• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Pepin's "Gravlax"

rxrfrx

On the episode of Jacques Pepin Fast Food My Way entitled "Dining Al Fresco," Pepin prepared a dish of raw sea bass he called "gravlax," but was unlike any type of gravlax I'd seen before. It was more of a tartare.

The official title is "Sea Bass Gravlax With Cucumbers," and I'd assume it's in his book (which I'm having trouble obtaining on short notice). Would anyone with the book be willing to list the ingredients or PM me the recipe?

As a broader inquiry, does anyone make something like this? Here's what I remember:

+ cubed fish

+ oil

+ mirin

+ cubed cucumber

+ chopped chile pepper

+ salt

This was all mixed up (with some other stuff) and served as-is.

Thanks!

On the episode of Jacques Pepin Fast Food My Way entitled "Dining Al Fresco," Pepin prepared a dish of raw sea bass he called "gravlax," but was unlike any type of gravlax I'd seen before.  It was more of a tartare.

The official title is "Sea Bass Gravlax With Cucumbers," and I'd assume it's in his book (which I'm having trouble obtaining on short notice).  Would anyone with the book be willing to list the ingredients or PM me the recipe?

As a broader inquiry, does anyone make something like this?  Here's what I remember:

+ cubed fish

+ oil

+ mirin

+ cubed cucumber

+ chopped chile pepper

+ salt

This was all mixed up (with some other stuff) and served as-is.

Thanks!

As I understand the copyright rules, the ingredient list is OK so here you go:

12 ozs sea bass free of skin bones and sinews and cubed (1/2")

2 T chopped sweet onion

2 T chopped cilantro

1 t minced jalapeno or serrano (or to your taste)

1 1/2 T Evoo

1/2 t salt

1/4 t pepper

That's it for the fish. Then there is a cucumber garnish and a tomato garnish.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Excuse my grousing, but I smell something fishy here. And I'm not referring to the fact that Pepin's approach is nothing like the traditional technique for preparing gravlax. No, my beef is that "sea bass gravlax" is an oxymoron. As any Swede will tell you, gravlax is a compound of two words: gravade, pickled or cured, and lax, salmon (akin to lox). Linguistically speaking, sea bass gravlax makes as much sense as pork coq au vin, tuna beef wellington or a peach candy apple.

pork coq au vin, tuna beef wellington or a peach candy apple.

All of these would be something that I would eat. Especially the peach.

Wrong? Perhaps.

Good? Probably. :raz::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Excuse my grousing, but I smell something fishy here. And I'm not referring to the fact that Pepin's approach is nothing like the traditional technique for preparing gravlax. No, my beef is that "sea bass gravlax" is an oxymoron. As any Swede will tell you, gravlax is a compound of two words: gravade, pickled or cured, and lax, salmon (akin to lox). Linguistically speaking, sea bass gravlax makes as much sense as pork coq au vin, tuna beef wellington or a peach candy apple.

Good work dude. You got to that point before me, but better still, you got there before Fat Guy!! :cool:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

peach candy apple.

I'm going to make this. Its has to be good.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 months later...

Actually, The two components would be Gravad and Lax, Gravade is the Perfekt form of the word, as in "Anna gravade laxen" (Anna pickled the salmon). Nothing big, but still worth pointing out. And Gravlax on Sea bass is indeed wrong, it would rather be Gravad Aborre in Swedish. We also pickle Whitefish (lavaret) where I live, it's quite good, Gravad Sik in Swedish.

Speaking of candy apple peaches, my dear MIL had a beautiful recipe for canning peaches where we melted down "red hot" candies, then simmered the peaches in them before the water bath. Very beautiful, tasted like heavenly heat, and won blue ribbons all over AZ and NM. So, I think a candied peach in the red cinnamon shell would indeed be star. And a lot easier to bite into. :smile:

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I always understood gravlax to be the cured salmon I crave so bad. Bass is just wrong, man, SO wrong. Sorry, Jacques, still love ya though.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I always understood gravlax to be the cured salmon I crave so bad. Bass is just wrong, man, SO wrong. Sorry, Jacques, still love ya though.

i've been meaning to start a thread that's basically an 'i love jacques and believe that he can do no wrong, but he says X is done this way and i always understood it to be done that way' kind of thing. gotta get on that...