• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best: Lobster Roll

scordelia

HungryChris brought up lobster rolls in the fried clam thread and kindly supplied us with a photo of a yummy looking lobster roll from The Village Retsaurant.

So who has the best one?

What makes the perfect lobster roll? (I think we can talk about crab rolls too)

S. Cue

Hey now, the Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth had their season opening last weekend and I was definitely headed out there in support of the New England Clam Crawl 2005.

...but now that you bring in the Lobster Roll, "The Shack" has consistently wowed visitors with their mostly knuckle meat roll. Not too goopy, plenty of lobster and not much else beside a bit of mayo. Needless to say, I will have to investigate!

Last year, Varmint made a pilgramage to Maine and had an over-loaded Lob Roll at Red's in Wiscasset. It happens.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

For lobster rolls, I have to go with Puddles on Little Cranberry--nice toasted roll (and it has to be those weird bread folded in half things that are unique to New England) with a little butter, lots of lobster and just enough mayo to hold it together. The Puddles roll is loaded--it comes flat and a knife and fork are required.

Now for the crab roll--Mike's in Ellsworth ME on State St. Mike's is a little grocery store that only makes crab rolls in the summah! It's up the hill from the courthouse. Lots of crab, just enough mayo, perfectly seasoned and only $5! Get that and a bag of Humpty Dumpty Clam & Sour Cream potato chips and you have yourself a lunch! There is no where to sit at Mike's, but take stroll down to library and there is a pretty park on the Union River.

S. Cue

Best lobster roll I've ever had was at Waterman's Beach Lobster Co. in Thomaston, ME. Simple and delicious.

Lots of Bostonians rave about the lobster rolls at B&G Oyster in the South End. I've not had the pleasure yet, but can assume that Barbara Lynch does a good job with them. She's not failed me yet.

Lots of Bostonians rave about the lobster rolls at B&G Oyster in the South End.  I've not had the pleasure yet, but can assume that Barbara Lynch does a good job with them.  She's not failed me yet.

It really is a very good lobster roll. I know some purists gag at the price ($22 I think). Substantial amount of knuckle meat. Almost parsimonious with the mayo and celery which is the way I like the salad prepared.

I haven't tried many versions of this classis but B&G is worth a visit.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Lots of Bostonians rave about the lobster rolls at B&G Oyster in the South End.  I've not had the pleasure yet, but can assume that Barbara Lynch does a good job with them.  She's not failed me yet.

It really is a very good lobster roll. I know some purists gag at the price ($22 I think). Substantial amount of knuckle meat. Almost parsimonious with the mayo and celery which is the way I like the salad prepared.

I haven't tried many versions of this classis but B&G is worth a visit.

I'm dying to try B & G. I'm super picky with Lobster rolls, and don't mind paying more to make sure I get Fresh Lobster. That's the key. Sweet fresh lobster, both tail and knuckle meat, a hint of mayo, and served in a buttered, grilled hot dog roll. I get mine in Plymouth at Wood's Seafood, and it's a steal at around $11.

I'm dying to try B & G. I'm super picky with Lobster rolls, and don't mind paying more to make sure I get Fresh Lobster. That's the key. Sweet fresh lobster, both tail and knuckle meat, a hint of mayo, and served in a buttered, grilled hot dog roll.  I get mine in Plymouth at Wood's Seafood, and it's a steal at around $11.

My suggestion is that if you find yourself in the South End on a Saturday afternoon about 4pm and hungry, it is the best time to go. The place is small and they don't take reservations. (The do a decent job with oysters as well.)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Maine rules when it comes to Lobster Roll. And Red's in Wiscasset rules when it comes to Maine Lobster Roll

gallery_14_1128_3442.jpg

Red's takes the classic "tourist trap" hit, but there is good reason that the lines are long and packed with repeat customers willing to pay $14 bucks for a lobster roll. Each roll contains a full lobster and then some.

Second place, the Cape Porpoise Lobster Company in Cape Porpoise just above Kennebunkport.

gallery_14_1128_600.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm super picky with Lobster rolls, and don't mind paying more to make sure I get Fresh Lobster. That's the key. Sweet fresh lobster, both tail and knuckle meat, a hint of mayo, and served in a buttered, grilled hot dog roll.  I get mine in Plymouth at Wood's Seafood, and it's a steal at around $11.

I agree, that's the concept.

And for my money nobody does it better than the folks on the pier at Five Islands, Maine. (First right off Rt. 1 after you cross the Kennebec via the Bath Bridge. Just follow the road all the way out the Georgetown peninsula until it ends. You'll find a working dock just before you drive into the ocean.)

