• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sponsored Chef

edsz

Astute points about the hypocrisy of the WSJ.

I'm not a huge fan of "branding" (how I hate this word) and some instances--like the insect exhibit at the Smithsonian brought to you by insecticide company X--are really beyond the pale.

But I can think of many cases where this sort of thing could be very good for the customer. What if, for example, José gets access to the first jamón ibérico that is available for import to the US and he gets a favorable price from the producers for promoting the product. Who in their right mind would complain!

Or if, like so many wine bars here in Madrid, he gets Spanish wine or sherry at a discount from certain producers--in return, he could create a market for these (excellent) wines...

Edited for hispanicized spelling errors.

Edited by butterfly (log)