• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best: Lobster Roll

scordelia

Well doc, if you're gonna throw the B&G one around, let me raise you one Neptune Oyster bar:

gallery_2_3088_13983.jpg

gallery_2_3088_62267.jpg

Thats from our Boston's North End thread. And yes, those are correctly made frites, twice fried.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Indeed, Jason, it does look delectable. So long as one uses a nice fresh lobster and plenty of it, can there be such a thing as a bad lobster roll?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm afraid there might just be such a thing as a bad lobster roll: Not so fresh, not plentiful, lettuce & tomato; frozen fries; on a croissant, no less!

gallery_1037_3424_82271.jpg

I did qualify my statement with plenty of fresh lobster! :laugh: The lobster roll that isn't is certainly a disappointment. I wouldn't actually mind a croissant if it was a good one and, again, the lobster was fresh and plentiful. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm afraid there might just be such a thing as a bad lobster roll: Not so fresh, not plentiful, lettuce & tomato; frozen fries; on a croissant, no less!

gallery_1037_3424_82271.jpg

I did qualify my statement with plenty of fresh lobster! :laugh: The lobster roll that isn't is certainly a disappointment. I wouldn't actually mind a croissant if it was a good one and, again, the lobster was fresh and plentiful. :wink:

It must be my 40 plus years as a Mainer...but my lobster "roll" made with a croissant?

That's simply....well...*misguided*

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

• 2 years later...
I had to share this nugget with you all!  The Bull and Claw Restaurant in Wells, ME offers a two foot long lobster roll that costs $33.  I saw a pic of it in today's sunday Press Hearald and tracked down their website.  Scroll down a bit and see this stuffed monster baguette!  "Almost a half pound of lobster!" they declare.

Not to be outdone, a challenge mounted recently to raise funds for childrens' swimming lessons resulted in a 61' 9" lobster roll - a pending Guinness Book record - here on Portland's waterfront yesterday.

click here for Portland Press Herald story/photo/video

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 year later...

Red's, the famous lobster shack in Wiscasset, Maine was featured in the August issue of "Working Waterfront". This nugget of knowledge stands out for me:

From mid-April to mid-October, Red's goes through eight and a half tons of lobster meat. Every day, the eatery serves two to three gallons of clams, five to six pounds of crabmeat, and 16 to 25 pounds of haddock.

Article Here

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Being from CT, Hot lobster rules here, and it is quite good. I have had them at Martys (RIP), The Clam Castle and they are great. I think what is different than the Neptune one is, that the Neptune looks like it is almost cooked in butter whereas in CT they are steamed lobster kept warm and butter added to the top.

I loved Bayleys lobster pound, right on the water! I had a cold and a mix breed, cold with mayo, but hot butter served and it was amazing, my wife frowned on the calories!

Really the best is home made. You make it your way. I like it with just a touch of mayo and s+P on a buttered new england hot dog bun. I do a quick saute of the lobster (just over half pound is perfect!). I have also done scallops this way, with just a dash of paprika, WOW!

I'm really hungry today!