• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

Organizational post, part the second.

Our agenda for the day:

10 am - Tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse and Zingerman's Creamery

~12 noon - Head down to the Kerrytown area for lunch and shopping at the farmer's market, butcher, fish shop, Zingerman's deli, etc. 

When we're done shopping we'll head back to Great Oak and let the cooking begin, aiming for dinner to be served around 7 or 7:30.

I will send out PMs to everyone who is coming with directions to my house.  Those wishing to carpool/caravan to the Zingerman's tours should meet at Great Oak by 9:30 am.  Otherwise, you can just meet us there - I'll post directions in a subsequent organizational post.  Similarly, if you want to/need to skip the tour, you can just meet us in Kerrytown.  I'll PM my cell phone number to everyone to facilitate hooking up.  If you need/want to come even later than that, you can just show up at Great Oak while we're cooking, or even just show up for dinner and socializing after, although you'll really be missing a lot of the fun that way.

In terms of the shopping and cooking, as I described in a much earlier post to this thread, I'd like to suggest that individuals or teams of people volunteer to cook a particular course.  We have lots of plates, so these could be served plated if you want to get all fancy, or just passed family style. 

If you'd like to be in charge of a course, please speak up.  Ideally we'll want to base what we cook on what's fresh and available from our marketing that day, so I'm looking for committments on the level of "I'd like to do a pasta course" or "I'd like to do something with fish" etc.  If you don't want to be in charge, I'm sure there will be lots of sous chefs needed!

Id like to be in charge of a course!~ I'd be open to either dessert, a salad course or a pasta. Whatever you prefer.

I'm also bringing the fig jam I made. We can serve that on crostini with some local goat cheese.

If you'd like to be in charge of a course, please speak up.  Ideally we'll want to base what we cook on what's fresh and available from our marketing that day, so I'm looking for committments on the level of "I'd like to do a pasta course" or "I'd like to do something with fish" etc.  If you don't want to be in charge, I'm sure there will be lots of sous chefs needed!

Okay, gang, here goes:

-- I'd be happy to do a small soup starter. (I need a handle on how many are expected, as I'll need to prepare one component in advance! Other than that, the only fussy bit is the garniture, and what that will be is dependent upon the outcome of the trip to market.)

-- If you don't get a lot of takers, I'd be willing to take on another course as well, as the soup I've got in mind is not particularly labor-intensive once the component referred to above is ready. I can be flexible, though in general I'm better with flesh and fish.

-- I'll also bring my EdgePro, etc. along in case anyone has problem knives (I can also do ceramic blades). Used to make money sharpening to support my foie gras habit...

Now I just have to get around to making a hotel reservation.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Okay, gang, here goes:

-- I'd be happy to do a small soup starter.  (I need a handle on how many are expected, as I'll need to prepare one component in advance!  Other than that, the only fussy bit is the garniture, and what that will be is dependent upon the outcome of the trip to market.)

-- If you don't get a lot of takers, I'd be willing to take on another course as well, as the soup I've got in mind is not particularly labor-intensive once the component referred to above is ready.  I can be flexible, though in general I'm better with flesh and fish.

-- I'll also bring my EdgePro, etc. along in case anyone has problem knives (I can also do ceramic blades).  Used to make money sharpening to support my foie gras habit...

That all sounds great to me! We have the perfect small bowls for a little soup.

Alex has been the keeper of the RSVPs. I've still got some locals/ non-eGulleteers to invite, but we should have some since of firmer numbers once we get closer.

So far we've got Jean and Devilkitty needing hotel reservations. Is anyone else planning to stay at a hotel Friday and or Saturday night? I can try to negotiate a discount and reserved block at one of the hotels I listed above, if there's enough interest. PM me as soon as possible if this applies to you.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Okay, gang, here goes:

-- I'd be happy to do a small soup starter.  (I need a handle on how many are expected, as I'll need to prepare one component in advance!  Other than that, the only fussy bit is the garniture, and what that will be is dependent upon the outcome of the trip to market.)

-- If you don't get a lot of takers, I'd be willing to take on another course as well, as the soup I've got in mind is not particularly labor-intensive once the component referred to above is ready.  I can be flexible, though in general I'm better with flesh and fish.

-- I'll also bring my EdgePro, etc. along in case anyone has problem knives (I can also do ceramic blades).  Used to make money sharpening to support my foie gras habit...

That all sounds great to me! We have the perfect small bowls for a little soup.

Alex has been the keeper of the RSVPs. I've still got some locals/ non-eGulleteers to invite, but we should have some since of firmer numbers once we get closer.

So far we've got Jean and Devilkitty needing hotel reservations. Is anyone else planning to stay at a hotel Friday and or Saturday night? I can try to negotiate a discount and reserved block at one of the hotels I listed above, if there's enough interest. PM me as soon as possible if this applies to you.

Thanks!

You also may want to look at expedia.com -- when I looked yesterday there were numerous options from $50 on up. Hotwire, unfortunately, had only two options, at $51 and $72. CaliPoutine told me she's had good luck bidding on Priceline.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well my friend and I are definitely coming, so count me in!

I might also bring my 11 year old nephew and chef wannabe. :biggrin:

I can do something with a salad course.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm happy to help with any cooking, but I'm going to hold off on being in charge due to my large belly and need to sit frequently. :biggrin:

One thing - I know we have one shellfish allergy - I'm allergic to regular fish, and quite allergic at that. I'm usually pretty good at eating all of the side dishes, etc., if that's what's on the menu, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

And yay that Kris is coming!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

One thing - I know we have one shellfish allergy -

That would be me; and I hope no one will be offended by some of my other bizarre aversions/eating habits (bizarre to other folks, at least - for example, while I don't mind the taste, I loathe the texture of onion, and I can't stand poultry skin).

I'm allergic to regular fish, and quite allergic at that. I'm usually pretty good at eating all of the side dishes, etc., if that's what's on the menu, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

I don't suspect that there will be only one main course...

If it comes to it, I'll throw a steak on just for you. :wink:

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

If it comes to it, I'll throw a steak on just for you.  :wink:

What he said. I don't expect we'll have any shortage of food. The reason I mentioned fish up above is because the market we'll be visiting has an excellent fishmonger. But they also have an excellent meat market. Embrace the power of "and."

What we have so far:

Hors D'ouevres - CaliPoutine (fig and goat cheese crostini)

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

Pasta or dessert - CaliPoutine

Flesh or Fish - Devilkitty, if we don't get enough other volunteers (or maybe even if we do)

Any other volunteers? We can have more than one of each kind of course, of course.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

This sounds like such a great time, I'm going to fly out for it. The first AA flight of the day from LGA gets into DTW at 9:09am. That's cutting it a little close for the bake shop, but if there's anyone who would be willing to pick me up the flight has a 90% on time rate, I won't be checking any bags and if we get lucky we might even squeak in to Z's by 10am or shortly thereafter. I could also use a ride back to the airport after dinner -- it doesn't matter how late; I'm going to check in to the airport Doubletree and take the first flight out Sunday morning. I'm happy to help on any cooking team. I'm also happy to sit on my fat ass, do nothing and be served. See you all there. Kris, save me a dance.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This sounds like such a great time, I'm going to fly out for it. The first AA flight of the day from LGA gets into DTW at 9:09am. That's cutting it a little close for the bake shop, but if there's anyone who would be willing to pick me up the flight has a 90% on time rate, I won't be checking any bags and if we get lucky we might even squeak in to Z's by 10am or shortly thereafter. I could also use a ride back to the airport after dinner -- it doesn't matter how late; I'm going to check in to the airport Doubletree and take the first flight out Sunday morning. I'm happy to help on any cooking team. I'm also happy to sit on my fat ass, do nothing and be served. See you all there. Kris, save me a dance.

I can handle that. It's only 20-25 min. to Z's, and I drive like I still live in NYC. :wacko:

I'll bring my breathalyzer to help determine who drives you back to the airport.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What he said. I don't expect we'll have any shortage of food. The reason I mentioned fish up above is because the market we'll be visiting has an excellent fishmonger. But they also have an excellent meat market. Embrace the power of "and."

What we have so far:

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

Flesh or Fish - Devilkitty, if we don't get enough other volunteers (or maybe even if we do)

Any other volunteers? We can have more than one of each kind of course, of course.

I'll gladly make dessert. I have a suggestion and Id like some feedback.

I've wanted to make Ina Garten's( barefoot contessa's) outrageous brownies for quite awhile. The recipe makes a lot of brownies.

We could eat these with some zing's gelato on top.

I know some people( egad's) cant eat/dont like chocolate. I can make an alternate fruit dessert too.

What we have so far:

Salad - Torakris

Soup - Devilkitty

I'll gladly make dessert. I have a suggestion and Id like some feedback.

