• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

I can't believe no one's posted for 3.5 hours! I guess we've all been chopping, stirring, cooking, etc. Anyhow, the first course is out, so we'll get back to you.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'll post an update. So far,we've had an amazing creamy and flavorful mushroom soup prepared by devilkitty. We've also had stuffed squash blossoms that were fabulous. They were stuffed with carmelized zucchini and then diped in tempura batter and fried(torakris). We've also had a wonderful roasted golden beet salad with onions, bacon and maytag blue. Then another wonderful salad was put before us. Couscous with green beans and butternut squash. This was served with a creamy smooth yogurt dressing. The first batch of dishes is being done by Bennett and my friend Janet( a non-egulleter).

Will update more after the next round of courses come out.

Wish you could be here!!

Damn! That's a hell of a menu! Looking forward to the next series of posts ... performed with over-fed and tired fingers I'm sure.

Congrats from the West coast of Canada.

A.

ps - PICTURES! We want PICTURES!!

I'm so mad too because I got up at 4 am so I could make it the airport on time.  If I had instead, just jumped in my car and started driving, I'd be in Ann Arbor by now. :angry: :angry: :angry:

=R=

Next time you can play co-pilot in the Fressermobile.

Hope everyone has a blast!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

oh lordy, I am so full. We had an excellent lake trout that was served with thinly sliced lemon and salt packed capers. That was served with green and wax beans with bacon. Then came the intermezzio of cubed watermelon sprinkled with very special old balsamic. Next came the veal shoulder roast with a pan sauce of reduced pan juices, white wine, fig, fig jam, sage, and apple cider vinegar( wow, that was a mouthful). The veal was presented with bowls of purple fingerling and red new potatoes, roasted with shallots and rosemary. Braised shiitakes rounded out the sides.

dishes are being cleared and the desset table is being set up. A huge whack of local blueberries and rasberries, two cakes from whole foods. ( carrot and chocolate mouse). Outrageous brownies, gelato, homeade vanilla ice cream and musiciams tarts.

Yummy.

Pictures to come.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

The Heartland Gathering is in the books. Everyone's gone home and most of the dishes are even done.

Thanks to everyone for coming, touring, shopping, cooking, and of course eating. It was excellent to meet and eat with you all.

G'night, folks.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

It's 9am the next morning and I'm still full, but comfortably so. That was an absolutely amazing meal, and it was great to be able to put faces to names. Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

It is 11:30 am and my kids have just forced to crawl out of bed...... :angry:

I am assuming most everyone is still sleeping as well since no pictures have been posted yet. :biggrin:

I just wanted to ask

When is the next one?!?!

Someone get a picture up of those incredible squash blossoms that had me slaving over the hot oil for almost an hour!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It is 11:30 am and my kids have just forced to crawl out of bed...... :angry:

I am assuming most everyone is still sleeping as well since no pictures have been posted yet. :biggrin:

I just wanted to ask

When is the next one?!?!

Someone get a picture up of those incredible squash blossoms that had me slaving over the hot oil for almost an hour!

I loved those squash blossoms. Those and Kris' couscous salad were my favorites of the night. The other picture I'm dying to see is the one Randi took of the multiple containers of cream that Devilkitty was putting in that soup!!!

And, Kris, you are lucky! My kid had me up at 7!!!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

And, Kris, you are lucky! My kid had me up at 7!!!!

Guess that means I "win." Liam had me up at 6:45. :sad:

I agree that the squash blossoms were the best thing we made. I'm writing up a report write now for my personal journal/blog, and here's what just I wrote about them:

Great story behind the stuffed squash blossoms.  Last December I had dinner at Jose's Minibar in DC, and had this amazing caramelized zucchini dish.  There's tons of zucchini in the market right now, but zucchini isn't usually the most interesting thing to cook or eat.  Except this caramelized thing, which was amazing and which I thought we could attempt to recreate based on the vague directions I got when I asked about it at the restaurant.  At one point yesterday, we leave Fat Guy watching some bags and manning the 2 pm check-in point while we go off to grab some last minute items.  While we're gone he calls Cafe Atlantico (where the Minibar is), asks to speak to the chef by name, and says "Hey, this is Steve Shaw from New York.  Can I get that caramelized zucchini recipe from you?"  The guy on the other end of the phone is happy to oblige, and Steven writes it all down, while simultaneously trying to get far enough from the Chinese Lion Dance group to hear but also stay close enough to the bags to see them.  We're not sure if the chef actually knew who Steve was or just didn't want to take the chance of seeming stupid in case he was someone important.  Definitely a lesson in chutzpah.

So, armed with the instructions for caramelizing the zucchini, Steven and I start discussing various presentation options.  As I'm leaving the market I pass someone selling squash blossoms.  I've never had them myself, but I know that they are frequently stuffed and deep fried, so I figure that they might make a great container for our caramelized zucchini mush and buy two small buckets worth.  We decide on a tempura batter and convince Kris to staff the wok for the frying (Kris-Japan-tempura - it seemed the right thing to do). This was definitely our most ambitious and most tasty dish of the night.

The "recipe" such as it is:

Blanch zucchini in boiling water for 10 minutes. Stem, cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut into small dice. Cook in butter and olive oil with some kosher salt until browned and sweet. They said 10-20 minutes, but ours went a lot longer than that and never really got brown. But eventually it started tasting really good and that's when we stoppped cooking it.

Stuff into squash blossoms, dip in tempura batter, and deep fry until crispy. Eat immediately.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I just wanted to ask

When is the next one?!?!

I'm crazy enough to be willing to host it again next year, assuming anyone wants to come back and do it again. Is your trip from Japan a yearly occurence? We could attempt scheduling congruity...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Here are some pictures, in rough chronological order. My apologies to the folks whose faces I neglected to capture.

The Zingerman's Bakehouse tour: a French contraption used to transfer the unbaked loaves of bread into one of the ovens (also French).

gallery_10547_1513_467564.jpg

A portion of our rapt tour group. From left to right: our tour leader (Frank?); annarborfoodie; Mr. Jean Blanchard; Fat Guy; Jean Blanchard (partially obscured); edsel; Ms. Sam Iam; Sam Iam; CaliPoutine (her hair, anyway).

gallery_10547_1513_449462.jpg

Corn, beets, and onions at Kerrytown Farmers' Market

gallery_10547_1513_783211.jpg

A dragon showed up at Sparrow Market.

gallery_10547_1513_539638.jpg

The aforementioned squash blossoms being stuffed by Ms. jmsaul. That's Devilkitty in the background, wearing the green apron.

gallery_10547_1513_71528.jpg

torakris cooking the blossoms, with her nephew and Japanese friend looking on.

gallery_10547_1513_190160.jpg

Alex isn't really threatening the picture-taker. I'm slicing roasted golden beets for Guajolote's Beet Salad. On the counter in front of me is a tray of CaliPoutine's decadent brownies.

gallery_10547_1513_932870.jpg

torakris's nephew's green and yellow beans with bacon.

gallery_10547_1513_99098.jpg

Mrs. Devilkitty playing the Highland pipes and helping the sun to set. In the background, the far right-hand unit is tammlc's place.

gallery_10547_1513_850221.jpg

Jean and Mr. Blanchard and Devilkitty working on something.

gallery_10547_1513_815422.jpg

The famous veal roast.

gallery_10547_1513_929565.jpg

Sam IAm waving, Ms. Sam Iam in the foreground, Maria on the right, Mr. Maria in the back.

gallery_10547_1513_254172.jpg

At the dinner tables. Those are Sam Iam's Musician's Tarts in the foreground.

gallery_10547_1513_692070.jpg

And, finally, our hosts tammylc and husband Eric.

gallery_10547_1513_2758.jpg

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Lisa has some at various stages of the process. She'll probably post them later tonight (she doesn't have an eGullet login, so I'll post a link if necessary).

torakris, what did your Japanese friend and son think of the gathering? Some would think it is strange to drive a long distance to get together with people you've never met face-to-face just to eat and cook. Everything looks wonderful.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We posted the preliminary menu, but I thought we should commit to posterity how it actually ended up going out. We had a little cook's meeting to discuss the order of the courses and what to serve with what, and this is what we ended up with:

Crostini with Fig Jam and Goat Cheese

Tempura Zucchini Blossoms, Stuffed with Caramelized Zucchini

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Caprese Salad

Guajolote's Beet Salad with Bacon

Couscous Salad with Butternut Squash, Green Beans and Yogurt Dressing

Lake Trout with Lemon Caper Sauce

Green Beans and Bacon

Watermelon Cubes with Gold Label Balsalmic

Braised Veal Shoulder Roast with Sage, Garlic and Dried Figs

Roasted Red and Purple Fingerling Potatoes with Rosemary

Braised Shiitake Mushrooms

Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies

Musician's Tarts

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Zingerman's Gelato

Carrot Cake

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm crying with regret. If there is a next edition, I'm making it a top priority.

At least I'm now in New Orleans where I can effectively drown my sorrows.

Way to go, folks!!!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

By the way, is there any chance of getting the recipe for those Musician's Tarts?  I'm now wishing I'd managed to swipe some for today...  ;-)

There sure is! :biggrin: Just head over to www.epicurious.com and search for Musician's Tart. I found it there a couple of years ago, and have made it several times since. Dried pears are used in the paste under the nuts, and I'm having trouble finding them in Toledo now. :unsure: If you find a source in Ann Arbor, please let me know.

Sam

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Seems like a really good time was had by all.

Does anyone know why Musician's Tarts are so-called? This musician has never heard of them.

Michael aka "Pan"

By the way, is there any chance of getting the recipe for those Musician's Tarts?  I'm now wishing I'd managed to swipe some for today...  ;-)

There sure is! :biggrin: Just head over to www.epicurious.com and search for Musician's Tart. I found it there a couple of years ago, and have made it several times since. Dried pears are used in the paste under the nuts, and I'm having trouble finding them in Toledo now. :unsure: If you find a source in Ann Arbor, please let me know.

Sam

Im sure you could get those dried pears at Trader Joe's. I freaking loved that tart. Yummy!! I think it was my favorite off all the desserts( the gelato rocked too)

I just wanted to ask

When is the next one?!?!

I'm crazy enough to be willing to host it again next year, assuming anyone wants to come back and do it again. Is your trip from Japan a yearly occurence? We could attempt scheduling congruity...

I am hoping to be able to make it next summer as well, we were here a little early this year. Next year it might be a little later in July as the summer vacation for my kids doesn't actually start until July 20. A date a little later in July would be perfect! :biggrin:

torakris, what did your Japanese friend and son think of the gathering?  Some would think it is strange to drive a long distance to get together with people you've never met face-to-face just to eat and cook.  Everything looks wonderful.

It was my friend from Japan and my nephew and they both had a great time. They especially loved the tours and the farmer's market and my nephew was very excited that he was able to help.

Honestly I don't think either of them gave a thought to meeting a group of people from the interenet, they were too busy having fun!