• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

Ayinger Oktoberfest. Absolutely incredible, the best beer I've had all month. I'd like to find out more about this brewery and its other products. I tried their Ur-Weisse, which was very light but did not like as much. As far as lighter wheat beers it's gotta be as good as Caracole's Troublette to get my attention.

Ayinger Oktoberfest. Absolutely incredible, the best beer I've had all month. I'd like to find out more about this brewery and its other products. I tried their Ur-Weisse, which was very light but did not like as much. As far as lighter wheat beers it's gotta be as good as Caracole's Troublette to get my attention.

Very solid lineup across the board- definitely try the Dunkel (Altbairisch) if you can find it. On the stronger side both the Maibock and Doppelbock (Celebrator) are arguably the best representations that you will find of their respective styles, well worth looking into.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an accidental bender yesterday - found a little pub with a fantastic beer list and the next thing I knew...oops!

Let's see, I had the following:

1) Hercules Double IPA - super hoppy and very rich, but definitely refreshing

2) Duchesse de Bourgogne - fantastic Flemish sour ale

3) Schlenkerla Rauchbier - have become a big fan of this smokey marzen

4) Konings Hoeven Quadruppel - really rich, fruity, candy-like finish

And last but certainly not least...

5) JW Lee Vintage Ale - this ale was aged in casks used to age Lagavulin...tough to describe this one other than WOW...but i'll try...lots of sweet roasted, caramel with a very smokey background...really, really great stuff even if it was a pricey bottle!

Damn, that's a fine day of beer.  Do tell us about the pub in which you found these splendid brews!

The Brick Store Pub in Decatur - looking forward to working my way through the extensive beer list they have. Folks there are very into beer and I had a great time discussing the different brews they carry.

The food was very good as well - simple straightforward items that really allow you to have some fun picking out beers to match up with your meal.

Cool atmosphere - it has a few tables outside and a great horseshoe bar downstairs. No televisions or loud distractions - definitely a space created with the idea of sitting down and having good conversation while you enjoy some fabulous brews. They also have an upstairs bar as well - kind of felt bad making the bartender go up and down the stairs for a few of those beers, but it was worth it!

Here's a link to their website - not sure if the beer lists are completely up to date as I believe they are constantly adding new things...

Brick Store Pub

it got really warm here so when i got home from work - and grocery shopping- i WANTED a beer so had a tsing tao - first half quite cold, the rest with dinner. light, a bit hoppy and just what i needed.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm having to type this with one hand so I don't have to put down my second bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dark (glad I typed that before I go fetch me another one!!!). :raz: It's a nice dark beer from "The World's Oldest Brewery" in Friesing, Germany...is that pronounced "Freezing Germany?" :unsure:

Hey Tad, why don't you tell the folks about that 11.4% alcohol beer you brought over recently...you know, that night we got stupid!!! :wink:

hey cool to see two people near where i live (sorta, ill be in aventura for 2 more weeks befor i go back to NY) anyway, i frequent the Whole Foods for beer around here. Microman is a great distributor and where they get 90% of their stock. In the last week i had-

Rogue Morimoto Imperial pilsner - expecting this to be a beer that was light and made for fish it was definatly not. Strong with alot of bite upfront, very smooth on the tongue, hoppy throughout, a bit of citrus. One of the most beautiful bottles ive seen, really great.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/12690.jpg

Lamar st. Pale ale-

Thin drinkable ale, mediocre at best, good for watching a game or laying out in the sun.

A dark hefe, but the name i cant remember right now.

Whole foods just got a bunch of new stuff, the first thing i grabbed was a St. Peters English Ale, and St. Peter's Golden Ale.

HAve just tried the English Ale so far, A bit bitter at first, as my pallet warmed up to it was not as pronounced. Decent english ale all around. Also comes in a great green pint bottle that i think would be cool for bar infusions and trying small batches of infusions.

A few weeks ago i tried the Duchesse de Bourgogne, what a cool beer. Best i think in a wineglass or some other petit stemware. Sour and fruity but complex and "grown up" at the same time. Its like the sophisticated cusin to the Lindemans lambics.

thats about it as of late.

Brendan

We had several bottles of Belgian Trappist and Abby Ales with Smithwicks (my favorite everyday beer) to clear the pallet in between including:

Trappist Roquefort #10 (Just as good as Chimay Grand Reserve but not worth twice the money)

Chimay Grand Reserve (May be the finest beer of it's kind)

Chimay Cing Cents (good for a light ale)

Assorted others that I can't remember the names of.

We did have one truly exceptional lighter ale, I need to get back to the store and try to figure out what it was. It was definitely a keeper.

