• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

Alex,

For the sake of numbers,  I think you can add a +1 to my RSVP.  If the Mrs. isn't coming I have a couple other foodies wanting to come.

Tobin

Done. Heck, have 'em all come.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks for the reminder - I should note that because of life-threatening food allergies in the community, we cannot prepare or eat shellfish in the common house anyway. 

That allays my principal concern. Now that I'm (reasonably :raz: ) certain I won't wind up in hospital, are there any other restrictions I should consider in my planning?

I have no idea about # of courses or anything like that.  It will depend on how many people we have coming and what they think.  You're the only person to chime in on my mad cap scheme so far. 

Nothing mad about it, m'dear, nothing mad at all. It sounds like fun. Matter of fact, I'm even considering taking that Friday off work and staying in A2 for the whole thing.

Realistically, we're probably approaching the limit of number of people one could comfortably plate for.

Should the soup I have under consideration manifest itself at this event, 'twill probably need to be served individually - but I'll cross over the Gorge of Eternal Peril when I come to it. It'll need some advance prep, so as soon as the number of attendees is reasonably certain I can plan for that.

Eaters are certainly welcome - cooking is totally optional.

That will please Mrs Devilkitty, should she decide to attend - she's not particularly comfortable in the kitchen, especially someone else's.

I could throw my EdgePro and sharpening miscellany in the car as well, if anyone has problem knives.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

The latest update from the land of morels and asparagus:

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam

Maria & husband & friend and maybe friend's girlfriend

CaliPoutine & Robin

TJHarris & spouse & maybe other foodies

Devilkitty (and Mrs. Devilkitty?)

maggiethecat (tentative)

Lady T (tentative)

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Bacchusrogue & spouse

Jean Blanchard

Sam Iam & Joyce (tentative)

[your name here]

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This really sounds tempting since I've always wanted to visit Zingermans.  How long is the drive from Chicago area to Ann Arbor?  I'm very new to this site but I sense that I'm very old compared to the rest of you.  Will I be the only over 50 year old there and will that bother anybody?

I'm 38 but I act MUCH younger. :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

This really sounds tempting since I've always wanted to visit Zingermans.  How long is the drive from Chicago area to Ann Arbor?  I'm very new to this site but I sense that I'm very old compared to the rest of you.  Will I be the only over 50 year old there and will that bother anybody?

I'm 38 but I act MUCH younger. :laugh:

Yeah, me too. For a recent birthday, Ms. Alex threatened to have a t-shirt made for me that read something like:

Chronologically 52

Looks like ....... 42

Feels like ........ 32

Longs for ........ 22

Acts like .......... 12

I thought I'd bump this thread to the top of the Heartland forum to see if we can add to our 20-25 revelers. So...Chicagolanders? Detroiters? Windsorites?

count me in as another tentative :biggrin:

I will be flying into Cleveland on the 13th and have debated going since this thread started.....

I will be bringing a Japanese friend (who speaks very little English) with me and also need to see if my sister can babysit as I really don't want to drag 4 jet lagged kids around. I will give a more definite answer in a week or so.

How many spaces are left?

My little brother is currently in Lansing, he is the other foodie in the family and might be interested as well.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I will be flying into Cleveland on the 13th and have debated going since this thread started.....

I will be bringing a Japanese friend (who speaks very little English) with me and also need to see if my sister can babysit as I really don't want to drag 4 jet lagged kids around. I will give a more definite answer in a week or so.

My little brother is currently in Lansing, he is the other foodie in the family and might be interested as well.

Very cool! Hope you can make it!

As for spaces left, there's no limit. Well, I suppose we can only seat about 80 for dinner, so we should cut it off around there.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

That would be great if you and your friend (and your brother) could come, Kristin. No need to make a hurried decision, though, as we're nowhere near capacity.

Our tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse is scheduled for 10 am and will take about an hour, then we'll go next door to tour Zingerman's Creamery.

When we're done there we can head down to Kerrytown for lunch and supply shopping at the Farmer's Market, Sparrow Meats, Monahan's Fish (and Zingerman's Deli, of course).  Then back to my place for the cooking extravaganza.

So should should try to be to your place before 10?

Anyone else going from the Cleveland area?

I've been pondering details and will hopefully soon post the beginnings of an organizational post.

On this specific question, people can either arrive at my house by around 9:30 or so, or can just meet up with us directly at the Bakehouse.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Our tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse is scheduled for 10 am and will take about an hour, then we'll go next door to tour Zingerman's Creamery.

When we're done there we can head down to Kerrytown for lunch and supply shopping at the Farmer's Market, Sparrow Meats, Monahan's Fish (and Zingerman's Deli, of course).  Then back to my place for the cooking extravaganza.

So should should try to be to your place before 10?

Hey Kris - We're coming up from Toledo, if you'd like to meet up just over halfway for a caravan - we are basically right on your way - you'll be taking I-80 to Toledo and then grabbing 23 up to Ann Arbor.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Our

Hey Kris - We're coming up from Toledo, if you'd like to meet up just over halfway for a caravan - we are basically right on your way - you'll be taking I-80 to Toledo and then grabbing 23 up to Ann Arbor.

Actually I am looking for a ride.. :biggrin:

My parents are going to be in Iowa that weekend and if they drive they will take my mother's car, they would never drive my father's car that far, and I can't drive my dad's because it is a stick :hmmm:

Now if they decide to fly (their original plan) then I have no problem.

Just about a month left until the second Heartland Gathering! Me and my co-conspirator (Alex) are discussing some organizational details and hope to post more information about the big event in the next day or two. But for now, I'd like to get a sense of who is planning to come out on Friday.

We'll be having a dinner out somewhere in Ann Arbor, location to be determined based on how many people we have. If it's a small enough group, I'd like to suggest my favorite place, and home of the best kitchen in Ann Arbor IMNSO, Jefferson Market. If we get a crowd, well, I'm sure we can find something almost as good!

So - if you're coming on Friday, July 15, please post here to let us know. Right now I'm thinking of dinner around 7, so also let me know if that timing works well for you.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just about a month left until the second Heartland Gathering!  Me and my co-conspirator (Alex) are discussing some organizational details and hope to post more information about the big event in the next day or two.  But for now, I'd like to get a sense of who is planning to come out on Friday. 

We'll be having a dinner out somewhere in Ann Arbor, location to be determined based on how many people we have.  If it's a small enough group, I'd like to suggest my favorite place, and home of the best kitchen in Ann Arbor IMNSO, Jefferson Market.  If we get a crowd, well, I'm sure we can find something almost as good!

So - if you're coming on Friday, July 15, please post here to let us know.  Right now I'm thinking of dinner around 7, so also let me know if that timing works well for you.

We'll (husband and I) be there on Friday night but I don't know if we can make 7:00. Do you have a hotel you can recommend?

jb

We'll (husband and I) be there on Friday night but I don't know if we can make 7:00.  Do you have a hotel you can recommend?

jb

There are three hotels very near to my house.

Weber's Inn

http://www.webersinn.com/

Best Western Executive Plaza

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/pr...pertyCode=23137

Super 8

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booki...73&brandInfo=SE

They are listed in decreasing order of amenities and (presumably) cost. There are a number of other hotels in other areas of the city, but these are the best choices nearby.

What time do you expect to arrive on Friday? I just threw 7 out as an idea, I'm open to another time. With the baby, I'm usually eating by 6 these days, but I figured I'd have to tweak my schedule to accomodate the rest of you. :-)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Organizational post, part the second.

Our agenda for the day:

10 am - Tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse and Zingerman's Creamery

~12 noon - Head down to the Kerrytown area for lunch and shopping at the farmer's market, butcher, fish shop, Zingerman's deli, etc.

When we're done shopping we'll head back to Great Oak and let the cooking begin, aiming for dinner to be served around 7 or 7:30.

I will send out PMs to everyone who is coming with directions to my house. Those wishing to carpool/caravan to the Zingerman's tours should meet at Great Oak by 9:30 am. Otherwise, you can just meet us there - I'll post directions in a subsequent organizational post. Similarly, if you want to/need to skip the tour, you can just meet us in Kerrytown. I'll PM my cell phone number to everyone to facilitate hooking up. If you need/want to come even later than that, you can just show up at Great Oak while we're cooking, or even just show up for dinner and socializing after, although you'll really be missing a lot of the fun that way.

In terms of the shopping and cooking, as I described in a much earlier post to this thread, I'd like to suggest that individuals or teams of people volunteer to cook a particular course. We have lots of plates, so these could be served plated if you want to get all fancy, or just passed family style.

If you'd like to be in charge of a course, please speak up. Ideally we'll want to base what we cook on what's fresh and available from our marketing that day, so I'm looking for committments on the level of "I'd like to do a pasta course" or "I'd like to do something with fish" etc. If you don't want to be in charge, I'm sure there will be lots of sous chefs needed!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Would you like us to bring anything with?  Maybe wine?  Dessert? 

jb

Sure - bring whatever you like. The shopping and the cooking is part of the fun, but other contributions are of course welcome.

As a budding wine geek, I'm always enthusiastic about people sharing favorite bottles. There are some great wine shops in Ann Arbor that we can visit too.

Just a reminder to everyone from the original post - we're estimating a cost of $15/person to a shopping fund for the day. Everyone will be asked to pay that amount, even if you're planning to bring something in addition. Of course, if you have something extra special and/or expensive that you'd like to bring, feel free to PM me to discuss alternate arrangements.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Hey, I only live forty-five minutes or so away, but I'm currently planning on spending Friday and Saturday nights in A2 for this.

Room for one more at Friday dinner?

Definitely. I'll add you to my Friday dinner list.

Are you going to be around on Saturday during the day, or just for dinner?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40