• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

Drinking the last bottle of this years Rogue "Santa's Private Reserve Ale" nice and hoppy with a nice bitter finish. It tastes best at about 50f or so. It also goes well with compound  butter(unsalted Vermont cultured butter, equal part raw egg yolk), chopped Wagyu tenderloin, smoked Brittany sea salt, smoked Spanish pimente paprika, and fresh ground black pepper, on toasted Balthazar baguette slices. Nice little 'round midnight snack.

Oh my goodness, Matt. That sounds too good.

I've gotta look into that St Bernardus 12.

I had Old Dominion Millenium with Tiramisu last night as a 'round midnight snack. Actually, it was when SNL was coming on.

Yes life is good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've come to the conclusion that St Bernardus 12 is one of the five or so best beers in the world. Drank it yesterday on tap. Yes, I can get it in two locations on tap in Boston, life is good.

I have a bottle in the fridge, I may have to drink it right now and see for myself.

Edited by Tad (log)

Has anyone else had the Full Sail Slipknot Imperial IPA?

Tried it this weekend and thought it was a good; but, somewhat unbalanced beer.

To me the body is a bit thin for an IPA, let alone an Imperial IPA. I also found it lacking in malt and bitterness. Most of what I got out of it were the extremely floral fragrance hops.

It is certainly not something I could drink a lot of.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Stopped into the Grey Lodge Pub in Philly last night to sample some beers from Flying Bison Brewing in Buffalo, NY. Served last night was the brewery's Scotch Ale, with nice peaty malt, their Bird of Prey IPA, full of Kent Goldings hops, and the hit of the night, their impossibly silken soft Oatmeal Stout, served on a beer engine brought to the Grey Lodge by the brewers themselves. I dont think Ive ever had a beer with such a soft mouthfeel and yet with such a rich,coffee aroma and flavor. A magnificent beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I received a box from Liquid Solutions yesterday. If you don't know about them and care about great beer, you should. They are a store somewhere in Oregon that will ship some of those great west coast beers around the country to folks in states where the laws permit beer shipments.

Anyhow, I tried two of the beers - New Belgium's Abbey Style Ale (a dubbel) and Elysian's The Wise (ESB). Both were incredible. The New Belgium was less sweet and had more banana esters than the typical Belgian dubbel and the Elysian was a cross between an ESB and an IPA - incredibly fruity and hoppy with a nice malt backbone.

Then I sat back and watched the ACC tournament. A very satisfying beer and basketball day.

A while back, when I was more active in my old club, we used to order from Belmont Station in bulk and split the order. With the freight added in it made much more sense to order 6-10 cases at a time. It is expensive, but sometimes you just gotta have the Alaskan Smoked Porter, Pike XXXXX Stout, etc. Liquid Solutions seems much more user-friendly, and like something I may get back into. Thanks for the tip.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Yes, thanks from me for the tip, too. Supposedly the law now permits beer and wine shipments into Florida. I've been getting wine shipments, but haven't yet tried ordering beer.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

For whatever reason I have been on a Brown Ale quest lately- you know the routine, you get jonesing for something that is not available and each time you try a different substitute it is less than satisfying and gives you a bigger hole to fill than before. For me that hole was the old Oregon Brown Ale- nothing spectacular but a solid little number that was more chocolaty/roasty than caramel-like with a noticable kiss of hops. Oregon was Jim Koch's (of Sam Adams fame) other line of beers that specialized in quality cheap beer (intro price was $5/6 pack) that ruffled quite a few feathers with its choice of name (that's another story, perhaps). Anyway, seeing the new Samuel Adams Brown Ale probably instigated this whole thing. Turns out the beers are not similar at all, and the SA doesn't really do it for me- too much caramel.

I never really noticed it before, but there really aren't that many Brown Ales available in my neck of the woods. I went through about a half dozen tries when out of the blue my local shop introduces some Avery selections. I just got a sixer of their Ellie's Brown Ale and- Bingo!- that's the stuff. Stylistically it is in the same ballpark as what I wanted plus, not so surprisingly I guess, it's better than I hoped it would be. Better I tells ya, with a pretty darn impressive nose for a brown. Aspects of it remind me of freshly milled chocolate malt. A Brown Ale I could get psyched about- who'da thunk it?

aka Michael

Had 2 large bottles of Chimay Cing Cents last night while I watched bats winging around in the sky over my property. I must learn to quit doing that on weekdays when I have to work the next day!! :wink:

Had 2 large bottles of Chimay Cing Cents last night while I watched bats winging around in the sky over my property. I must learn to quit doing that on weekdays when I have to work the next day!! :wink:

Ditto!!

Last night a bottle of SNCA + a partial bottle of O'Hara's Celtic Stout. On a Monday night no less.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Blue Moon Belgian White.  A wheat ale.  Extremely smooth. Have to admit that most of the time it's Bud Lite.

I tried a Blue Moon earler today.

It was good but I wouldn't call it beer.

I also had my first Guinness today... oh the time waisted. :sad: (it's no Chimay but it's close, it's also cheeper and easer to find)

Then I had a Bass Ale... oh the money waisted. :sad: (I could've had another Guinness)

Oh and several Bud lites too

stumpled upon this place in centre of Shanghai yesterday which brews German style beer, both light and dark. price is same as at home no wonder hardly any chinese there [besides i don't think they know what real beers taste like]. after 3 weeks of something that resembles 'beer' i really appreciate the German style brew even if it's nothing like my favourite Bamberger stuff.

however, Lhasa beer i had in Tibet wasn't too shabby.

cheers from Shanghai

For whatever reason I have been on a Brown Ale quest lately-

Have you tried the Smuttynose Old Brown Dog?

Had it on tap last week and was quite impressed. It's definitely a thicker beer than yer Newcastle. Nice body, some hops, and a not too sweet chocolatey flavor.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

For whatever reason I have been on a Brown Ale quest lately-

Have you tried the Smuttynose Old Brown Dog?

Had it on tap last week and was quite impressed. It's definitely a thicker beer than yer Newcastle. Nice body, some hops, and a not too sweet chocolatey flavor.

Yeah- it's a good beer. I liked the Avery better but that is also a good option to have around. Browns are always sooo good on draught. I guess that's true for almost all beers, but still...

aka Michael