I've wanted to make Ina Garten's( barefoot contessa's) outrageous brownies for quite awhile. The recipe makes a lot of brownies.

I know some people( egad's) cant eat/dont like chocolate. I can make an alternate fruit dessert too.

Sounds absolutely wonderful to me :wub:

Another thing I'm really good at, in addition to being served, is armchair quarterbacking. I'd be happy to second guess and otherwise offer unsolicited advice about any and all dishes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'll gladly make dessert.  I have a suggestion and Id like some feedback. 

I've wanted to make Ina Garten's( barefoot contessa's) outrageous brownies for quite awhile.  The recipe makes a lot of brownies. 

I know some people( egad's) cant eat/dont like chocolate.  I can make an alternate fruit dessert too.

That sounds utterly divine to me. Someone eles might be inspired towards making a fruit dessert, but if you want to do both, I won't complain...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

How many people are coming to this thing, and what is the kitchen facility like at the Peace On Earth Housing Commune?

I have to be in New Orleans on the morning of the 17th but I'm going to do my best to make up to AA on either Friday or Saturday. I'll let y'all know what my plans are as soon as I can.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

How many people are coming to this thing, and what is the kitchen facility like at the Peace On Earth Housing Commune?

Here's the latest and greatest:

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam

Maria & husband & friend and maybe friend's girlfriend

CaliPoutine & Robin

TJHarris & spouse & maybe other foodies

Devilkitty (and Mrs. Devilkitty?)

maggiethecat (tentative)

Lady T (tentative)

daniellewilley & Michael?

Bacchusrogue & spouse

Jean Blanchard & husband

Sam Iam & Joyce

Fat Guy

torakris and friend

ronnie_suburban, maybe

There's some kitchen info and pictures in Tammy's foodblog.

Okay so by rough count that's a minimum of 30 people and if all the extra people come it will be more like 40. So don't we need to do an inventory of the service ware in the sharing-and-caring co-kitchen in order to figure out what menu items can be supported? For example, if there are 50 soup bowls, we don't want to do two courses that require soup bowls; but if there are 400 soup bowls and no plates, we have to do 10 courses of bowl food. Or am I missing something?

As Alex said, there's some information and pictures in my foodblog. But basically, the Great Oak kitchen is a souped-up home kitchen. There's a 6 burner gas stove and two electric ovens. The dishwasher is a Hobart restaurant style sanitizer. There's a 2-compartment dishwashing sink, plus a regular 2 bowl homestyle sink. Just one regular size refrigerator. Because we're always cooking in teams, there's lots and lots of counter space.

Between what's in the common house and what I own, we've got 3 stand mixers, 2 or 3 food processors, 1 blender. There are some pretty good knives in the common house, although they'll no doubt need to be sharpened. And I have my own knives too.

There's a pantry stocked with spices, staples, etc. Anything we're going to use in quantity we should buy ourselves, but if we need bits of this or that from the pantry, that's fine, and we can just make a small donation to the meals program to cover replacement costs if necessary.

There's an abundant fresh herb garden right outside the kitchen door.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Okay so by rough count that's a minimum of 30 people and if all the extra people come it will be more like 40. So don't we need to do an inventory of the service ware in the sharing-and-caring co-kitchen in order to figure out what menu items can be supported? For example, if there are 50 soup bowls, we don't want to do two courses that require soup bowls; but if there are 400 soup bowls and no plates, we have to do 10 courses of bowl food. Or am I missing something?

Our service ware is plain white Corelle. We have roughly 80 pieces each of 10 inch plates, 8 inch plates, and dessert plates. We have the same number of cereal/soup bowls and then a smaller, shallow dessert bowl.

Then there are larger bowls and platters etc, for family style service. I expect that what's going to work for us is going to be some combination of plated and family style. If we do a lot of plating and don't have quite enough plates, the cycle on the Hobart is only about 90 seconds long, so we can do a quick mid-dinner clean. Plus it has the advantage of warming the plates...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

A couple months ago, I met Tammy and helped her shop and cook for her common meal. I brought along jars of home canned Ontario peaches and made a peach/rasberry crips for the common meal dessert.

The kitchen is large and well equipped. It was nice to have so much room to work in.

We're fine, Steven; we know how to plan. If you could, please put a lid on the Mr. Director Peace-on-Earth-cynic stuff and just relax. That's what we do here in the Heartland. It took me a long time to learn that.