• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molson buys Creemore - Nooooooooo!

Creemore has been a staple beverage of mine since I moved here from the UK some 10 years ago.

This news:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Story/Business/

dismayed both my friends and myself.

In fact I think I'm going to strike it from our (2 beer long) beer list.

This whole globalisation of beer malarky is upsetting me no end.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Completely agree, when I used to live in Ontario this was my favorite beer by far - what has happened to our small microbreweries that they feel forced to sell out to the big breweries. Is it that the money being offered is too good, or is it a just a sign of the times, that in todays love ins with 'walmart' and such that any hope of the small operators surviving anywhere is doomed. Truly a shame - another black mark on Ontario as it proceeds to allow big business to take over anything that moves.

Sounds like they are going to let the Creemore brand and product continue essentially as it was. Molson acknowledges it as a "super premium" domestic beer, something which they obviously lack. Smart move by Molson, smart move by Creemore. It's all just business.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I was shocked by the announcement, but as long as Molson keeps its mitts off of the beer then everything should be OK. Molson must have offered a huge amount, because it doesn't seem like Creemore was in any financial trouble.

The only thing that I'm afraid of is if Molson, while not touching the original, starts marketing other lesser quality "premium" beers under the Creemore name, and it drags the original down with it.

Edited by piperdown (log)

With respect to this happening elsewhere besides Ontario, no doubt, but with the major headquarters of the big breweries being in the Ontario area, they tend to screw it up first. BC although having a much smaller population than Ontario, has scads more quality micro-breweries than Ontario has. I find this similar to the States, where smaller states such as Vermont and Oregon have some of the best micros are brewed in the States. Not knocking Ontario, just stating the facts that things happen there for business purposes more often, then for quality purposes.

With respect to this happening elsewhere besides Ontario, no doubt, but with the major headquarters of the big breweries being in the Ontario area, they tend to screw it up first.  BC although having a much smaller population than Ontario, has scads more quality micro-breweries than Ontario has.  I find this similar to the States, where smaller states such as Vermont and Oregon have some of the best micros are brewed in the States.  Not knocking Ontario, just stating the facts that things happen there for business purposes more often, then for quality purposes.

While BC might have more microbreweries, they are almost all owned by Sleeman's now after they went on a brewery buying spree for years. While they might have retained their names they are now part of the Stroh's Brewing Company which owns Sleeman's. This is what happened in Ireland about 15 years ago when Guiness bought every microbrewery in the country and now all you can get in any pub is Guiness, Harp, Smithwick's and uuggh, Budweiser.

It is a shame to see this happen to Creemore as it was an outstanding product.

Things happen everywhere for business purposes rather than quality purposes.

I do find this constant Ontario bashing by BC residents annoying to the Nth degree.

Oh and by the way, I live in B.C. (before you start slagging me as another Eastern type who doesn't know anything about it)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

At JK Wine Bar we only ever sell two beers.

Last week they were Creemore and Coopers (The "Winemaker's Beer" from Australia).

After the Creemore/Molson announcement our beer sales went down 97%.

I just pulled the numbers today.

And I'm SERIOUS.

There is only one explanation for this drastic change.

I believe Creemore drinkers to be particularly loyal... and I truly believe that a major % of those chose to go down the wine route at our place after that announcement.

Thoughts?

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Hey Oyster Guy, not slagging Ontario (I lived there from 65-96), just stating the obvious. As to the small micro's being bought up by Sleemans, I was not aware that either Phillips Brewing, Spinnakers, Canoe or Merridale Cider were bought up by them - at least last time I checked. All great Vancouver Island producers that make a great product. In Vermont there are at least a dozen microbreweries in a state that only has the population of an area less than Hamilton, ON. Its not all being bought up by big companies, just the ones that put money before anything else. Its too bad, here on Vancouver Island we are very passionate about trying to keep our restaurants, wineries and breweries as much home grown as possible. I have two good friends in the brewing industry in Ontario and sadly they feel just like me as to what is happening in the brewing industry in their province - not slagging just stating the facts as they know them.

While slightly off-topic, I would love to applaud Nondoctor and kennedy on serving Cooper's. I'd imagine that's a risky choice but my god is that beer ever good! One of the better out-of-bottle experiences I've had.

Back to Creemore, I'm amazed that so many purists would dump Creemore from their drink orders because of an ownership change. I can't imagine why Molson would alter the beer's formula or taste profile.

Open-ended question: have they any history of doing this with other brands?

hi all, sort of new on this site, and it's nice to see a forum for my neck of the woods. thought I'd put in my two cents:

over the past few years I think that while creemore is a good tasting beer, it's leaned more towards and ale character. a quality beer, but a little fruity and sweet for a lager. this means one of two things to me, either that it's being done intentionally to suit the brewer's/owner's taste or the beer is being fermented too warm for too short a time. the creemore guys could have been getting tired and looking to sell.

I also think that with the decline in sales of rickard's red(molson is re-vamping it as "rickard's pub ale"), molson needs something to be their "faux premium" beer like labatts has keith's

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson