• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intelligentsia Black Cat

Schielke

I recetly picked up some Black Cat blend for the first time while I was up in Vancouver recently.

My wife and I totally love this coffee and see the supply dwindling. I know you can order it from Intelligentsia online, but would like to find something similar and local. We used to use Vivace beans exclusively, but the Black Cat is so much better suited to our Drip Machine.

Any suggestions for Seattle?

Thanks!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Hmmmm... I have not yet had a chance to try Black Cat myself but I can tell you that the Vivace blends are generally very much optimized for espresso and may not translate as well to drip or press coffee.

I'm not personally a big fan of Zoka's standard espresso blend (the one they use in the store) nor am I enamored of Caffe Vita's del Sol espresso blend. Both of those places run great and huighly professional operations but the blends just aren't a good fit for my palate - YMMV.

Espresso blends are so subjective... bu I think three best candidates to test initially would be Lighthouse, Hines and Victrola. They all roast and blend their own and have different styles but all are worh trying.