We had a thread last year that incorporated a debate on whether Red's can be considered a true lobster roll, or merely a heap of lobster meat atop a toasted roll. I'm too tired to try & find it. I've also never been to Red's so must reserve judgement. But I remain skeptical of the claim that they have the best lobster roll, as opposed to one of the best values, in Maine.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I am surprised that the inevitable controversy between the 'hot' lobster roll and the 'cold' lobster roll, the former being a hot, butter based and the latter being a cold, mayo based has not yet sprung up. Some folks insist that the mayo based cannot even be called a lobster roll, but a lobster salad roll. My personal belief is that hot or cold, it must be served on a butter toasted Nissan or Nissan clone NE style roll.

The first 'lobster roll' I ever saw was of the cold, mayo type, served on the appropriate butter toasted Nissan roll, so that is what I go with. Having said that, I'm sure it's clear that the roll I posted a picture of on the 'best fried clam' thread was a non-contender in either category, good, but please, rules are rules!

Cheers,

HC

There is no controversy.  Lobster rolls are served cold, without diced celery and not on a bed of shredded lettuce.   :smile:

I agree, there is no controversy. I've never even heard of a hot lobster roll. I don't think I'd want to waste hot lobster on a sandwich, when I could savor it with melted butter instead. Oh, and Holly, I think I can see why the one from Red's wins awards.

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

I've had lobster rolls at Red's a couple of times - it's hard to miss on route 1 in Wiscasset, while you're stuck in traffic trying to get across the bridge heading north. Wiscasset is basically 6 blocks of antique stores and a traffic jam, at least in July and August. It's a fun place to stay for a day or two the rest of the year, with some great house tours, a music box museum, nice walks and a convenient location if you can move your car at all.

Red's is justly famous, and gives you a huge amount of lobster, very tender and more or less at the ambient temperature, and on a nicely toasted roll.

That said, in terms of my personal thoughts about what a lobster roll should be, I found it a little disappointing. It is, as someone said earlier in the thread, basically a huge pile of freshly-picked lobster on a toasted roll. I'm not sure it has even the thinnest film of mayonnaise. I think I read somewhere that it did, but I don't believe I could detect any.

I was born in southern Connecticut, where Jimmy's in Savin Rock, West Haven (still there, but different) held the lobster roll standard, and this meant sliced meat served warm with melted butter. I still like that best, and make one up if I have leftover steamed lobster. But cold tender lobster meat mixed up with just a little mayo and some celery salt on a warm toasted bun is also a great combo.

Anyway - Jimmy's was forced to admit years ago that their lobster roll was mainly langostino, and I think that started a long, slow decline in popularity for that particular menu item, though I believe the restaurant still does extremely well in the fried clam and hot dog departments. Lobster and Langostino Roll is just too many syllables (maybe no menu item should be shorter than its name).

As far as Red's goes, the guy who owns the rambling antique store just over the bridge to the north (a Mr. Cyr, and this is a great place to look for bargains - just watch for the front yard littered with iron bedframes) says that the town recently discovered that Red's seating area, basically a stretch of the imagination with picnic tables, is actually on town property. So no one knows what the future will bring. . .

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Never had a warm/hot lobster roll?!?!?!

It's not just about the lobster meat. It's about the warm buttery, lobster flavor that the toasted warm bun absorbs. The bun itself is enough to start my mouth watering.

Really, you ought to try one before you throw stones.

I had a lobster roll at B & G and found it quite disappointing -- it lacked any true lobster flavor. They got the buttery, toasted roll right, though.

We were recently on vacation in Nevis and had a lobster sandwich one day for lunch at Golden Rock plantation's beach front open air restaurant. The lobster salad itself was scrumptious, made with Caribbean lobster (all tail meat), a bit of mayonnaise, some finely chopped pickle and salt and pepper. It was served on thick, timmed homestyle white bread from one of the local island bakeries, with lettuce and tomato from one of the local hydroponic nurseries. It was served with cole slaw and cheesy cabbage gratin. We shared an order of hot, crisp fries and washed it all down with a couple of cold beers, Carib for me and Stag ("a man's beer") for mr. bushey.

Never had a warm/hot lobster roll?!?!?!

It's not just about the lobster meat.  It's about the warm buttery, lobster flavor that the toasted warm bun absorbs.  The bun itself is enough to start my mouth watering.

Really, you ought to try one before you throw stones.

No stone throwing going on. Just never heard of a hot lobster roll. You make it sound pretty good though.

Are they available anywhere in MA? Or is it a regional thing?

Have only had them at Lenny & Joe's in CT so I'm hardly an authority, but they are usually great. (Like any popular place, you can hit L&J on a bad night but I've probably only had 1 average lobster roll out of a dozen or more.) Unfortunately, b/c of the cost, I usually eat the scrod or clams instead.

I'll be sure to try a Maine (or Mass.) roll when I get the chance.

Clearly inspired but too cheap to spring for the real thing, I set about creating a substitute:

I poached a big salmon filet in mirin, chix stock, lemon and parsley on Sunday. I make sure there's enough to graze on during the week. So I minced about a tablespoon of celery, fennel bulb, cilantro and red onion... combined it with a dollop of mayo and a teaspoon or so of capers... then carefully separated the salmon leftover into "leaves" and folded them in. Toasted a Hannaford Bakery-fresh hotdog roll and...Voila!

gallery_16643_1028_25674.jpg

I added a twist of white pepper but no salt. What do we call it? Salmon Roll is taken!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Difficult to even read this thread being now far away from Lobsterland...

A famous food story in our famly is from the days when my Mom worked for a few summers in Martha's Vineyard when she was young. The stories were from when her boyfriend (now my Dad) came to visit and they would get Lobster Rolls from a little stand run by an older lady named Mrs. Grieder. They always claimed these were the best lobster rolls.

Interestingly, Mrs. Grieger is mentioned in Louise Tate King's and Jean Stewart Wexler's The Martha's Vineyard Cookbook. (good cookbook by the way w.r.t to recipes and lore of the Vineyard, written in the early 70's).

A stop in Gay Head at Mrs. Grieger's geranium-decked luncheonette or Manning's Snack Bar for a lobster roll and chowder was for years one of the delights of a summertime tour of the Island.  Now, alas, Mres. Grieder had died and the snack bar is gone...

The secret of her delicous filling, Mrs. Grieder once told us, was to chop the lobster meat very fine---"People don't like chunks in sandwiches".  She also emphasized the importance of buttering every bit of the frankfurter roll and of grilling the roll a long time very slowly.  Proper presentation was so important to her that she never let anyone else make the lobster rolls but tended to each order herself.

I had heard of her careful, personal ministrations to each roll previously from my parents.

She was writing before Ben and Jerry's became a phenomena obviously--and I admit to making my rolls with medium sized (but not huge chunks or finely chopped) pieces. Her recipe has a small amount of minced celery in there. (1/2 cup to 2 cups lobster meat) along with mayonnaise and a "sprinkle of lemon juice" and s&p. A little grated onion is optional.

The accompanying drink was freshly squeezed lemonade.

Did anyone else ever get a chance to eat there back in the day?

(The bulk of my lobster roll eating has been at home (back East) after a lobster dinner; always saving enough claws, knuckles between the bunch of us to make some good rolls).

Nice adaptation johnnyd. I can manage that out here!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hey now, we used to spend summers in Edgartown or chappy and a trip to Gay Head was mandatory. This was the sixties and all I remember was a place we (rather, I) used to get ice cream out there. Might be the same place

Portland Food Map.com

I've had both Red's and Five Islands, both excellent, but yes, Red's is merely lobster piled on, so 5 Islands edges out, due to the added prep.

I make it my mission for the 10 days every summer I am in Maine to eat lobster, or try to find the best lobster roll, so I have had a few experiences. I had a waitress at a private club tell me the best were at the General Store in West Point (go straight south from Bath, i think it's 216? towards Small Point. Take a right towards West Point and follow the signs). I did indeed make it over there, this was 2 summers ago, and the place was pretty questionable looking. Typical old general store, with sodas, ice, ketchup, bait, etc. Sandwiches to go or eat in. Mind you, this is on the end of the pier with all the lobster boats/traps busy and piled up. The 3 tables needed wiping off. A nuisance fly pestered around in the air that summer day. But I was rewarded indeed! By far the best lobster roll I have ever had. One hugely piled mountain of pure sweet deliciousness. On a soft but lightly toasted Nissan roll, of course, with plenty of chunks as well as little bits of sweet tender lobster, a thin binder of mayo, touch of celery salt/seasoning,... perfect in every way!

Hmmmm... now I am not so excited about my dinner plans tonight. :sad:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I've had both Red's and Five Islands, both excellent, but yes, Red's is merely lobster piled on, so 5 Islands edges out, due to the added prep.

One person's "merely" is another person's "wonderfully, just" :smile:

What I like so much about Red's is that it is just the lobster piled on a buttered, toasted, New England style hotdog bun. Melted butter or mayo on the side to add at one's pace. Or both, which is the way I like it. There is a downeast synergy to adding both melted butter and mayo to a Red's lobster roll.

That said I've come to the realization that there is major additional lobster roll eating required on my part. You all have twisted my arm; gotta get back to Maine this summer. So many lobster rolls still to taste.

With all this inspiring talk of lobster rolls, let me drift the discussion a tad. Anyone who researches lobster as lovingly as so many seem to do hereabouts has to take a meal off and head to Bet's Famous Fish Fry in a trailer off the square in Boothbay for a fish sandwich.

gallery_14_1128_2306.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter