• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2005

Jason Perlow

was the salt lick plate that big? or was it just for display? god, i hope it was that big! the sausage looks incredible!!! must go tomorrow.

That was a sample plate they made up nice for us and Gothamist.com.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That was a sample plate they made up nice for us and Gothamist.com.

wow, were you lucky! which sausage and brisket did you like better, Salt Lick's or Elgin's? why? have to decide which line is worth the time. thanks!

I liked them both for different reasons. Salt Lick was more heavily seasoned than Elgin. Both were excellent.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Thank God for the Bubba Fast Pass. Basically no lines and, for all of time I was there(12-2; 5-6), no paying either. Card is fully loaded, minus the cost of 2 beers. Of the places I tried, Salt Lick was best. Their brisket was very good. I was disappointed by their sausage as well as by the sausage at Elgin's (Elgin's brisket, at least the plate I got, was not good--oversmoked and bone dry). For the sausage, perhaps I was just expecting something else (think Black's in Lockhart or even our very own RUB).

My favorite last year was Mitchell's and so of course I got a sandwich from them. This was a service inconsistency, but none of the sandwiches we got, three of them, had chopped/minced pork in it or any cracklins (the pictures above bear little resemblance to what we got). For tomorrow, I'll definitely wait/ask for the sandwiches as they are pictured above. The ribs at 17th St BBQ were also inconsistent, I thought. Our first order was pretty dried out and unpleasant; my second order, almost at the end of the day, was very good. Their beans were top notch both times.

Does anyone have opinions on the other vendors I didn't mention? How did the folks from Mississippi and Arkansas do? I'll have to try their stuff out tomorrow. The folks from Dinosaur were pulling out a bunch of brisket as I was about to leave for the day. Even after having eaten 5 plates of food, they looked damn good.

Unfortunately, the word is that they are sold out of the Bubba Fast Pass for this year.

Anybody else have anything on this? Is this the regular pass that anybody (who wants to drop a c-note) can buy or the one that you have to have an AMEX gold card for?

I've been looking forward to tomorrow. Please don't tell me have to wait in line with the riff raff.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

My favorite last year was Mitchell's and so of course I got  a sandwich from them.  This was a service inconsistency, but none of the sandwiches we got, three of them, had chopped/minced pork in it or any cracklins (the pictures above bear little resemblance to what we got).  For tomorrow, I'll definitely wait/ask for the sandwiches as they are pictured above.

This picture is a special order Ed Mitchel personally prepared for Jason to photograph. Obviously, he added some big hunks of unchopped pork to the plate:

gallery_2_0_76800.jpg

This is a tray of plates ready to go out on the line, exactly as they were going to the people, at just after noon today:

gallery_2_0_93716.jpg

The crackling was served on the side instead of chopped into the meat, which I appreciate (if you have a tooth issue, you don't want to bite into crackling unprepared). What time did you get your plate? Perhaps they weren't so pristine a few hours into the day.

Unfortunately, the word is that they are sold out of the Bubba Fast Pass for this year.

Anybody else have anything on this? Is this the regular pass that anybody (who wants to drop a c-note) can buy or the one that you have to have an AMEX gold card for?

I've been looking forward to tomorrow. Please don't tell me have to wait in line with the riff raff.

i don't know that there was a card you could purchase with a regular Amex card- it was offered as a gold card event type thing, and the Bubba Fast Pass indicates that its a Gold Card Event.. i was worried that they would oversell these, but the setup for it was extremely smooth.. i spent most of the day wandering through the park on both sides of the line and in the park itself, which was packed until it started raining and the fastpass area was never more than a five minute wait at any stand- throughout the morning and early afternoon when the cards weren't useful, a lot of the stands had several portions available to grab and go.. when the computer system began to work, the whole thing slowed down a bit, since rather than having a terminal at each stand, you had to decide how many portions you wanted in total before going in so they could debit you.. if there had been more folks with cards at that point, it would've been more similar to the cash lines..

The Bubba Fast Pass has nothing to do with the AmEx gold/platinum cardmember party that they held on Friday night. The Fast Pass was available to anybody. I was told by several of the higher-ups at Union Square Hospitality Group that all the Bubba Fast Passes were sold out in advance of the event. At the same time, I got different information from a number of people who were working the event, and there does indeed seem to be a whole booth set up for the sale of Bubba Fast Passes -- I'm not exactly sure why they'd have such a booth if they had sold out in advance.

