• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FreshDirect and other NYC online grocers 2005

Fat Guy

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask whether other members have had problems with FreshDirect, specifically incorrect items shipped and broken cryovac/vacuum pack seals. I use them only two or three times a year, but such problems seem to arise too often and I wonder whether frequent shoppers experience these things regularly. I should say that they are very responsive to complaints and clear them up quickly, but sometimes this throws cooking plans off track.

Had some early problems with wrong items, and one time a box of my order went missing. And the periodica piece of produce that wasn't up to snuff. However, as you say, customer service is always quick to credit for any mistakes or any complaints about quality of product.

The one complaint I do have somewhat regularly, is that fish portions are not always consistent. For example, ordering 2 6-8 oz filets, I have often got a total of about a pound, but consisting of one large thick piece and one small thin piece -- thus not have two equal servings. They seem to be more concerned with the overall weight than the individual piece weight.

I order from freshdirect 1-2 times per month. Their packaged foods are fantastic. Their meats (I usually get 2" strip steaks, I'm a bachelor) are quite good, for the price. It's in the produce that they fall behind. I don't expect them to pick out the best of the best like I would at the market myself, but all too often I open the box and see wilted lettuce, or asparagus past its prime with loose tips, or gray cauliflower. I always complain, and they always happily credit my account when this happens, but then I'm stuck without a veg to eat for dinner.

Still though, living in manhattan you can't beat freshdirect for delivering staples like soda and milk. Sure beats carrying that stuff around!

Edited by Rodalpho (log)

I use them regularly and have since they started delivering to the UWS. Around the Jewish High Holydays I had the only serious problem with them that I've had in all the years I'm using them.

As a consequence I tried Bread n'Brie a new service that specifically told me that they were delivering to the UWS. I spent time on their site to create an order, got a receipt to say they would deliver and then got a phone call that night they didn't deliver to my area! Forget them, ever.

bliss

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask whether other members have had problems with FreshDirect, specifically incorrect items shipped and broken cryovac/vacuum pack seals. I use them only two or three times a year, but such problems seem to arise too often and I wonder whether frequent shoppers experience these things regularly. I should say that they are very responsive to complaints and clear them up quickly, but sometimes this throws cooking plans off track.

I presume I received the e-mail below because I'm technically a FD customer, even though I've only placed one order since signing-up two years ago. Or maybe it's because I recently complained to CB 7 about FD's idling trucks in front of my building. In any event, I applaud the environmentally friendly steps they're taking. I may even order some items from them when they finally get rid of those pesky boxes.

October 1, 2007

Dear Joseph,

At FreshDirect, we've always been proud to be a homegrown NYC business. With that thought in mind, we believe we have a responsibility to serve our customers with an eye toward a healthy, prosperous future for our neighbors and the city we all love.

Though we're still a very young company (as of this summer we're just five years old), we intend to act as responsible environmental stewards and to work toward better serving our neighborhood while we take care of both customers and employees.

FreshDirect will accomplish this in several ways:

1. CUTTING EMISSIONS FROM OUR DELIVERY TRUCKS.

We love that our trucks have become a mass transit system for food, each one replacing the many cars and cabs that would otherwise be used to bring families and food together. We're committed to making our trucks as clean-burning and low-impact as possible.

FreshDirect has partnered with Tri-State Biodiesel, a NYC-based company dedicated to providing the region with clean, renewable biodiesel sources. Tri-State uses cooking oil donated from our kitchen for use in non-toxic diesel fuel. In the next year, we plan to initiate biodiesel use in 100% of our delivery fleet. This action will both reduce emissions and cut back our use of fossil fuel products.

Additionally, we are working with the city to identify locations for electrical outlets so we can plug in our trucks and refrigerate using electric engines. We hope to have our first plug-in truck in mid-2008.

2. REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF WASTE WE PRODUCE.

We recently switched our delivery boxes in favor of boxes that use 100% recycled fiber content - no virgin fibers are needed in any FreshDirect box. We're proud to announce that within the next 3 years, we'll eliminate nearly all of our cardboard delivery boxes, replacing them with recyclable plastic totes and grocery bags. Since our facility was designed with cardboard boxes in mind, switching our systems will involve a complex re-engineering process. We believe these efforts will drastically reduce our use of cardboard and eliminate any challenges we currently face with under-packed boxes.

3. FEEDING OUR NEEDIEST NEIGHBORS.

We work hard to make sure that surplus food doesn't go to waste. Accordingly, FreshDirect is one of City Harvest's largest food suppliers, helping them to feed New York's neediest. We were recognized this year for "extraordinary dedication," and we intend to maintain that level of commitment.

4. INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF LOCAL PRODUCTS WE SELL.

Forging partnerships with good people doing good work has been a FreshDirect hallmark for years, and few companies sell more local products. Buying from farms, orchards, dairies and fisheries in the Tri-state area reduces the use of fossil fuels, supports artisanal craftsmanship and stimulates our local economy. During the next year, we will further extend our commitment to local producers and work to bring you even more options for locally-based eating.

5. PROVIDING EVEN MORE INFORMATION TO HELP CUSTOMERS MAKE INFORMED CHOICES.

Environmental choices are often complicated, highly personal decisions. That's why FreshDirect believes in offering customers the opportunity to make informed choices for themselves and their families. We will continue to deliver on that commitment by looking for new ways to deliver quality food alongside thorough information. In the coming year, we'll work to increase our selection of fish certified as sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council. And by the end of 2007, our Seafood Department will display the sustainability status on each product.

These commitments demonstrate just a few of the ways we're working to make FreshDirect a sustainable company and a good neighbor within our community. We look forward to keeping you up-to-date on our progress in the months and years to come.

Best Regards,

Steve Michaelson

FreshDirect President and CEO

Susan Schreiber

FreshDirect Environmental Initiatives Director

Edited by JosephB (log)

have received incorrect items, opened items and items with too short expiration dates. they are very responsive but if one has planned a menu around a particular item, it means the extra effort of running out to the local market to replace the missing or damaged item in a timely fashion.