• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secrets of the pros

akwa

With thanks to Wendy DeBord

I am going to try to compile tips for pastry chefs

I would like to distinguish from current PAD in the following manner

Thematically

Cleanliness

Organization

Ordering

Costing

Inventory

Creation

Production

Setup

Execution

Sales

Breakdown

Education

These general topics are just basic guidelines

Please feel free to add your own

The most important thing is to create a valuable basin of information that can be efficiently packaged and therefore creatively and functionally employed

Best

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on some, akwa.

In the meantime, isn't this worthy of a bump?

I would love to hear from you guys.

BTW, any tips you could start off with, Will?

thanks!

2317/5000

Will, this is a nice idea. Instead of one, long, unmanageable thread all over the map, though, we should separate each one into its own thread, like "Secrets of the Pros: Cleanliness" and "Secrets of the Pros: Production," so discussion of the various elements can remain focused--and so students and non-pros can weigh in with their questions.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 4 weeks later...

I just remembered this topic after I answered the topic, Chocolate glaze and bubbles. I think the tips I gave there could be appropriate here. I'm really surprised that no one has added to this, so I'm hoping this will help it along.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68186

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Will, this is a nice idea.  Instead of one, long, unmanageable thread all over the map, though, we should separate each one into its own thread, like "Secrets of the Pros: Cleanliness" and "Secrets of the Pros: Production," so discussion of the various elements can remain focused--and so students and non-pros can weigh in with their questions.

steve

i humbly request your help

as i dont know how to split threads

couldnt one master thread feed into all?

maybe more detail would be desirable pm

organization avant tout choses

I like to know exactly what I'm going to do everyday, long before I arrive and start setting up.

I have a production list broken down to the individual components of every dessert, and color coded to indicate baking, frozen items, sauces, etc. Before I breakdown at the end of my day, I check off everything I need to do the next day. That way, when I come in, I know where I have to start (everything that needs to be rested or baked first, everything I need for diner that day, followed by everything I need for lunch tommorow, prep for sauces and bases, etc).

Another biggie is low-boy efficiency. If I ever have spare time I juice a bunch of lemons and sepperate a bunch of eggs and quart everything up. That way if I somehow get screwed up and have to rush, alot of the tedious stuff is taken care of already. On the subject of eggs, another great tip is to ask everyone working in the kitchen if they're using only whites/yolks for anything. Chances are there's some knucklehead garde manger that's throwing away 20 whites a day which you could be using.

Figure out what needs to be used up before you order a bunch of stuff for a special, on a whim. If you have a bunch of one-third full fruit cases going rotten in the walk-in, you are sombody's nightmare. It may not be awe-inspiring to do a strawberry special two-weeks in a row, but if you have it you really ought to use it. In an anywhere near organized operation there will be someone keeping tabs on how much you spend on special vs how many you sell.

That leads into over-production. Dessert specials sell poorly, period. Probably in part becasue most servers are too busy/distracted to tell customers they even exist. I aim to make very small batches of everything for specials. 86ing specials is no big deal--it actually lokks good. Conversely, I'd rather put out a whole half-sheet of chocolate cake for comida than have one customer be informed that the chocolate menu item is kaput.

I could type forever and not even scratch the surface, but I think those are some helpful organizational tips.

Will, this is a nice idea. Instead of one, long, unmanageable thread all over the map, though, we should separate each one into its own thread, like "Secrets of the Pros: Cleanliness"

Yes! Let's start with that one, shall we?

Like, how do you deal with working in a kitchen full of SLOBS!!!!!

Argh. I'm at my wit's end sometimes.

Like today, I bleach down and flour my worktable to roll out some cinnamon rolls. I go to get

my dough, and when I get back, there's a pile of raw pork tenderloin sitting on a corner.

"Oh, do you mind if I put that there for a sec?"

Yes, Yes I DO!!!!!! :wacko:

clean up for them

generally this will force them to address the issue or allow them to ignore it

you will either be inspirational or fire worthy

otherwise find a chef who is as diligent about cleaning as you

Actually, akwa, I have to agree. This works really well especially if they're not busy because then it makes them kind of feel bad they didnt take care of it. One guy I use to clean his station for him just because I got sick and tired of looking at the mess and eventually he got so anal he would start doing it to other people.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

clean up for them

generally this will force them to address the issue or allow them to ignore it

you will either be inspirational or fire worthy

otherwise find a chef who is as diligent about cleaning as you

Don't want to "threadjack" this thread, but I will reply to the above.

I do clean up their messes constantly, because I have to in order to get my stuff done.

And yes, it allows them to ignore it.

AND they don't feel guilty at all.

So if I want to work in a clean environment I have to do it myself. Which adds to my workload.

Which kinda makes me mad. I just deal with it, but sometimes I wanna blow my top.

Realistically, looking for a job, finding one that challenges you and suits you, pays well, is close to home, AND where the chef is a cleanliness freak? Kind of a long shot.

Especially here in Tinytown.

Luckily too, the only problem I really deal with in my job is the neatness thing, so when you think about it, I don't really have it that bad. Not at all.

Before I breakdown at the end of my day, I check off everything I need to do the next day. That way, when I come in, I know where I have to start (everything that needs to be rested or baked first, everything I need for diner that day, followed by everything I need for lunch tommorow, prep for sauces and bases, etc).

This is also in my "Bible of Meez"! (as in Mise en Place)! I call it "Hit the Ground Running".

I love the fact that I can go into work and know exactly what I need to do, and not waste a moment. Well, unless you get some bizarro order that you have to fill yesterday, so I make

allowances for re-prioritizing. On my list are always "things I GOTTA do" and "things I WANNA

do". The "wanna's" go away if I get that last minute emergency thing. :smile: