• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

More photos, these courtesy of Sam Iam, who sent them to me for posting.

Wine (BTW - who brought the white Bordeaux? Yellow label on the left? It was great.)

dsc_39650277-vi.jpg

The beautiful Mrs. Sam Iam (Joyce)

dsc_39660278-vi.jpg

Kris' friend and nephew check out the assortment of things to put on bread

dsc_39680280-vi.jpg

Fat Guy tends to the veal roast

dsc_39810296-vi.jpg

Liam gets some Mom time amidst all the hubbub

dsc_39870306-vi.jpg

Alex's braised shiitake mushrooms

dsc_40070345-vi.jpg

Kris' couscous salad

dsc_40080347-vi.jpg

Kris frying squash blossoms

dsc_40100351-vi.jpg

Ready to eat

dsc_40120355-vi.jpg

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone, especially Tammy for all of the effort that went into this event. It was great working with everyone.

Before leaving town, we stopped back at Zingerman's and bought some cheese, bread, banyuls vinegar, olive oil, etc. On our way home, we stopped at a cherry farm and picked up 20 lbs. of cherries for various pies and desserts. All just an added bonus to a wonderful weekend. Thanks again, Tammy.

jb

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone, especially Tammy for all of the effort that went into this event.  It was great working with everyone. 

Before leaving town, we stopped back at Zingerman's and bought some cheese,  bread, banyuls vinegar, olive oil, etc.  On our way home, we stopped at a cherry farm and picked up 20 lbs. of cherries for various pies and desserts.  All just an added bonus to a wonderful weekend.  Thanks again, Tammy.

jb

You're welcome, Jean - so glad you decided to make the drive from Chicago.

And I love that Banyuls vinegar - it's a fine, fine thing.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just in case you're not sick of this thread yet, here's some pictures from Friday night's small gathering (again courtesy of Sam Iam)

Jefferson Market

DSC_39480263-vi.jpg

If the Friday crew were a little worried about me leading them down this grungy alley, they didn't let it show...

DSC_39330248-vi.jpg

Our table in the back garden

DSC_39340249-vi.jpg

Dinner:

DSC_39400255-vi.jpg

DSC_39390254-vi.jpg

DSC_39380253-vi.jpg

DSC_39420257-vi.jpg

Excellent food, and Axis of Evil Finger Puppets - what more could one ask for in a restaurant?

DSC_39290244-vi.jpg

If you'd like to see all of Sam's pictures from the weekend, I've uploaded them here.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Im still dreaming about those blossoms. We have a few outside now on our zucchini plants and I asked Robin if we could pick them and stuff them.

I have a lot of pictures to post and I promise I'll do it this weekend. I started a new legal job and I'm exhausted at the end of the day. ( Im even too tired to cook or read my beloved cookbooks before bed :sad: )

Thanks tammy for hosting. Hopefully, you can make it for the Toronto gathering in September.

Thanks tammy for hosting.  Hopefully, you can make it for the Toronto gathering in September.

Probably not. Hard to do these sorts of things with the little guy. But you know... my parents live halfway to Toronto and would love to have the baby all to themselves, so perhaps I should give it some further thought.

If you're not sure what CaliPoutine is talking about, check out the thread.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Seems like a really good time was had by all.

Does anyone know why Musician's Tarts are so-called? This musician has never heard of them.

Pan, you'll have to find the recipe :wub:

on Epicurious.com. :biggrin::raz::rolleyes:

Everything will become clear to you, and you'll probably start playing your instrument door-to-door! :wacko:

:cool: Sam Iam

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

More photos, these courtesy of Sam Iam, who sent them to me for posting.

Wine (BTW - who brought the white Bordeaux? Yellow label on the left? It was great.) [End of quote]

It was a bottle of Graves :wub: that I grabbed as we were literally running out the door on Saturday. Same with the Armagnac :wub: on Friday night.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

If I may annotate CaliPoutine's pictures:

Picture 1: Devilkitty and his inexhaustable supply of light cream, on its way to becoming Cream of Mushroom (or, perhaps more accurately, Cream AND Mushroom) Soup.

Picture 2: Ms. jmsaul playing with her food. This creation soon became Roasted Cauliflower, which, if possible, was scarfed up even faster than at the last Gathering in Grand Rapids.

Picture 3: An assortment of fresh herbs, thoughtfully collected at the Farmers Market by Fat Guy.

Picture 4: Fat Guy, edsel, and our Zingerman's bread stash.

Picture 5: jmsaul and tammylc at the bread table.

Here is what I've uploaded so far.

gallery_25969_665_96381.jpg

gallery_25969_665_127059.jpg

gallery_25969_665_23653.jpg

gallery_25969_665_97973.jpg

gallery_25969_665_25044.jpg

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What a great time - food aside, it was very nice to meet people so now I have faces to go with usernames. I've been a lurker mainly, but this event has lured me out of hiding.

Jason was kind enough to change my username, so I am now mrs_devilkitty as my husband Charlie refers to me. :smile:

Though I've lived in southern MI most of my life, I'd never experienced Zingerman's or the Ann Arbor market, so the tours were a welcome widening of horizons.

Now I'm looking forward to future gatherings in the Heartland!

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of follow-up notes:

- I had a very positive interaction with the folks from Renaissance Acres Organic Herb Farm while at the farmers market. I checked out all the purveyors of herbs, Renaissance had the most fragrant herbs and the most interesting choices -- several varieties of thyme, basil, etc. They're online at the following very easy to remember web address:

http://www.provide.net/~raohf/

- I'd like to post the recipe for the tempura squash blossoms stuffed with caramelized zucchini in the RecipeGullet system, but I'm going to need some help because I was only marginally involved in the actual cooking. I also have the instructions from Katsuya for the Cafe Atlantico original version of the recipe, but am reluctant to post them because I've not actually cooked or tried the dish. Happy to provide my notes to someone who wants to take a stab at it, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A couple of follow-up notes:

- I had a very positive interaction with the folks from Renaissance Acres Organic Herb Farm while at the farmers market. I checked out all the purveyors of herbs, Renaissance had the most fragrant herbs and the most interesting choices -- several varieties of thyme, basil, etc. They're online at the following very easy to remember web address:

http://www.provide.net/~raohf/

- I'd like to post the recipe for the tempura squash blossoms stuffed with caramelized zucchini in the RecipeGullet system, but I'm going to need some help because I was only marginally involved in the actual cooking. I also have the instructions from Katsuya for the Cafe Atlantico original version of the recipe, but am reluctant to post them because I've not actually cooked or tried the dish. Happy to provide my notes to someone who wants to take a stab at it, though.

I think we had about 8 people marginally involved in the actual cooking. Here's what I wrote about it upthread:

The "recipe" such as it is:

Blanch zucchini in boiling water for 10 minutes. Stem, cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut into small dice. Cook in butter and olive oil with some kosher salt until browned and sweet. They said 10-20 minutes, but ours went a lot longer than that and never really got brown. But eventually it started tasting really good and that's when we stoppped cooking it.

Stuff into squash blossoms, dip in tempura batter, and deep fry until crispy. Eat immediately.

I think we had about 8 med-large zucchini. IIRC, I used a stick of butter and glug of olive oil. When they serve it at the Minibar, it's pureed - we didn't do that for this. We ended up with about 40 blossoms, but I don't know if the limiting factor was the blossoms or the zucchini or if there was just the right amount of each.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

What I found so odd was that my husband, who was tagging along, actually knew Tammy, had been to a party in someone else's house (A house in Ohio with a hidden room), and grew up within a few miles of where Devilkitty grew up.

The squash was fantastic. That should be an annnual tradition.

As for dried pears. I've seen them quite a few times. I would check out health food stores or the health food section of major stores. I am fairly sure Whole Foods would have them.