Belgium, she decided to try her hand at making a highly hopped beer.

However, instead of using typical Left Coast style hops, she seems to have stuck with German Hops like Saaz. She also made a stylistic decision to stay with the ester-ey Belgian Ale style. Meaning there is some bubble-gum, spice, and banana in the middle tastes.

To me, the Hop-It it was more interesting than enjoyable. Certainly, not as tasty or interesting as the De Ranke XX Bitter, which is much closer in style to an actual West Coast IPA.

On the same trip to the liquor store, I picked up the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, yet another IPA style Belgian, which I am looking forward to trying soon.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

On the same trip to the liquor store, I picked up the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, yet another IPA style Belgian, which I am looking forward to trying soon.

We have had a few posts here in this thread on the Houblon IPA. The head is very large and overall the beer is quite good. I have purchased a couple and really liked it. Unfortunately, it seems to be getting harder to find. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

www.sacramentocook.com

We have had a few posts here in this thread on the Houblon IPA. The head is very large and overall the beer is quite good. I have purchased a couple and really liked it.  Unfortunately, it seems to be getting harder to find. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Wow, was the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel outstanding.

We tried it last night.

With the Hop-It, I sort of felt like the hops and the Belgian flavors were sitting in different corners of your drinking experience. Where the initial flavors were all hops, and then the later flavors were all Belgian, with no real connection between the two.

With the Chouffe, the hops and Belgian flavors are perfectly married, one leading to and complementing the other.

Easily one of the most enjoyable beers I can remember having recently. A real example of the beer maker's artistry.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA