• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

Hi gang,

I am afraid that I have to change my definite to a maybe.

The company that I was working for was bought out and my division was eliminated. So for the time being most everything is up in the air.

On another note, If anyone is aware of any unpublished chef's positions available in Southern Michigan or the Toledo, Ohio area I would love the tips.

Thanks,

Tobin

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

My 11 year old nephew Jake will be coming with me as well and he is very excited. I talked to my sister this morning and he was at the library last night reading up on exotic fruits as he wants to be able to impress everybody with his knowledge. I am not sure how many exotic fruits we will run across but feel free to ask him questions anyway. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This is our Saturday crew as of today. Please post any corrections, additions, subtractions.

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam

Maria & husband & friend and maybe friend's girlfriend

CaliPoutine & Robin and friends

TJHarris & spouse (maybe)

Devilkitty (and Mrs. Devilkitty?)

maggiethecat (tentative)

daniellewilley & Michael

Bacchusrogue & spouse

Jean Blanchard & husband

Sam Iam & Joyce

Fat Guy

torakris and friend and nephew

ronnie_suburban, probably

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Updated:

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam (iffy)

Maria & husband & friend and maybe friend's girlfriend

CaliPoutine & Robin and friends

TJHarris & spouse (maybe)

Devilkitty and Mrs. Devilkitty

daniellewilley & Michael

Bacchusrogue & spouse

Jean Blanchard & husband

Sam Iam & Joyce

Fat Guy

torakris and friend and nephew

ronnie_suburban, maybe

edsel

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Room arranged. Decided to splurge and stay at Weber's.

Mrs Devilkitty will be attending at least Saturday's function, and has indicated her willingness to be a prep cook or suchlike.

She wants to know more about Friday's destination before she'll say yea or nay on that part of it.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Room arranged.  Decided to splurge and stay at Weber's.

Mrs Devilkitty will be attending at least Saturday's function, and has indicated her willingness to be a prep cook or suchlike.

She wants to know more about Friday's destination before she'll say yea or nay on that part of it.

As I said upthread, Jefferson Market is my favorite place to eat in all of Ann Arbor. It's an odd little place - located in the heart of a neighborhood in Ann Arbor's old west side, right across from an elementary school, it's part five and dime, part corner store, and part gourmet kitchen. Seating is very limited, which is why I'm trying to get a sense of numbers, but it looks like we should be okay.

Here are a few selections from a recent menu:

Indonesian Coconut Curry Seafood Stew with shrimp, mussels, squid and salmon, sweet potato fritters, sunflower sprouts and sauteed spinach. ($15)

House-cured roasted 1/2 chicken with fresh herbs, savory lentils with goat cheese, sauteed greens ($13)

Grilled salmon wrapped in grape leaves with tomato-pinenut-currant sauce, couscous, grilled asparagus, summer squash and red pepper ($13.50)

The menu changes every two weeks, but there are a few things that are always on it, like:

Beef brisket pot roast, pan gravy, horseradish cream sauce, glazed carrots, garlic mashed potatoes ($13)

and the best burger in town ($6)

It's casual, quirky, and the food is completely not what you'd expect from the setting. They use a lot of local organic produce and all their ingredients are top notch.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Room arranged.  Decided to splurge and stay at Weber's.

As I said upthread, Jefferson Market is my favorite place to eat in all of Ann Arbor. It's an odd little place - located in the heart of a neighborhood in Ann Arbor's old west side, right across from an elementary school, it's part five and dime, part corner store, and part gourmet kitchen. Seating is very limited, which is why I'm trying to get a sense of numbers, but it looks like we should be okay.

Here are a few selections from a recent menu:

Indonesian Coconut Curry Seafood Stew with shrimp, mussels, squid and salmon, sweet potato fritters, sunflower sprouts and sauteed spinach. ($15)

House-cured roasted 1/2 chicken with fresh herbs, savory lentils with goat cheese, sauteed greens ($13)

Grilled salmon wrapped in grape leaves with tomato-pinenut-currant sauce, couscous, grilled asparagus, summer squash and red pepper ($13.50)

The menu changes every two weeks, but there are a few things that are always on it, like:

Beef brisket pot roast, pan gravy, horseradish cream sauce, glazed carrots, garlic mashed potatoes ($13)

and the best burger in town ($6)

It's casual, quirky, and the food is completely not what you'd expect from the setting. They use a lot of local organic produce and all their ingredients are top notch.

That sounds fabu. Im going to plead with Robin to see if she can get off earlier so we can make it. Maybe if we leave by 4:30-5pm, we can make it. I just dont know with Friday traffic.

That sounds fabu.  Im going to plead with Robin to see if she can get off earlier so we can make it.  Maybe if we leave by 4:30-5pm, we can make it.  I just dont know with Friday traffic.

We're looking at a 7:00 dinner, so if you drove 200 kph and bypassed both tollbooth and Customs, I think you could make it. :wacko:

How long does it usually take to drive to your friend's place in Chelsea?

Edited by Alex (log)

That sounds fabu.  Im going to plead with Robin to see if she can get off earlier so we can make it.  Maybe if we leave by 4:30-5pm, we can make it.  I just dont know with Friday traffic.

We're looking at a 7:00 dinner, so if you drove 200 kph and bypassed both tollbooth and Customs, I think you could make it. :wacko:

How long does it usually take to drive to your friend's place in Chelsea?

