• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking Towards Annapolis

Does anyone have restaurant suggestions for the fair city of Annapolis?

Heck, I'll even take suggestions if you think the city stinks.

I'm looking for restaurants in three different catagories. First, places where a couple can enjoy a very good dinner together. Der Brucer and I like a wide variety of foods...think of this as the anything goes catagory.

Second, places where we can take der Brucer's daughter for lunch. This gets trickier, because she will not eat chicken :huh: and is allergic to shellfish. But she works in the area and we'd like to get together with her on occasion.

Third, trickiest of all, places where we can take der Brucer's daughter and her two boys (aged 8 and 5), for either lunch or an early dinner. Of the boys, the younger likes to try all kinds of things at least once, but the older is a very fussy eater...heck, let's just concentrate on the younger lad, since the older one will fuss his way out of eating anything.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions you can give!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Check out previous Annapolis thread.

I'd add to my previous post places I haven't been but are at the top of my list:

Lewnes' Steaks

Harry Browne's

Sputnik Cafe

And though I think Eunny Jang's criticism of Yin Yankee is fair (the fusion thing can go too far), I still like it.

For as much money and as close as Annapolis is to two major cosmopolitan cities, I'm amazed at how uninteresting the restaurant scene is. I think that's why places like O'Leary's and Lewnes' and Harry Browne's get so many raves -- that they do basically standard stuff, but do it really really well. The buzz I get is that Sputnik Cafe is the most creative kitchen in town (well, it's sort of in town, anyway -- in Crownsville).

Bridget Avila

My Blog

'First, places where a couple can enjoy a very good dinner together. Der Brucer and I like a wide variety of foods...think of this as the anything goes catagory."

Two of my favorites for a nice dinner with the wife are Joss and Les Folies. Both very consistent and good. Joss doesn't take reservations, so can be a wait at weekend prime time.

http://www.josscafe-sushibar.com/josshome2.htm

http://lesfoliesbrasserie.com/

"Second, places where we can take der Brucer's daughter for lunch. This gets trickier, because she will not eat chicken huh.gif and is allergic to shellfish. But she works in the area and we'd like to get together with her on occasion."

How about one of the Irish pubs downtown? All have decent pub grub, lots of meat and taters and such, plenty of non chicken, non shellfish choices. I like the corned beef platter at Galway Bay.

http://www.seandonlons.com/

http://www.galwaybayannapolis.com/

http://www.castlebayirishpub.com/

"Third, trickiest of all, places where we can take der Brucer's daughter and her two boys (aged 8 and 5), for either lunch or an early dinner. Of the boys, the younger likes to try all kinds of things at least once, but the older is a very fussy eater...heck, let's just concentrate on the younger lad, since the older one will fuss his way out of eating anything."

My favorite place for a good meal and a bargain is Jalapenos. Spanish and Mexican, the kids can get tacos or burritos or fajitas and the adults can get really good tapas the best margaritas in town. Been there with many young relatives, works well for them. Say hi to Gonzalo for me!

http://www.jalapenosonline.com/

If you go to Jalapeno's, make a reservation, or be prepared to wait a LONG time. I'd also give them a vote in general, though I've never brought kids there myself. Nice ceviche and posole.

Some other Mexican (or Salvadoran, maybe?) places that usually fly under the average gringo Annapolitan's radar are Los Nortenas and Taqueria Serrano. Try the pupusas... yum.

Of the Irish places mentioned, I like Galway Bay best.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

If you go to Jalapeno's, make a reservation, or be prepared to wait a LONG time.  I'd also give them a vote in general, though I've never brought kids there myself.  Nice ceviche and posole.

Some other Mexican (or Salvadoran, maybe?) places that usually fly under the average gringo Annapolitan's radar are Los Nortenas and Taqueria Serrano.  Try the pupusas... yum.

Of the Irish places mentioned, I like Galway Bay best.

Agree about Los Nortenas (assuming it's the one in Edgewater?). Simple Salvadoran freshly prepared. I'm usually the only gringo in there. Entertainment is soccer matches on loud TV in Spanish.

