• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

Tammy,

I'm happy to crash on the living room floor.  And don't worry about the munchkin running about in the early morn--I'm known as the unofficial babysitter of the Heartland.  :laugh:

Also, I have a hunch that my co-pilot Maggie might need accommodations as well.  Maybe we can all pitch a tent and eat pastrami under the stars!

I'm sure we'll manage to figure something out - there's certainly plenty of room for tent pitching, and in July that could be quite nice. :-) My husband and I were just discussing some options for crash space. One of the nice things about living in cohousing and knowing our neighbors is being able to borrow spare rooms in other people's houses, so that's an option still to be explored.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Please add Robin and I to the list.

We'll probably come Friday night and stay at our friends in Chelsea.

Btw, we usually bid on Priceline if we need a good, cheap room.

We just stayed at the Marriott at Detroit airport for 35$ a night.

Feel free to PM me if anyone wants tips on priceline bidding.

C'mon and join the crowd! --

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam

Maria & husband

CaliPoutine & Robin

TJHarris

Devilkitty (a definite maybe)

maggiethecat (tentative)

Lady T (tentative)

[your name here]

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

C'mon and join the crowd! --

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

BeJam

Maria & husband

CaliPoutine & Robin

TJHarris

maggiethecat (tentative)

Lady T (tentative)

[your name here]

I think I'll be able to make it - I'll check with Mr. Wiley and see if he wants to join me - and see if we can get a babysitter! My only caveat is that I'll be VERY pregnant, so I might need to take some breaks during the multiple tours - heck, I used to bake bread at Zingerman's - maybe I'll skip that one. :smile:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Oh, I just got married, so we might be able to supply some wine, beer, and such (I just need to keep some for a couple of parties we are having in the next few months). However, it might not be up to a connoisseur's standards. The wine guy here said that the wine is decent (in the top 100 wines). Having worked for a fine beer import company before, I know that the beers are just your normal local bar fare (Heineken, Guiness, Miller, Budweisier).

The date is definite.  And as Ronnie noted, non-eGullet food lovers are definitely welcome.

<snip>

Depending on how many people we have, I have this idea about organizing individuals or small groups to each take on the planning and preparation of a single course, and serve dinner a multiple course plated dinner instead of family style.  Does that sound fun to anyone else, or am I being too ambitious?

That does sound interesting, though I'm not a heavy eater and have a number of allergy issues (nothing major, as long as I don't handle or eat shellfish/crustacea).

It might be a nice change to work in a kitchen with more than twelve square feet of counter space - in four separate and cluttered pieces.

How many courses are you going to try for?  I have a soup in mind, and may even be willing to take on another course if they're paced well (alone or collaborative).

I may be able to convince Mrs Devilkitty to attend as well, though she'd prefer to be an eater rather than a cooker.

Edited by Devilkitty (log)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

This really sounds tempting since I've always wanted to visit Zingermans. How long is the drive from Chicago area to Ann Arbor? I'm very new to this site but I sense that I'm very old compared to the rest of you. Will I be the only over 50 year old there and will that bother anybody?

This really sounds tempting since I've always wanted to visit Zingermans.  How long is the drive from Chicago area to Ann Arbor?  I'm very new to this site but I sense that I'm very old compared to the rest of you.  Will I be the only over 50 year old there and will that bother anybody?

LMAO! You are more than welcome to join in for this event and your presence will not bother, but instead delight.

From what I can unofficially guess, you will NOT be the only attendee in your age group. I'm nearly 42 and at times, I feel like the baby of this forum. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hmm I'd love to come down from toronto with Mrs Bacchusrogue and we can always bring anything anyone is needing. Ive got some good old scotch can bring any wines, beers or other stuff like cheeses people might like (like the Irish cheddar with guiness)

When I get a chance, I wil go to the basement and get the names of the wines and you all can give me a thumbs up or down.

Whatever contributions people have will certainly be welcome, just so long as you take any leftovers back with you!

There are some fun and good wine stores in Ann Arbor, so I'm sure some wine will be purchased day-of as well.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

This really sounds tempting since I've always wanted to visit Zingermans.  How long is the drive from Chicago area to Ann Arbor?  I'm very new to this site but I sense that I'm very old compared to the rest of you.  Will I be the only over 50 year old there and will that bother anybody?

There almost certainly will be others coming from Chicago. Fresser has already said yes, and a couple of others are tentative.

I'm 55 :cool: , if that helps.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

There almost certainly will be others coming from Chicago. Fresser has already said yes, and a couple of others are tentative.

Alter-cocker! :raz:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Alter-cocker! :raz:

Yeah, but your time will come, heh, heh.

That does sound interesting, though I'm not a heavy eater and have a number of allergy issues (nothing major, as long as I don't handle or eat shellfish/crustacea).

Thanks for the reminder - I should note that because of life-threatening food allergies in the community, we cannot prepare or eat shellfish in the common house anyway.

It might be a nice change to work in a kitchen with more than twelve square feet of counter space - in four separate and cluttered pieces.

How many courses are you going to try for?  I have a soup in mind, and may even be willing to take on another course if they're paced well (alone or collaborative).

I may be able to convince Mrs Devilkitty to attend as well, though she'd prefer to be an eater rather than a cooker.

I have no idea about # of courses or anything like that. It will depend on how many people we have coming and what they think. You're the only person to chime in on my mad cap scheme so far. Realistically, we're probably approaching the limit of number of people one could comfortably plate for.

Eaters are certainly welcome - cooking is totally optional.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

It's about a 4 hour drive from Chicago to Ann Arbor, depending on traffic and construction, of course.

And as others have already said, age is no barrier to participation. You are very welcome, and I look forward to meeting you!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Hmm I'd love to come down from toronto with Mrs Bacchusrogue and we can always bring anything anyone is needing. Ive got some good old scotch can bring any wines, beers or other stuff like cheeses people might like (like the Irish cheddar with guiness)

Sounds delightful. As an ex-pat Canadian, I might make a special request for some particular chocolate bars to share around too!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Sounds delightful. As an ex-pat Canadian, I might make a special request for some particular chocolate bars to share around too!

Robin and I could always bring some too. If we can find some local goat cheese, we can make crostini with the fig jam I made last weekend. I'll be glad to share a couple jars.

Robin and I could always bring some too. If we can find some local goat cheese, we can make crostini with the fig jam I made last weekend. I'll be glad to share a couple jars.

Oh, yes, please.

OOOHHH - yes bring some! I was salivating at your photos - how lucky I'll be to actually taste it!! I just tried the Zingerman's goat cheese this weekend - it's very nice - we can get some that day at the Creamery, I would think.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Jean, rest assured. There are many of us in your age bracket, and many young enough to be your kids. That is one of the fascinating things about eGullet -- age disappears. We're all passioante about the same things, and you might have someone twenty years older on your left and twenty years younger on your right. And you interact as contemporaries.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Add us to the mix (Joyce & Sam). This is tenative, depending on my work schedule. And we'll make the '50 year old members feel young! :cool:

We'll be driving up from Lambertville, MI. About 45 minutes.

I'll bring a Musician's Tart. :raz:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Two months and counting!

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

BeJam

Maria & husband & friend and maybe friend's girlfriend

CaliPoutine & Robin

TJHarris & spouse & maybe other foodies

maggiethecat (tentative)

Lady T (tentative)

daniellewilley (& Michael?)

Bacchusrogue & spouse

Jean Blanchard

Sam Iam & Joyce

[your name here]

Edited by Alex (log)

Alex,

For the sake of numbers, I think you can add a +1 to my RSVP. If the Mrs. isn't coming I have a couple other foodies wanting to come.

Tobin

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.