• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

Over the weekend before, during, and after crabs I had good, fresh Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I expected that some light weight beer like Corona would be the best match with crabs, but this was refreshingly zesty and tasty. I'm ready for some more real soon.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Went over to Society Hill Beverages on Wednesday evening. Picked up a case of Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale and a newly arrived case of Flying Fish Octoberfish. Got both home and threw one bottle of each in the freezer to cool them down quickly. Wow, a lot of great taste. Both the Octoberfish and the Punkin' are very strong this year and recommend both highly. My holiday weekend is all set.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll admit to drinnking far more "juice of the grade" than I do "fermentation of the wheat" (in this case), but I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned my favorite -- Hacker-Pschorr Weisse. Maybe its unique taste is an acquired one.

Sidecar Ron

Wednesday night at the Grey Lodge in NE Philly I had this year's edition of Flying Fish Oktoberfish, a truly great year it is too, rich and ,malty with just enough hop bite to make it all in perfect balance. To me, the best beer Flying Fish has made to date.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I don't know much about this beer, beyond the fact that it is from France and has goats, hops, and barley on the label.

Brasserie Lebbe L'Amalthee

Pours a cloudy brown amber like an unfiltered cider with a decent head. Initially, I thought it a bit dry; but, as it warmed, it opened up with a delicious richness. I guess I would put it in the same family as Saison Dupont or Foret. However it is richer than either and has none of the "bubblegum" flavor common in Belgian Ales nor the sourness of a farmhouse ale. Unique and delicious.

To continue with the goat theme we also had a bottle of Anchor Bock. Initially when I tasted this I thought it was closest to their holiday beer without spices. I still stand by that; but, have identified the primary flavors as rich creamy caramel. It is nearly too sweet and rich for me to finish half a large bottle.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a 2005 Sierra Nevada Summerfest (at last!), and am starting a New Belgium Blue Paddle Pilsener Lager. It's the first of each of these for me; I'm in California.

The 2005 Summerfest was what I was hoping for, and tasted as good as I remember other vintages. It has nice hops flavor for a lager, along with being smooth and refreshing. This is my kind of light beer -- not to be confused with lite beer. :raz:

I'm a huge fan of the Unibroue products we have available in Canada. 750 ml dark brown glass, corks held in place with wire enclosures, and alc/vol of 7 to 10.5% - what's not to like?!

Maudite is the most approachable in the range, I find, but others, including Terrible are fabulous examples of the brewers craft. I picked up a bottle of theirs a little while ago that had a gorgeous label, and a beer that had notes of green apple. Brilliantly refreshing on a hot Vancouver pm!

Anyhoo, last 3 were aforementioned Maudite, Philips Brewing Company "Amnesia" which is a mind-blowingly bitter double IPA! Its cloudy, as most of the Philips range that I've tried are, and hoppy in the extreme! I've been trying to come up with a food match for this beer, and figure that it could take the place of malt vinegar with ones fish and chips! Sleeman's Amber Ale is my house beer of the moment, but only because they've discontinued making Steam, which in my book was the best beer in Canada.

Missing the Steam!

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Back in August, BonVivantNL mentioned the Scottish beer Innis & Gunn, and lamented the fact that it is not for export. The good news is that it is currently being exported, at least to British Columbia. One would assume that it will become more widespread in the future.

It's a good beer; their claim to fame is 30 days aging in new American oak, and the result is a beer heavy in vanillins. I personally would say "too heavy", but it doesn't at all taste wooded in the way that a wine would. I'm sure that many people will love it, just tend to prefer hoppy ones like the Phillips Amnesiac that jtcookie mentioned.

thanks, Walter Moar. at least there's some hope! :) crossing my fingers hoping they will send it across the channel in a near future. a mate in London is visiting next month. i'll try to remember to ask him to bring one or two in his carry-on :)

Last weekend I was in Munich and drank *all* the Hefeweizen. All of it. I would be amazed if there is any left. Paulaner, HackerPfschorr, lots more I can't even remember.

Last night I had two pints of draft Kirin. Was kind of meh. Could have done without it.

Luckily, I am off to Vienna and Bratislava for a week, will report on the Happy Monk when I return!

• 3 weeks later...

This forum has been dead for days. So, I will revive this older thread. I'm drinking stout. Homebrewed yummy, rich, sweet, stout.

14 pounds of Canadian Malting Pale

2 pounds of barley flakes

1 pound roast barley

1 pound chocolate malt

For 40 litres.

Hopped to about 20 HBU with homegrown fuggles.

1.057 -> 1.015.

Wyeast 1084.

After a day of renovating a bathroom while it was snowing outside, this stout is wonderful.

Preamble...I've been drinking a lot of dark beers this summer and fall. Sheesh, it is almost Winter! A lot of them haven't done much for me. Too strong, too sweet, not bitter enough...

Anyway, boy, I found a tasty one tonight. Moonlight Brewing's Bony Fingers.

I like their Death and Taxes black beer and Twist of Fate bitter; but, this one combines the best of both. Fairly strong, very black, very bitter, very delicious.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Ah, Bony Fingers. I think I've had some of that somewhere in my beer travels and if I recall correctly, I loved it.

I haven't posted much about what I've been drinking lately because until recently, I hadn't tried anything new to me. What I did find last weekend was Kronenbourg 1664. After following the thread on this beer, I had to check it out. It's good for what it is, but just not my cup of tea.

At home we've continued to enjoy Shipyard Export Ale, and the Flying Dog ales, mostly. As for being out, we are happy to have found a bar whose Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap is always fresh. That's a good find.

Enjoyed at this month's dinner of the Dangerous Dining Club in the Philadelphia area, a beer dinner at Ortino's Northside in Zieglerville, PA, about 40 or so miles northwest of the city (ortinosnorthside.com):

Casco Bay Oktoberfest, rich, malty, with a decent caramel edge and an estimable hop bite;

Harpoon's Octoberfest, slightly metallic, with less malt and more hop prescence;

Maredsous Triple, a big ballsy tripel, strong at the first sip, with lovely sherry-like aromas and flavors;

Lagunitas Cappucino Stout, a beer that comes so close to the taste of a hot cup of cappucino, it messes with your head!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Last night I took a trip to Duclaw Brewery (Fell's Point in Baltimore) for their Barleywine release.

First, I had the old standby, Bad Moon Porter. I really enjoy this brew.

Then I tried the seasonal Barleywine, called Devil's Milk. At 11.5% this stuff is potent, but if is fruity (I swear I taste raspberry) and hoppy. It's not real bitter like an IPA, but has that fresh hops taste. Overall I think it's a damn good brew. I better be careful around this one.

Before ending the night I also tried the Twisted Kilt, which is a Scotch Ale. I was not a fan of this one at all. Way too sweet for my liking.

If any of you live in or near Baltimore, I'd suggest taking a trip to one of the Duclaw restaurants sometime. Now is a good time of year because they still have the Mad Bishop Oktoberfest on tap and the Devil's Milk was just released so it should be around for a bit before they run out. As for the staple brews, the Bad Moon Porter and Venon Pale Ale (they should just call it an IPA) are both really good brews.

I love Fell's Point. Your post brought back some nice memories from there. :wub: Doesn't it have some kind of record for the most bars within some square mile radius or something like that?

Just when I thought there was nothing new to be found around here, tonight Russ brought home a sixer of Kona Brewing Co.'s Fire Rock Pale Ale. ...Not bad! It's slightly sweet, light-bodied, tasty.

I love Fell's Point.  Your post brought back some nice memories from there.  :wub:  Doesn't it have some kind of record for the most bars within some square mile radius or something like that?

To be honest, I don't know. I've only lived here for a few months now. I actually think the South Side of Pittsburgh (especially along Carson St.) has more bars than Fell's Point, but I could be wrong on that. It may just seem that way because I haven't explored all of Fell's yet. Either way, there are definitely a lot of bars.

Hiya ladies and fellas.

I'm new here. I've been lurking around reading entire threads for the past few days. In some cases not realizing, I'm reading stuff from last.. November. My eyes are popping out of my head. My wife is calling me to bed. :wub:

I'm alternating between Warsteiner and Becks Dark. :wacko: