• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Near the Orange County Convention Center

little ms foodie

I'll be in Orlando next month for a trade show and my hotel is right near the Orange County Convention Center. I won't have a car but cabbing it isn't a problem. I'll be on my own and would really like to find some good food and stay away from Red Lobster or TGIFridays.

Any advice?? You might ask, what kind of food do you like?? ANYTHING! Price range?? Well I'm not looking for The French Laundry but anything from $12 to $30 for an entree is fine by me.

Suggestions are needed and appreciated! Thank you!!

Wendy, you will be in the middle of it all, on International Drive. Are you staying at the Peabody by any chance? If so, there is Dux right there. I haven't been, but if I were at the Peabody, I would surely try it.

You will be close to both Charley's Steak House and Vito's Chop House. It's awful... I can't remember which of those two it was that we ate, but both have good reputations, as steak houses go. You will be cab distance from both Disney properties and Universal, and I'm sure scrolling back for the Orlando restaurant threads will give you some good ideas on restaurants in those places. Recently, Percy posted reports on some of his dinners in those areas. Here are his posts.

I'm not sure how much you like going out alone, but if you like it as I do, you might want to consider taking a cab over to Universal City Walk (admission is free) and strolling around, tasting a bit here and there.

I'll think about this more, and let you know if I get some more ideas for you. I'm not as familiar, first hand, with the smaller, lesser-known-but-good places in the area.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks Susan,

I'm not staying at the Peabody but if I go to Dux what have you heard about it?

I'm not sure I understand something you said...."You will be close to both Charley's Steak House and Vito's Chop House. It's awful... I can't remember which of those two it was that we ate, but both have good reputations, as steak houses go. " What is awful??

I'll do some more reading too!

I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear. I meant that I felt awful for not remembering at which of those two steak houses we dined! It's been a while. I do remember it was a good dinner, though.

About Dux, I have only heard general positive comments about it, not specifics. One comment was recent. My son said a group of his old college friends that was staying there had a great meal.

Good luck, for whatever you decide.

oh that makes sense! thanks~

I guess I'll do some research on Dux so I know if it is casual, fancy and what they serve.

anyone else? I just found out I'm staying at the ole so glamourous Quality Inn at 9000 International Drive.

This is funny. I was going to post about Vito's Chop House a few days ago and was not sure I could pull it off (saying what I meant) so I aborted, and then I read Susan's line about Vito's and "awful" and thought she meant what I'm about to say...

I've been to Orlando millions of times (conventions, business, other) and dined at Charley's Steakhouse (the one on I Drive and the one on Orange Blossom Trail) dozens of times, and Vito's dozens of times. I've even sent people there, but with a warning. The service, and the attitude of the employees is so hideous, so horrible, that you may be sorry you went. But the steaks are just sensational - the meat is great, and the way they grill them high above a very very hot fire of hardwoods, is outstanding. In particular, Vito's has a gigantic ribeye steak, on the bone, which is a must, especially if you get them to "Pittsburgh" it - that is to say, charred on the outside, and then rare inside (well, that's how I like all my steaks). You'll see this steak on display when you enter, and in fact, all the steaks are great - but beware - if you order a steak be sure that they don't put the "Italian Seasonings on it" - I believe that all the steaks but the ribeye come with it unless you request otherwise. (I guess that's why it's called Vito's Italian Chophouse.)

But the service is horrible, and one (but just one) of the problems is that the waiters are clearly instructed to try to build up your check as big as possible, to the point that they have developed a clever way of mumbling when trying to talk you into the many things that are additions to your meal - like anything that tops your potato, or the fact that a strange "house salad" comes with the steak, but the waiter will mumblingly offer "or, we can upgrade you to a Cesar salad if you want" without telling you it's a large extra. Well, this is just annoying when the check is literally double what you thought it was going to be - and I've seen people order the daily special of lobster tail and steak and then just shreik when they found out it was almost a hundred dollars, on their check.

With such great steaks, you'd think they'd have a better attidude, but it's just awful. And on top of that the servers are just pretty miserable in general. But the steaks are great!

The meal starts with the waiter bringing a gigantic tray of steaks wrapped in plastic. The last time I went, I sort of stopped the waiter in his tracks, and told him "we've eaten here many times before, and if you spare us the Vito's 'experience' all around, I'll make it worth your while", and he said, "it's a deal", and he changed his whole personality, didn't try to talk us into the dozen supplemental things, and we had a great meal. (We even had to send back one steak - it had a terrible gristle, which is unusual for them, and the waiter replaced it promptly with a magnificent specimen.

I looked it up once on a local board, and I read many comments like "the servers were so rude, we left in tears". This is not to say that you shouldn't go for a great ribeye steak - you should indeed - just that you should be forewarned and not say you weren't prepared for the attitude.

The Charley's Steakhouse all the same steaks with the exception of the ribeye, and it has the same service attitude.

But they're just great steaks, and definitely worth going for.

Otherwise, I just don't find the food in Orlando all that good.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Otherwise, I just don't find the food in Orlando all that good.