Well, I usually stop in Port Huron, get gas and my mail and then I'm on my way. I think from my house to my friends is 190miles. Robin just informed me she has a meeting and has NO idea what time that will end so it looks like we wont make dinner. Darn it!!

I am not sure how many exotic fruits we will run across but feel free to ask him questions anyway. :biggrin:

Should I even touch that with a 10 ft pole?

Did you ever hear that cliche about how California is the land of fruits and nuts?

Funny story. Picture this: my first xmas morning with my spouse's family . I had just received a big basket full of exotic fruit scented bath products from my spouses cousin. I scooped up the basket and said " Im off to take a shower so I can smell like a big exotic fruit" and my MIL said " Well, Randi, isnt that what you are"?( referring to the fact that I'm a lesbian from California). It was one of the funniest things she's ever said.

Where does the time go? We're just 10 days away from the Heartland Gathering! Anybody else want to hop on board? Any of our "tentative" yesses want to take the leap and commit?

Assuming the little guy gives me enough time to manage it, tonight I'll send out directions to the various locations and my contact information via PM.

I'm hoping to hit the Farmer's Market this Saturday for a preview of what is likely to be available next weekend. I'll report back with my findings so our course coordinators can start some advance thinking, if they'd like.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

. . . Assuming the little guy gives me enough time to manage it, tonight I'll send out directions to the various locations and my contact information via PM. . .

Tammy,

Since I'm not 100% definite but very likely to attend, I'd appreciate it if you would include me in the directions/pm loop.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

forgive me if this was discussed on previous pages...

What are we doing about lunch on Saturday?

After we're done at the Creamery we'll be heading down to the Farmer's Market area, where there are lots of lunch options - there's Kosmo Deli in the market with excellent Bi Bim Bop, Kav's Kafe with really good quiche and more, Zingerman's Deli, Mysore Woodlands vegetarian Indian, and more. Lunch will be on your own. If there's something particular someone's interested in, I'll be happy to offer suggestions.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Do we have any coffee geeks/fans in the crowd? My hubbie was talking to Alan from Zingerman's new coffee roasting company tonight, and asked if we might be able to make a stop there too. Alan's offering to do a cupping or other activity for anyone who might be interested.

Our day is already pretty busy, but if there's a group who'd be interested in this, we can coordinate a time. Please let me know.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Farmer's Market Report

There's lots of beautiful fruit - blueberries, raspberries, cherries. As for vegetables, a TON of zuchini and various kinds of summer squash. Also green beans, beets, new and red potatoes, some greens, and the beginnings of tomatoes and peppers - hopefully by next week the quality and quantity of those will have improved.

It's not too late to sign up for a course - here's the current rundown.

Hors D'ouevres - CaliPoutine (goat cheese and fig jam crostini)

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

Fish (or Flesh) - Devilkitty

Meat (or Poultry) - tammylc

Vegetable side dish - Edsel

Dessert - CaliPoutine (outrageous brownies), Sam Iam (musician's tart)

I have friends who I think are coming and are planning to do a course - I need to confirm with them. Anyone else want to volunteer? We could use a pasta course. I expect we'll pick up some cheese and charcuterie and fruit to nosh on either before or after dinner, and that various other creations will be created as we go.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Farmer's Market Report

There's lots of beautiful fruit - blueberries, raspberries, cherries.  As for vegetables, a TON of zuchini and various kinds of summer squash.  Also green beans, beets, new and red potatoes, some greens, and the beginnings of tomatoes and peppers - hopefully by next week the quality and quantity of those will have improved.

It's not too late to sign up for a course - here's the current rundown.

Hors D'ouevres - CaliPoutine (goat cheese and fig jam crostini)

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

Fish (or Flesh) - Devilkitty

Meat (or Poultry) - tammylc

Vegetable side dish - Edsel

Dessert - CaliPoutine (outrageous brownies), Sam Iam (musician's tart)

I have friends who I think are coming and are planning to do a course - I need to confirm with them.  Anyone else want to volunteer?  We could use a pasta course.  I expect we'll pick up some cheese and charcuterie and fruit to nosh on either before or after dinner, and that various other creations will be created as we go.

I can do whatever -- pasta certainly would be fine. I'm also planning to make Braised Shiitakes, if at all possible ahead of time. Something with roasted beets would be good, too. Let's see what the market has to offer.

Thanks, Tammy.  I will let my friend know.

Before I forget.  The wines I have in the basement leftover from our wedding are:

Alexander Valley Vineyards Chardonnay 2003

Alexander Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

Should I bring a few bottles?  If so, how many of each? 

http://www.smallwinemakers.ca/AlexanderValley.html

http://winebork.com/rev.php/AlexanderValley02Cab

P.s.  I won't be offended if everyone wants to pick out a different wine.  I'm not a wine drinker.

Yes, please contribute as many as you're comfortable bringing. I'll probably bring a couple from home, and I'm sure that others will do likewise or pick up a bottle in Ann Arbor.

Do we have any coffee geeks/fans in the crowd?  My hubbie was talking to Alan from Zingerman's new coffee roasting company tonight, and asked if we might be able to make a stop there too.  Alan's offering to do a cupping or other activity for anyone who might be interested.

Our day is already pretty busy, but if there's a group who'd be interested in this, we can coordinate a time.  Please let me know.

It does sound like a tight fit into our schedule, but 9 a.m. might be a good time. I'd love to do it, but I'll be picking up Fat Guy at the airport then.