Next time we need more tasters or less beer :laugh: That’s funny “less beer.”

We just need more practice. :biggrin:

had my favorite beer in the world yesterday: trappist rochefort 8 and unfortunately now I am drinking some dogfish 60 min IPA----doesn't taste that good and I'm too lazy to leave the apartment

trappist roquefort, eh? mmm cheese beer :wink:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

with Lindt 99% choco for me.

on fiday i had a couple of Weihenstephaner and Chimay tripel on tap at my pub in AMS. but then they have these standard beers there all the time so nothing that special anymore. the barman took the Grimbergen tripel from me at once saying 'i can see you're struggling with it. surprised you even ordred it', after 30mins and i was barely sipping the disgusting thing [well i thought it'd be 'better' on tap, perhaps.]. not fun anymore when your bartenders know what you like or dislike.

I've got to dip my toe into these forums so what better place to start than with beer. My choices this weekend were England's Boddington's Pub Ale and Summit Grand, a Bohemian style Pilsner brewed in St. Paul, MN.

Two years ago we were making our way through England and Wales hitting the oldest pubs we could find in the towns we visited--some in continuous operation since the 12th Century. Mostly I would drink Guinness but when we got to Dogellau, Wales in the Snowdonia National Forest area and stayed at Dolserau Hall, a country inn in the middle of a sheep pasture. The inn ran out of Guinness and the innkeeper offered Boddington's. I've been hooked on it ever since. Boddington's is a smooth creamy light colored ale with the same smoothness as Guinness.

Summit Grand is not often on tap in bars because the Summit Pale Ale seems to be the choice in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Boddington's Pub Ale is rarer but two places within a block of where I work serve it, the Local, an Irish Pub and Brits, a Brittish Pub in Minneapolis.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Rogue Morimoto Imperial pilsner - expecting this to be a beer that was light and made for fish it was definatly not. Strong with alot of bite upfront, very smooth on the tongue, hoppy throughout, a bit of citrus.  One of the most beautiful bottles ive seen, really great.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/12690.jpg

Whole foods just got a bunch of new stuff, the first thing i grabbed was a St. Peters English Ale, and St. Peter's Golden Ale.

HAve just tried the English Ale so far, A bit bitter at first, as my pallet warmed up to it was not as pronounced. Decent english ale all around.    Also comes in a great green pint bottle that i think would be cool for bar infusions and trying small batches of infusions.

I agree with you on the Rogue Imperial Pilsner. I saved the bottle, it is ceramic. This is a very strong beer, I only had half the bottle in one sitting. It does have a nice top however which allowed me to drink the rest a day later. Rouge was serving this beer on tap at their brewery about a month ago, however I had to drive and they had many other good beers on tap I had not tried yet.

Funny you also mentioned the St. Peters in the same post. I also saved the unique bottle from this one too. The beer didn't really stand out much to me, don't know why it just seemed kind of bland.

Over the weekend I had a Delirium Nocturnum. It was a med. dark Belgian Ale. A few months ago I tried the Delirium Tremens which was a bit lighter Belgian Ale and in my opinion tatsed better.

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

Asahi Dry...last night---went great with the smoked chicken and baked beans...Oh Yum!

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

I had an Orion, an import from Okinawa for the first time the other night at a local Hibachi restaurant. Smooth, clean, I really liked it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Susan in FL....sorry I forgot to wish you a happy anniversary. It was 1 year yesterday when you started this thread!!! :shock:  :wub:

Cool! Thank you very much. I'm usually in tune with anniversary dates and that sort of thing and I missed it. Cheers, to ALL.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Basketball playoffs are giving me the excuse to try some new beers while watching, hopefully the Kings will win a game!

I really liked Marin Brewing Co.'s IPA. I personally prefer fragrant IPAs (Racer 5, Pelican) and this was a good one.

I also had a Goose Island IPA and a Sculler's IPA. I liked the Goose Island better as it was not as bitter.

Next on the list is a Siletz Red Ale and a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA.

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

I ran out of Summit Grand Pilsener so bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the NASCAR Talledega race today. I know they are not a sponsor and I will not drink Bud. I suppose if I was actually at the race I would get strange looks.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

I ran out of Summit Grand Pilsener so bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the NASCAR Talledega race today. I know they are not a sponsor and I will not drink Bud. I suppose if I was actually at the race I would get strange looks.

The Wall St. Journal writer who searched the US for the perfect beer bar made a comment something along the lines of ... "the tougher the bar crowd, the wimpier the beer."

Don't let those guys at Talledega get you down!