• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

If I offended you or anybody else, I apologize. I hope it was clear that I was kidding around, but if it wasn't then that's my fault. And if the planning is all taken care of, that's great -- I can relax with the best of them, though letting go of my cynicism is simply impossible. Without a hint of cynicism, however, I can say I'm very much looking forward to the event and to meeting all of you!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If I offended you or anybody else, I apologize. I hope it was clear that I was kidding around, but if it wasn't then that's my fault. And if the planning is all taken care of, that's great -- I can relax with the best of them, though letting go of my cynicism is simply impossible. Without a hint of cynicism, however, I can say I'm very much looking forward to the event and to meeting all of you!

Thanks, Steven. Looking forward to meeting you, too.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm still not sure of the exact details but I'd say that I'm about 75% likely to attend. I'll continue to update as I can. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

When I signed up on 5/16, I offered to bring a Musician's Tart or two for dessert, & that offer still stands.

Fat Guy, we can return you to the DTW area afterwards. :wub: As late as need be.

Sam & Joyce

PS: We will definitely be there. :biggrin::biggrin:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

When I signed up on 5/16, I offered to bring a Musician's Tart or two for dessert, & that offer still stands.

Fat Guy, we can return you to the DTW area afterwards.  :wub:  As late as need be.

Sam & Joyce

PS: We will definitely be there. :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Great! So CaliPoutine - you don't need to worry about a non-chocolate dessert.

In terms of courses, I can organize something meat-y, but since I'll be busy with hosting duties, I'll need a good team of sous chefs. Any volunteers?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Fat Guy, we can return you to the DTW area afterwards.  :wub:  As late as need be.

Sam & Joyce

PS: We will definitely be there. :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Great! So CaliPoutine - you don't need to worry about a non-chocolate dessert.

In terms of courses, I can organize something meat-y, but since I'll be busy with hosting duties, I'll need a good team of sous chefs. Any volunteers?

Im curious, are we set on doing fish and a meat option? I ask because while Robin and I eat fish, we dont eat red meat.

I'm availble to help with any additional courses. Robin said she'd help too, but she'll need a bit more direction. LOL.

In terms of courses, I can organize something meat-y, but since I'll be busy with hosting duties, I'll need a good team of sous chefs.  Any volunteers?

Im curious, are we set on doing fish and a meat option? I ask because while Robin and I eat fish, we dont eat red meat.

I'm availble to help with any additional courses. Robin said she'd help too, but she'll need a bit more direction. LOL.

We're not set on anything. It's all what people are interested in cooking and what looks fresh and good that day at the market. I'm sure there will be more than enough food, even if people opt not to eat a course or two because of preferences or allergies.

I was using the term meat in a fairly non-specific way. It might be beef, or pork, or duck, or chicken, or buffalo or who knows what else. I just thought we needed a couple more "entree" kind of courses, so I'm volunteering to coordinate one of those.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I will happily take on sous chef duties and dishwashing and my friend can help as well. Her English is quite limited and she has offered her services in case anyone wants to brush up on their Japanese... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I will happily take on sous chef duties and dishwashing and my friend can help as well. Her English is quite limited and she has offered her services in case anyone wants to brush up on their Japanese... :biggrin:

I wonder if its too late for me to start your "daily speak about food in Japanese" lesson. LOL

I wonder if its too late for me to start your "daily speak about food in Japanese" lesson. LOL

it's never too late :biggrin:

Daily Nihongo

the quiz will be held after dinner....

Domo. Nihongo ga hisashiburi desu. (Mixed metaphor?)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Domo. Nihongo ga hisashiburi desu. (Mixed metaphor?)

very good! I will give you an A :biggrin:

you could have gotten an A+ if you had written it in Japanese characters....

Still no one coming from Cleveland??

Still no one coming from Cleveland??

I can make it up for the Saturday events. I'll be driving up from Oberlin - does that count as "Cleveland"?

Looking over the previous posts, I'm not sure what to bring. Looks like desserts are covered, and bringing bread would be silly considering we're visiting a bakery that morning. Maybe something appetizer-ish? Is there a grill we can use?

I haven't seen mention of much in the way of vegetable / side dishes, but we can probably just survey the available stuff at the shopping venues and wing it.

What we have so far:

Hors D'ouevres - CaliPoutine (fig and goat cheese crostini)

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

Pasta or dessert - CaliPoutine

Flesh or Fish - Devilkitty, if we don't get enough other volunteers (or maybe even if we do)

Any other volunteers?  We can have more than one of each kind of course, of course.

Edit to add: Kristin, I'd offer a ride to you and your friend, but my car is a two-seater. :smile:

Edited by edsel (log)

I can make it up for the Saturday events. I'll be driving up from Oberlin - does that count as "Cleveland"?