Is Taqueria Serrano the one on Forest drive across from Annapolis seafood? Haven't tried there yet.

On the other thread I may have mentioned O'Leary's. Ok I will mention it again. It is consistant and good. Incredible service, awesome food. We keep our boat out at Mears in Eastport and we go there at leat once a week in season! Ask for Gretchen as your server, she is great, but they all are pretty good! For Asian spin and suchi try Yinn Yankee downtown. It is always very good and original. I have hear good things about the Wild Orchid in Eastport but have never been. For the kids try Rockfish, again in Eastport over the bridge, good selection for them and you will like it too.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Does anyone have thoughts on Yellowfin? I've eaten there a dozen times or so and think they consistently turn out great dishes (especially -- surprise! -- seafood). It's unfortunate that the bar scene is so loud -- the acoustics are terrible and the noise can interfere with an otherwise enjoyable dining experience.

Does anyone have restaurant suggestions for the fair city of Annapolis?

We LOVE Galway Bay in Annapolis. MUCH better than any of the other Irish pubs in the city IMO. This is more quality/upscale food than you might expect. DELISH!! Very well done! I think it's one of Annapolis' greatest restaurant secrets.

Also, we've had VERY good luck (3 times) at Aqua Terra right on Main Street. The web site has a menu, but quite frankly, it's always different when we visit. Bottom line is whatever is fresh and in season dictates the menu.

Edited by Chanteuse (log)
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

a couple extra comments...

DTB had good suggestions,particularly Jalapeno's (skip the mexican, and do the tapas or paella) and Chickn'Ruths for atmosphere, breakfast at least/best.(they say the pledge of allegiance every morning!). You could easily do Jalapeno's with the kids, just go a bit early. Les Folies is good French, albeit a bit stuffy. Don't be put off by the ugly exterior.

Galway Bay (on Md. Ave) has the best food of the many Irish places around town.

For your "nice dinner"... I think Lewnes' is the best, if you like steak...very professional staff, excellent aged beef, and other good menu items to choose from if you are not into beef. (do not go to Ruth Chris')

I would stay away from any of the MD historic inns (treaty paris, md inn, etc). Food is mediocre-to-bad.

Yellowfin does have a fantastic view of the South River, but I don't think it getting in the car for. I have been for drinks several times, which is fun, but VERY LOUD, horrible acoustics I guess. The noise carries over to the rest of the dining rm unfortunately. Food has been mediocre the 2 times I have dined there, and at a private party I attended there, the food was horrible.

Harry Browne's has great atmosphere, on state circle, but the excellent chef (formerly Pesce and Galileo) has left, and the menu has been dumbed down. Still ok tho, just not the best place in town anymore. Valet pking on weekends.

Aquaterra is a hit or miss... they have had several kitchen shakeups... they seem to have a very hard time holding onto people. The menu changes A LOT. I would categorize this cusine as Confusion (to borrow from another thread!). Things like white chocolate-rosemary mashed potatoes... yech!

If Der Brucer's daughter is local... does she not have suggestions/choices?

For crab and atmosphere, staying close, Cantler's is the place to take visitors, altho it is not nearly as good as it used to be. Sit outside.

Carrol's Creek,on the Easport side, has been renovated, and the setting is lovely,with the view back over to Annapolis Citydock. Decent food. I had an excellent dinner not too long ago, and it is one of my usual lunch places.

Yin Yankee gets good press, but for the life of me, I don't have a clue why. Funny, odd little place, not clean-looking, mmaybe that's what makes the food/experience not good. Food is ok. Convenient location tho.

For sushi, and anything Asian, I prefer Tsunami, on West street. Joss has good sushi, but I prefer the sushi, the atmosphere and the rest of the excellent menu at Tsunami. Great meeting place, excellent cocktails, Dark blue interior, changes over after dinner to a very hip, happening place, with dj and crowded bar. The whole crispy fish is Fabulous, and also order the Yamato Tofu... it looks as if it's alive and moving when it is served (if they do it right)... delicious and fun.

HTH, Woody.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.