• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maiko on Bernard: any good?

larkhess

I will confirm that. You will have a nice time, and their lobster maki and kaki-age (crab with uni mayonnaise) are interesting warm rolls to try. Be different and have a Pinot Noir with your meal too.

Maiko on Bernard is also better than Maiko on Sources; the kitchen team is more aware/adept and the service is more fluid.

Edited by wattacetti (log)

I went to the Sources location first on a couple of occasions, and haveing been dissapointed by what I had found on Cote des Neiges and Mountain, enjoyed it. Maiko's on Sources is run by Maiko's sister. Then they started being flaky but the last time they seemed to have stabilized again - that's about a year ago. The decor and layout of the Sources resto is very nice, especially being next door to a Chinese all-you-can-eat place in the West Island wasteland.

Great place for lunch if you're out there anyway.

Then I went to the Bernard location and as wattacettti says - it's more together. Sit at the sushi bar and watch Maiko in action. Inventive rolls galore.

The best dish I found both at sources and Bernard was the Scallops Maiko. Scallops in a cream souce, lightly broiled with some Ikura in the sauce.

I'd recommend Maiko over a lot of Montreal Sushi places... probably best to stay away from traditional Nigiri and try salads and appetizers.

Edited by sf&m (log)

Can anyone tell me about the price range of Maiko? A lot of people telling me that Mikado on Laurier is a good Sushi place, any comment?

You may have a peek at Maiko's price range yourself on their website; the menu (and pricing) are presented intact.

Been a while since I was last at Mikado but it had been okay.

Edited by wattacetti (log)

Truth: neither Miakdo nor Maiko are the best of the admittedly less-than-stellar top-shelf sushi available in Montreal. My personal favorite is Zenya which is close to Future Shop on Ste. Catherine downtown. To me, everything else pales in comparison. But then again, Montreal sushi is pretty blah to begin with... and certainly not worthy of note, let alone a visit or your hard-earned cash...

Truth: neither Miakdo nor Maiko are the best of the admittedly less-than-stellar top-shelf sushi available in Montreal. My personal favorite is Zenya which is close to Future Shop on Ste. Catherine downtown. To me, everything else pales in comparison. But then again, Montreal sushi is pretty blah to begin with... and certainly not worthy of note, let alone a visit or your hard-earned cash...

You re right to suggest that montreal Sushi is "Blah", the problem is in simple supply and demand.

The price of fish is very high because of the global popularity of Tuna among other fish. Because Montrealers eat out so frequently, their budgets per meal are quite low, causing a price war between restaurants. THat is to say, that the top quality fish and seafood products don't come to Montreal because not enough people will pay.

I find Maiko does a good job given the margins (prices they are charging)

If you want to see sushi bar doing exiting new things, go see the Chef at Japon sushi in ville- St- Laurent, make sure you talk to the chef and tell him what you like.

If you want to see sushi bar doing exiting new things, go see the Chef at Japon sushi in ville- St- Laurent, make sure you talk to the chef and tell him what you like.

I have been to Japon and I have done that; let's just say that our opinions diverge.

:laugh:

the new "oishii sushi" (Bernard on the _East_ side of Park) has nice sushi and a great assortment of non-sushi dishes too, like a gorgeous fish carpaccio.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

the new "oishii sushi" (Bernard on the _East_ side of Park) has nice sushi and a great assortment of non-sushi dishes too, like a gorgeous fish carpaccio.

I second that! Oishii has beautiful, beyond fresh sushi... and the white fish carpaccio is to die for! As is the seared black cod! I was there a week ago, and tried the chef of the day's specialty (apparently there is more than one sushi chef at Oishii)... thick squares of salmon sashimi coated in green tea sugar with a drop of yuzu mayo and a thin slice of avocado. Ask about this special little item. It's truly delicious. Oishii is a nice new addition to the mile end/outremont neighborhood.

Edited by Mlle Tatin (log)

Hmm, Is Oishii Sushi about one block down from Park on Bernhard, left side going east, sliding windows that open up to the street??

I went to that place last fall and it was totally untogether, bad service, un-memorable sushi...

Or is Oishii a "2005-new" place??

Hmm, Is Oishii Sushi about one block down from Park on Bernhard, left side going east, sliding windows that open up to the street??

I went to that place last fall and it was totally untogether, bad service, un-memorable sushi...

Or is Oishii a "2005-new" place??

just to clarify, geographically: :smile:

--Maiko Sushi is one block West/left on Bernard from Parc (if you're standing facing North);

--Oishii Sushi is one block East/right on Bernard from Parc.

hope this helps. try both!

:biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen