• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best: Lobster Roll

scordelia

A good fish sandwhich is one of those things that when described in words....well it just doesn't sound that good. When experienced, however, it's another thing all together. The first one I ever had was at a lunch truck outside the gate at Electric Boat in Groton, CT. It had cheese and tarter sauce on it and had been wrapped up hours before, yet, it had enough merit to it to lay the groundwork for more research. One of the problems with an item such as this is the fact that when you are trying a new place out for the first or second time, a fish sandwhich is usually not what you would go for, unless they were famous for it. In other words, by the time I try the fish sandwhich at a place, it's safe to say I've already hit the other menu items pretty hard.

Village Pizza in Preston, CT has a pretty darned good rendition of it.

Cheers,

HC

A good fish sandwhich is one of those things that when described in words....well it just doesn't sound that good. When experienced, however, it's another thing all together. The first one I ever had was at a lunch truck outside the gate at Electric Boat in Groton, CT. It had cheese and tarter sauce on it and had been wrapped up hours before, yet, it had enough merit to it to lay the groundwork for more research. One of the problems with an item such as this is the fact that when you are trying a new place out for the first or second time, a fish sandwhich is usually not what you would go for, unless they were famous for it. In other words, by the time I try the fish sandwhich at a place, it's safe to say I've already hit the other menu items pretty hard.

Village Pizza in Preston, CT has a pretty darned good rendition of it.

Cheers,

HC

I have been pathetically addicted to fish sandwiches lately. It's ridiculous. One week I had them three days in a row from three different places. I guess I can blame it partly on living in Plymouth. There's many places to get a good fish sandwich here, and I only just fell in love with the damn things a month ago. Had my first ever, and got hooked.

Isaacs on the Water is where I go for a leisurely lunch, sit at the bar overlooking the harbor, and get my cajun dusted, broiled haddock sandwich. This is pretty darned good. It's flaky fresh haddock, with a buttery spicy breadcrumb topping on a plump roll with tartar sauce.

When I want to dine and dash, or get it to go, I go to Lobster Hut if I'm craving a fish sandwich, but want to be sort of 'good' and get it broiled instead of fried. Nothing fancy here, just a filet of broiled haddock on a soft bun.

The favorite though, is the fried filet of fish sandwich, from the same place I get the gorgeous lobster roll, Wood's. It's a steal too, $4.95 gets you a big lightly fried piece of schrod, on a buttered, grilled bun, and a side of fries.

And I learned the best way to enjoy these sandwiches....a few drops of tabasco mixed into your tartar sauce! Try it.

:) Pam :biggrin:

Holly-

Great picture. I'll probably see Bet is a few weeks when I go home so I'll tell her there is a cult following out here on e-gullet. Lobstermans Warf in E. Boothbay has a good one as well and since my Dad's office is almost next door in the summer many of them get cosumed. So one day we are there and order a couple of fish sandwiches. Apparently one of the dishwashers caught a mackerel off the deck and so they brought us our sandwiches but my dads was still moving since they just slaped the mackerel between two buns and served it to him... wicked funny!

... wicked funny!

Now there's a Mainiac! :laugh:

Uh, Mainer...mainiac is something else.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

• 4 weeks later...

Took in the scene at Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth y'day...

gallery_16643_1313_14676.jpg

...and had a terrific Lobster Roll:

gallery_16643_1313_23561.jpg

An interesting thing I noted was the idea to dollop a bit of mayo on one end of the roll, instead of mixing it up as a "lobster salad". This came up in eG-member Daniel's trip to Maine this past Memorial Day weekend: Lower New England serves their Lobster roll hot in butter but Maine seems to prefer it as a salad. Two Lights offered both options, in a sense, served on a nicely toasted bun. There was a good serving of fresh crisp lobster, but I could have eaten a trayful of 'em. :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I did not eat it but really liked the looks of the lobster roll at Abbotts in Noank.. The traditionalist might not like it do it being served on a hamburger bun... But the amount of lobster looked impressive.. It also looked like it was prepared in a metal ring because its circular shape..

Last night i banged out a hot lobster roll of my own... In my opinion nothing can beat homemade..

gallery_15057_1310_51187.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I had a strong craving for a lobster roll the other day, and since it's been so hot and muggy here in western Mass lately, decided it would make a nice summer dinner.

Stopped by our local Stop & Shop and had them steam two lobsters (total of 3.4 lbs). Since Hellman's Mayo was on sale, I picked up a jar of the real stuff -- we usually use light, perish the thought. Butter and sugar corn was on sale, so I bought some of that, along with long potato rolls and a bag of my husband's favorite chips, State Line.

Back at home, my daughter helped me shell the lobster meat, which I cut up and mixed with some of the mayo. We buttered the rolls and toasted them on a griddle. The lobster rolls were simply delicious, emphasis on simply. No filler, no fancy seasonings. Perfect summer meal.

• 4 weeks later...

Had an awesome lobster roll for lunch last Saturday (july 23rd).

Kennedy's Bar & Grill in Marlboro, MA.

About 6 ounces of lobster chunks simply dressed with mayo...came with choice of side and a cup of very good clam chowder - $18.95. Other food was good, too.

Some local beers on draught as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just returned from a week in Wellfleet on the Cape, and here is my local lobstah roll rec: The Methodist Church in Wellfleet (no kidding!). Last Friday of the month in summer, they sell lobster rolls for lunch. They are $9 each, generously filled with big chunks of lobster and not too much mayo.

So if you are in Wellfleet on the last Friday of the month, go there for lunch. They sell from 11-1, but try to get there early.

S. Cue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am not sure there are many options at this time of year - as far as the CT shoreline goes, pretty much all of the "lobster shack" type places would be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day w/ a few weeks on each side depending on the weather. Plus, I am not too sure that there are many places left that serve the rolls CT-style with butter.

http://merecat.org/food/dining/connecticut.html

I have not figured out how to actually attach an active link yet, but the above was the best reference I found.

Thanks for the link. Looks like the only place open is Lenny's Fish Market. Unless anyone else has thought's I'll probably stop there for a hot lobster roll ap and complete my lunch at Johnny Aps for some great fried clams.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I had my first hot lobster roll in many, many years at Lenny's. Bascally lobster warmed in butter and served on a toasted New England style hot dog roll. Who can't like butter warmed lobster on a hot dog roll?

But Maine style lobster rolls are soooo much better. Let me count the way's.

- Cold lobster lightly tossed in mayo on a warm toasted roll - the play of the two temperatures. The butter throughout the hot lobster roll blends everything together into a luke warm, single flavor and mushy mouthfeel.

- Crisp toasted roll on a Maine lobster roll versus sogged out toasted roll on a hot lobster roll.

- At Red's at least, the lobster roll is lobster meat on a toasted bun. Melted butter on the side. Cold lobster, warm toasted roll, a tasteful splash of warm butter versus lobster swimming in warm butter on a hot lobster roll.

- Presentation - the purity of white and red chilled lobster meat on a toasted bun. With a hot lobster roll everything seems orange/red - no sharp contrasts. The orange red makes me think of just about everything that comes out of Red Lobster's kitchen - not a pleasant memory.

Next time I drive through CT I'm sticking to hot dogs and pizza - at least between the coconut cruller at Coffee an' Donut in Westport and some of the best fried clams in New England at Johnny Ad's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I still loves the hot lobster.. But, I hear where you are coming from with your great description.. I appreciate both styles and cant really complain about either.. And Red's is an awesome place.

My problem is some places get carried away with the whole lobster salad thing. Using filler to hide small portions or old meat.. Red's and the better places obviously dont do this.. I could easily have any of these meals as my last and be happy..

Next time you're in Boston, check out Neptune Oyster Bar..on Salem St in the NE. In addition to a great selection of fresh oysters, they do a hot lobster roll w/butter on a brioche roll...incredible with a side of "real fries." They also do a cold, mayo lobster roll which I haven't tried.

Prices are on the high side; and with lots of oysters the bill can get up there quickly...but very high quality.

No self-respecting Maine lobster roll purveyor adds filler such as lettuce or celery.  I like  the crunch of celery and the bed of lettuce on a lobster salad.  But neither belongs on a lobster roll.

Hmm, I think that's a bit debatable, with respect to the lettuce. (Celery, definitely not!) I believe that they line the roll with a bit of iceberg at Five Islands. I like the additional crunch it provides, as long as it's used in moderation, & not to plump up the roll while they skimp on lobster - decidedly not the case at Five Islands.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 month later...

"The first one I ever had was at a lunch truck outside the gate at Electric Boat in Groton, CT. It had cheese and tarter sauce on it and had been wrapped up hours before, yet, it had enough merit to it to lay the groundwork for more research."

Oh, my God! I grew up in New London, Ct., Dad worked at EB in Groton. This is many, many years ago. Probably about 35 years ago! I remember eating at a bar across from Electric Boat's gates....it was one "chicken" lobster for $7.99, and two for $8.99. I was about 10 and Dad said I could order two lobsters if I ate them both. Well, even at that age, I knew how to pick a lobster and didn't leave a bit! What memories! I don't think it was lobster rolls, but it was whole lobsters and fresh fried clams to boot!

Family moved to Denver right after that, lived around the country, now in Philly.

We have good lobster rolls at Philadelphia Fish and Co., but its not the same as my Connecticut memories!

Philly Francophiles

I remember eating at a bar across from Electric Boat's gates....it was one "chicken" lobster for $7.99, and two for $8.99. I was about 10 and Dad said I could order two lobsters if I ate them both. Well, even at that age, I knew how to pick a lobster and didn't leave a bit! What memories! I don't think it was lobster rolls, but it was whole lobsters and fresh fried clams to boot!

Ah, yes the Appys $8.99 twin lobster special. Those were the days!

• 2 months later...
Next time you're in Boston, check out Neptune Oyster Bar..on Salem St in the NE. In addition to a great selection of fresh oysters, they do a hot lobster roll w/butter on a brioche roll...incredible with a side of "real fries." They also do a cold, mayo lobster roll which I haven't tried.

Prices are on the high side; and with lots of oysters the bill can get up there quickly...but very high quality.

Finally tried out the lobster roll at Neptune last Saturday - drool worthy - seriously drool worthy. $19 gets you the meat of two chicken lobsters, hot and buttered, on a toasted buttered brioche roll. The fries are actually quite good too. Definitely moved up as my favorite lobster roll in Boston (I didn't say Maine though, Holly!)

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

• 4 weeks later...

This from NYT dining $25&Under:

The mayonnaise-rich salad of chopped lobster meat tumbling out of a buttered and toasted hot dog roll (side-sliced, not top-sliced, for those keeping score in Maine) is not exactly a bargain at $23, but that is what the market will bear.

NYC: 0

MAINE: 1

:wink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com