Looking over the previous posts, I'm not sure what to bring. Looks like desserts are covered, and bringing bread would be silly considering we're visiting a bakery that morning. Maybe something appetizer-ish? Is there a grill we can use?

I haven't seen mention of much in the way of vegetable / side dishes, but we can probably just survey the available stuff at the shopping venues and wing it.

There's really no need to *bring* anything. The idea is to just wing it, as you say - that's why we're charging a shopping fee.

Yes, we'll have at least one grill available.

Do you want to be in charge of coming up with a vegetable/side dish based on market findings?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Edit to add: Kristin, I'd offer a ride to you and your friend, but my car is a two-seater. :smile:

my friend is small, she'll fit in the trunk :biggrin:

I am glad you are coming!

A friend would love to come, but she says her husband is kind of picky (won't eat red meat, food has to be prepared a certain way, blah, blah, blah). So, she was wondering if they could come to the going out to eat part only. If so, has a restaurant and a time been chosen (sorry if it's already been stated, I seem to have problems missing data when I read lately)?

Oh, and was a group going to get together to eat out on Friday night (the 15th) yet? And if so, when and where?

Edited by Maria (log)

A friend would love to come, but she says her husband is kind of picky (won't eat red meat, food has to be prepared a certain way, blah, blah, blah).  So, she was wondering if they could come to the going out to eat part only.  If so, has a restaurant and a time been chosen (sorry if it's already been stated, I seem to have problems missing data when I read lately)?

Oh, and was a group going to get together to eat out on Friday night (the 15th) yet?  And if so, when and where?

There isn't any kind of organized going out to eat on Saturday - lunch will be whatever people want to grab at the Farmer's Market.

There will be a dinner outing on Friday. I'd like to take people to Ann Arbor's hidden treasure and my favorite "restaurant," Jefferson Market. But it's very small, and if we end up with more than 10 or 12 people, that won't work.

People I know of attending Friday:

Tammy (& maybe Eric and Liam)

Alex

CaliPoutine and Robin

Jean Blanchard and husband (maybe, depending on travel time from Chicago)

Devilkitty

Am I missing anyone? Looks like we've still got room for a few more (and we can just go somewhere else if we get a lot more). I had suggested 7 pm in an earlier post, and that timing would work best for me in terms of allowing Eric and Liam to come with and Liam to still get into bed at a reasonable time. Since Eric will be stuck baby watching most of the day on Saturday, I'd like to make sure he gets to participate in some of the fun!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Thanks, Tammy. I will let my friend know.

Before I forget. The wines I have in the basement leftover from our wedding are:

Alexander Valley Vineyards Chardonnay 2003

Alexander Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

Should I bring a few bottles? If so, how many of each?

http://www.smallwinemakers.ca/AlexanderValley.html

http://winebork.com/rev.php/AlexanderValley02Cab

P.s. I won't be offended if everyone wants to pick out a different wine. I'm not a wine drinker.

Edited by Maria (log)

A friend would love to come, but she says her husband is kind of picky (won't eat red meat, food has to be prepared a certain way, blah, blah, blah).  So, she was wondering if they could come to the going out to eat part only.  If so, has a restaurant and a time been chosen (sorry if it's already been stated, I seem to have problems missing data when I read lately)?

Oh, and was a group going to get together to eat out on Friday night (the 15th) yet?  And if so, when and where?

There isn't any kind of organized going out to eat on Saturday - lunch will be whatever people want to grab at the Farmer's Market.

There will be a dinner outing on Friday. I'd like to take people to Ann Arbor's hidden treasure and my favorite "restaurant," Jefferson Market. But it's very small, and if we end up with more than 10 or 12 people, that won't work.

People I know of attending Friday:

Tammy (& maybe Eric and Liam)

Alex

CaliPoutine and Robin

Jean Blanchard and husband (maybe, depending on travel time from Chicago)

Devilkitty

Am I missing anyone? Looks like we've still got room for a few more (and we can just go somewhere else if we get a lot more). I had suggested 7 pm in an earlier post, and that timing would work best for me in terms of allowing Eric and Liam to come with and Liam to still get into bed at a reasonable time. Since Eric will be stuck baby watching most of the day on Saturday, I'd like to make sure he gets to participate in some of the fun!

Hi,

I just found out from Robin that she has to work on Friday. So, I dont think we can make it in time for dinner. However, the friends(a couple) we;re staying with in Chelsea would like to join us on Saturday for dinner. Is that ok?

I just found out from Robin that she has to work on Friday.  So, I dont think we can make it in time for dinner.  However, the friends(a couple) we;re staying with in Chelsea would like to join us on Saturday for dinner.  Is that ok?

Sorry you won't be able to make Friday - we'll miss you!

Friends Saturday just for dinner would be great. I think I suggested we aim for 7 or 7:30 for dinner, so if they come by 6:30 then there should be drinks and snacks and kibbitzing.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40