• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Near the Orange County Convention Center

little ms foodie

I came across the following article written for a trade magazine that was having a convention in Orlando. It is written by a writer for Orlando magazine and recommends place to eat for those here for a convention.

Please note that Orlando magazine is one of those city magazines that tends to read like advertising copy and is rarely critical, so take the recommendations with a grain of salt and cross-reference with other comments you have seen in this thread. It is also far from a complete list, but it is quite comprehensive.

The best thing about this is that it describes much of the menu and atmosphere of each of the places and alos provides contact information.

Orlando Convention Dining

• 11 months later...

I wish I had an update for you, Wendy, but I haven't been over to Orlando in months, for any first-hand knowledge. For that part of the world, my info has been limited to what I'm reading here. Will you have a laptop with you or other computer access? I'll contact you if I find out anything. If I buy the Orlando Sunday paper tomorrow and get any ideas for you, I'll let you know.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I recommend Blue Bistro and Grill, which is located on Mills Ave. between Orlando and Winter Park. A bit farther from the convention area than Sand Lake Rd, and worth the drive.

I am always surprised that this restaurant doesn't get noticed on eG! The food is always outstanding, the atmosphere is so pleasant and understated, the wine is always wonderful. It's a small woman-owned and operated place. Website is here: http://www.bluebistroandgrill.com/.

Wendy, your stay might be over by now and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you with some info from the Sunday paper. I didn't get to read the paper Sunday because of the fires, one of which you apparently experienced first hand, and another came dangerously close to our neighborhood. Did that have any effect on restaurant hours, etc., around the convention center?

Majra, thanks for the tip on Blue Bistro and Grill. Winter Park is doable for me. It's been a long time since I've been over that way. When I do travel there, hopefully I'll check it out.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hi all,

I ended up at Thai Thani on Mon. night. It was good and the service very friendly. A huge place with carved Thai statues and the like, very pretty inside. The food was good and well priced.

Tues night I made it to Cedar's. Yum!! I made a meal of basterma, laban salad and fried kebbeh. It was all very good- I had never had Lebanese food before. Again service was excellent!

Last night I went back to Antonio's. very good again and the staff is OTT nice. The most expensive of the spots but nothing crazy.

Also while talking with one of my driver's about Cedars it turned out that he is Syrian and is opening a restaurant also on Sand Lake Rd called Mediterranian Kitchen soon.