I love comments like that. Metro area of 1.2 million, hundreds of restaurants, and a throwaway sentence to denigrate the whole city's options. Sigh. :blink:

Anyway, I-Drive does suffer a bit. I would do Charley's over Vito's, though Mark does have a point on the service. Happens in most tourist and convention areas - they don't usually have to deal with return business and especially in the convention area there are many drunk obnoxious groups, so the service lags.

As for Dux, I ate there several years ago and enjoyed the meal. However, they change chef's alot and quality varies widely with the chef. I have not eaten nor talked to anyone who has under the current regime. It is a VERY high-end restaurant, though. Of course in Orlando, despite the prices and atmosphere, you'll still see people in leisure-wear.

If you take a cab or the trolley a little bit down I-Drive you'll find a Texas de Brazil, our newest churrascaria. It is a good version of the style, and we have had great service there. Your best bet otherwise to to head for the Sand Lake Road Restaurant Row area (a short cab ride) and dine at Cedar's, Chatham's Place, Annele & Hugo, Memories of India, Antonio's, Amura, Season's 52, Moonfish or Bonefish. Or consider a slightly longer cab ride to the Grande Lakes resort for Primo at the JW Marriott or Norman's at the Ritz. Finally, downtown has a couple nice options in Boheme or Kres Chophouse. Emeril's has two restaurants at the Universal property that have decent food but many tourists. Your hotel probobly has a free shuttle to Universal.

Edited by Bill_H (log)

Thanks, Bill. In thinking of cab's distance for Wendy, I forgot about Antonio's. Based on the dinner I had there, I would highly recommend it. I was by myself when I was there, too, and wow... the very handsome waiters took excellent care of me. :smile: It was a wonderful place to dine alone, by the window with a view of the lake down below.

I went to Antonio's in Maitland. Here's the website. There is a menu online. Are all three locations basically the same?

Wendy, if you have time to spend at the airport around dinner time, the restaurant at the hotel (the hotel which is located inside the airport), Hemisphere, is actually very good. If you are there for lunch, the other restaurant and bar in the same hotel is a good lunch or snack place. From Hemisphere, you can watch the planes flying in and out.

The menu and atmosphere INSIDE the Antonio's on Sand Lake Road is IMO nicer than the la Fiamma location you visited Susan. However, there is no view. last time we were there, though, we had dinner at a table next to Mark Wahlberg and his baby and baby's mother.

The service there is usually top notch.

Funny -- this thread got my attention b/c I'm also going to be in Orlando the beginning of next month on business. I'm staying at the Dolphin, one of Disney's resorts.

If I get in a cab and tell them I want to go to the "Sand Lake Road Restaurant Road" will they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for the help.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Funny -- this thread got my attention b/c I'm also going to be in Orlando the beginning of next month on business. I'm staying at the Dolphin, one of Disney's resorts.

If I get in a cab and tell them I want to go to the "Sand Lake Road Restaurant Road" will they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for the help.

Probably. If not, just tell them to take the Sand Lake Road exit off I-4 and make a left. It's then about 1/2 mile up on both sides of the road. You really can't miss it.

On a side note - it may be a little expensive to take a cab from all the way out at Disney to Sand Lake. I'd get a quote first. Orlando is very spread out (similar to LA or Atlanta)

If you're on Disney property, make sure you try Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Also, California Grill and Victoria & Alberts are great but very pricey. In the Dolphin itself, Todd English's bluezoo is ok and Shula's serves a decent high-end steak. DO NOT eat at the Italian place in the neighboring Swan though. You'll be sorry!

Edited by Bill_H (log)

This awesome info guys! Exactly what I was looking for!!

Do you think Texas de Brazil is ok to go by myself? It sounds fun!

I usually eat alone on business trips, so I'm not uncomfortable doing that, but Texas de Brazil is really a communal experience. I recommend making some friends at the convention and convincing them to go with you :smile:

Since you may be dining alone, from my recommendations I would further encourage Bonefish, Amura and Season's 52 as a full menu is served in the bar area and it's a little nicer way to eat alone. But other than Texas de, the only other place I might skip is Chatham's as it is a little romantic and might mnake you feel lonely. But then again, you'd miss out on the Florida black grouper in pecan butter, my nominee is the "Best dish in the Southeast" thread in the Southeast forum. And the folks that work there are SO nice.

I also wanted to add something if you like Japanese food. Hidden in a strip mall (same one as Charley's) is a tiny restaurant names Hanamizuki that serves very authentic Japanese food. Sushi is not a real staple, but if you want to try some different stuff, this is the place. Let's just say most of the clientle are FROM Japan and not much English is heard throughout the place, but they are friendly and very helpful in negotiating some of the unfamiliar items. It's one of my newest discoveries, if you like different things check it out.

Here's a brief description Hanamizuki

Edited by Bill_H (log)

Thanks for the help.

Probably. If not, just tell them to take the Sand Lake Road exit off I-4 and make a left. It's then about 1/2 mile up on both sides of the road. You really can't miss it.

On a side note - it may be a little expensive to take a cab from all the way out at Disney to Sand Lake. I'd get a quote first. Orlando is very spread out (similar to LA or Atlanta)

If you're on Disney property, make sure you try Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Also, California Grill and Victoria & Alberts are great but very pricey. In the Dolphin itself, Todd English's bluezoo is ok and Shula's serves a decent high-end steak. DO NOT eat at the Italian place in the neighboring Swan though. You'll be sorry!

Perfect. Thanks Bill.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 2 weeks later...
No not Bice, I thought I heard something about the casual place Mama Dells??

Mama Della's I think it is. Just average Italian food served in a faux Italian family atmosphere. To be honest, I think Buca di Beppo does it better, but that's not meant as a big compliment. There are much better options for you, even on Universal property, although on the whole I find dining there disappointing. The real shame is that they closed Delfino Riviera at the Portofino to open Bice because of the "brand" name - one of the perils of tourist locations I guess.

Anyway, I think you'd be happier at Emeril's or Tchoup Chop than at Mama Della's. If you want real family Italian in the area, check out Cairera's Cucina Italiana on Dr. Phillips Blvd or for a more upscale option Antonio's in the Sand Lake Restaurant Row area, both short cab rides from Portofino.

We ate at Thai Thani on I drive (near sea world in a strip mall) this january. excellent thai food.

also, the informal place at the ritz (can't remember the name) was very good. you can sit in the bar at the ritz (live piano while we were there) and if you ask they will give you the full menu from the restaurant and you can both eat and people watch while listening to music.

one advantage to going south of the convention center is that the traffic is less congested.

Does anyone have the address for Cedar's? Are they open on Sunday?

Here's the details:

7732 West Sand Lake Road, Orlando, Florida 32819

407 351 6000

Here's a link from the NY Times

Now, the REAL directions: Take International Drive south to Sand Lake Road, make a left and go under I-4.

After a couple lights, you will be right in the middle of Restaurant Row. Cedar's is on the left, basically in-between Season's 52 and Roy's.

2 things to keep in mind:

1) Service can be slow. They are very nice and helpful with unknown ingredients, but they are always understaffed. More importantly, especially on a Sunday, the Lebanese use the meal as a social occasion, so it is culturally normal to slowly pace the meal.

2) I would recommend dining "mezza" style. While the entrees are good, the traditional Lebanese way is to order a ton of hot and cold appetizers (mezza) and stuff yourself silly. For a different taste, make sure to try the sujuk and the mouhamara. The pita bread is heavenly. And for a treat save some room for their deserts - usually VERY sweet cheese-based items that are perfectly offset by mint tea or super-strong Arabic coffee.

Enjoy (I hope).

Wish we were avaialable to join you - my wife is half-Lebanese and was born in Beirut. She's invaluable in picking things you might not normally try.

Edited by Bill_H (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back last night and quickly want to thank you all for you help! Considering I only saw ads for Bahama Breeze and Taco Bell it was great to have your suggestions.

I set out for Cedar's the first night but wasn't thinking (was still on west coast time) and showed up at 9pm- they close at 9! They were very nice but couldn't help me, showed me around the corner to Seasons 52. Nice wine selection I had a few glasses of Cakebread Chardonnay which I love and then just had the grilled romaine with parmesean and seared ahi appetizers for dinner. Both good, nothing over the top fantastic but a fine meal and relaxed atmosphere, except for the piano man behind the bar! haha!

The next night I had dinner at Emeril's Tchoup Chop. The server I had was very stiff and everything was very rehearsed. Others that stopped by my table were better and more engaging. The interior is very nice. I started with a specialy rum drink the Kia Ora (in honor of that is where my honeymoon was!) It was tastey but not enough rum to really give it a nice kick. Next up were seared scallops on double fried plantain rounds in a lime cilantro butter sauce. Very nice. Then I had the Kaluah pork with soft and crispy noodles. It was good but nothing over the top. Had a glass of cab with dinner- they are lacking in good choices of wines by the glass. Also one thing I noticed here were instead of asking how things were everyone asked " how are the flavors?"

My last night I went to Antonio's- it's in the same plaza as Cedars. Very nice Italian, I had the ceasar which was good and then the pasta special which was heaven! Little ricotta dumplings with osso bucco and a touch of cream. YUM! Had a few glasses of chianti with my meal, very reasonably priced I thought and the waiters were quite nice. I even took the leftovers and heated them up for lunch the next day.

Looks like I'll be back again so Cedars is at the top of my list to try next time! thanks again everyone!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Sorry you missed out on Cedar's. It is open later on other rnights, but they do close earlier on Sunday's because most Arab's eat their Sunday meals in the late afternoon. Maybe we can join you there when you return.

I think you hit the nail on the head with Tchoup Chop and Season's - good but not great. They are not my first choices in town but I don't mind eating there if someone else wants to.

I'm glad you liked Antonio's. It can be a little hard to find but I've never had a bad meal. Something you discovered on your trip was the general "nice-ness" of most folks here in Central Florida. Whether it's in a grocery store or the mall or anywhere out and about, I have always been pleasantly suprised at how friendly people are.

Of course, I lived in NY before moving here, so perhaps my comparisons are skewed :)