A few observations about the Bubba Fast Pass: 1) I told you so; anybody who didn't buy one should have listened when I told you to, 2) A single Bubba Fast Pass gets two people into the VIP area behind the pits, so you can share one with someone else, 3) A Bubba Fast Pass gets you and a guest into the VIP area even if there's no money on it (you can top it off or pay cash or, as happened today, just get stuff for free), 4) The difference between what happens on the public lines and what happens in the VIP area is amazing; it's two different events.

On another subject, in terms of the way they make up the barbecue plates, you need to fight for your rights. These places are serving thousands of portions in just a few hours and they're relying on staff that don't necessarily work in barbecue restaurants. But you absolutely can ask for brisket from the deckle or extra cracklin's or pieces of pulled rib meat in your chopped pork. You just have to be insistent and a little patient.

Brisket and sausage: I found that everybody I spoke to liked both the sausage and brisket from Salt Lick better than the sausage and brisket from Elgin. I felt exactly the opposite. So I don't know what's going on there. I must be losing it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I felt exactly the opposite. So I don't know what's going on there. I must be losing it.

Maybe the zillion percent humidity and over 90 degree weather had something to do with it. I'm really hoping it cools down tomorrow.

It was so freaking hot and humid that the synthetic rubberized grip on my digital camera actually PEELED OFF when I was holding it. Like the industrial adhesive turned into freaking goo.

We were there for several hours, we arrived at approximately noon and I think we left at like 4, and I must have drank at least 10 liters of water in that 4 hour period -- every pit I stopped at I grabbed a bottle of Fiji and chugged it. I didn't need to go to the bathroom once and didn't until we got home. Thats how freaking hot it was.

The Bubba Fast Pass has nothing to do with the AmEx gold/platinum cardmember party that they held on Friday night. The Fast Pass was available to anybody. I was told by several of the higher-ups at Union Square Hospitality Group that all the Bubba Fast Passes were sold out in advance of the event.

If anything, Amex GCE might have sold the Bubba Passes before they were made available to the general public, par for the course when it comes to Gold Card Events. (Can anyone confirm?) They might even be able to procure one for you (post-sellout) if you are a very high value customer, but you didn't hear that from me. :raz:

Edited by Jammin (log)

The Bubba Fast Pass has nothing to do with the AmEx gold/platinum cardmember party that they held on Friday night. The Fast Pass was available to anybody. I was told by several of the higher-ups at Union Square Hospitality Group that all the Bubba Fast Passes were sold out in advance of the event.

If anything, Amex GCE might have sold the Bubba Passes before they were made available to the general public, par for the course when it comes to Gold Card Events. (Can anyone confirm?) They might even be able to procure one for you (post-sellout) if you are a very high value customer, but you didn't hear that from me. :raz:

Jammin, You are correct about the Bubba Pass being available to Gold Card holders prior to the event. Gold Card holders were advised by e-mail in May, and it was on the events list on the AmEx website, but has now been removed.

Just a tip, if anyone if going today and want to buy a fast pass my advice: Go Early.

They stopped selling them yesterday at the Bubba Tent when they reached a certain quota. Lickily I already had mine. The line on the front side was easily 100 - 125 people, the line behind (fast pass) was at most 1 person ahead of me at most stands.

Although when 3 of the stands already sold out, so the lines got consildated onto the remaining stands, making the public lines that much longer.

I am heading back earlier today to try and snag a snout before they are gone. Hopefully the will not as humid today. :-)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

A few observations about the Bubba Fast Pass: 1) I told you so; anybody who didn't buy one should have listened when I told you to, 2) A single Bubba Fast Pass gets two people into the VIP area behind the pits, so you can share one with someone else, 3) A Bubba Fast Pass gets you and a guest into the VIP area even if there's no money on it (you can top it off or pay cash or, as happened today, just get stuff for free), 4) The difference between what happens on the public lines and what happens in the VIP area is amazing; it's two different events.

Mr. Shaw's I told you so notwithstanding, I was at Madison Park early this morning for the little boy's first play session of the day, did a little interrogating and found that the worst case does appear to have come to pass. No more fast passes. Cash it is. I daresay next year we should each buy ten fast passes and scalp them for twice the original price.

Early arrival it is then.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I had errands to do all day, but managed to make room for an hour or so this afternoon. Just got back a few minutes ago -- have laundry to do in a few minutes.

Impressions:

1. A Bubba Fast Pass is crucial. There were people who waited on the regular lines for upwards of half an hour only to find out that what they wanted was close to gone. Imagine a line twice as long as the length of a regular New York City block and you'll see why a BFP is practically mandatory.

2. I didn't get to sample everything but I was disappointed by Mitchell's (a bit too fatty to my liking though the crackling made up for it); Dinosaur's baked beans are amazing and the pork sandwich was no slouch either, and Elgin's.....O Elgin's, well let's just say that if I my evening was free I'd still be there.

Kudos especially to Mr. Meyer for making this brainchild come true.

Soba

Brisket and sausage: I found that everybody I spoke to liked both the sausage and brisket from Salt Lick better than the sausage and brisket from Elgin. I felt exactly the opposite. So I don't know what's going on there. I must be losing it.

possibly.. ate at Salt Lick yesterday and Southside Marker (Elgin) today.. we'd been hearing how great Elgin was, in fact all staff questioned indicated that it was the only thing they were recommending.. i was less than thrilled with it- while I didn't love the brisket at Salt Lick, Southside's brisket was overly smoked- in fact it seemed as if someone had poured liquid smoke into the shredded brisket we were served.. the sausage at Salt Lick blew away Southside's, the casing was crisp and the flavor exploded in my mouth while Southside's was fine but nothing special..

gallery_2_0_57924.jpg

John Stage, Owner/Pitmaster, Dinosaur BBQ

gallery_2_0_37984.jpg

Dinosaur Butt

gallery_2_0_34550.jpg

Pulled Dinosaur Sandwich

gallery_2_0_7312.jpg

Pulled Dino Sandwich Closeup

gallery_2_0_34332.jpg

The Dinosaur Pit.

gallery_2_0_10297.jpg

Inside the Dinosaur Pit, with some Butt and Elgin Sausage for the guys.

gallery_2_0_47410.jpg

Blue Smoke Ribs.

gallery_2_0_76973.jpg

Makin' Slaw.

gallery_2_0_78215.jpg

Tastin' Slaw.

gallery_2_0_36139.jpg

Pitmaster Michael Rodriguez, of Salt Lick BBQ

gallery_2_0_19301.jpg

Salt Lick "normal" portion.

gallery_2_0_42878.jpg

Tabla Steak Sandwich

gallery_2_0_47672.jpg

Tabla Chicken Tikka

gallery_2_0_87292.jpg

Steven Shaw, Executive Director, The eGullet Society

gallery_2_0_62409.jpg

Ron Leiber, of the Wall Street Journal

gallery_2_0_12199.jpg

Robert Pearson, founder of Pearson's BBQ

gallery_2_0_17081.jpg

Kenny Callaghan, Pitmaster of Blue Smoke

gallery_2_0_43979.jpg

John Stage, Pitmaster/Owner of Dinosaur BBQ

gallery_2_0_16988.jpg

Jeffrey Steingarten, Vogue Magazine

gallery_2_0_199.jpg

Peter Kaminsky, Author of Pig Perfect

gallery_2_0_5364.jpg

Howell Raines, former Exec Editor of the New York Times and author of the upcoming book "The One That Got Away"

gallery_2_0_72796.jpg

Frank Stewart, photographer of Smokestack Lightning

gallery_2_0_46495.jpg

Author/Writer Ed Levine

gallery_2_0_69132.jpg

The legendary Mike Mills

gallery_2_0_90598.jpg

This is what it looks like if you DON'T have a Bubba Pass.

gallery_2_0_98391.jpg

gallery_2_0_31240.jpg

Sitting in the park and having a "Normal" Dinosaur BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich

gallery_2_0_49853.jpg

The view from above

Great pictures, Jason!

Steven, I love that "Bacon is a Vegetable" shirt. :laugh:

I have to say, looking at those block-long lines, I'm glad I didn't show up this year.

Michael aka "Pan"

Had the chance to try several more things today - Mitchell's was still far and away my favorite, for taste, texture, sauce and crispy bits. The 17th Street ribs, though, were a VERY close second - they were everything ribs should be, the portion was HUGE, and their baked beans were the best, slightly spicy and using several kinds of beans. :wub:

Southside (Elgin) was disappointing - the sausage was lovely, but the brisket was nondescript and the beans, although they tasted smoky and good, were quite watery.

Big Bob's (? the one from Decatur, Alabama) pork shoulder was very tasty, but not as much so as Mitchell's whole hog, and I just REALLY prefer Eastern NC vinegar sauce to the red sweeter stuff. They were terrifically friendly, though. They had run out of beans by the time I got there and gave me a much-needed bottle of water instead.

An Arnold Palmer (hint: if it's too sweet, stir it up with your straw, that just means the lemonade hasn't been thoroughly mixed with the UNSWEETENED iced tea) from the Shake Shack cooled me off and rounded out my day of devouring nicely.

OH and I got to meet Jeffrey Steingarten. :cool: Celebrity whore that I am, I'm THRILLED that he's just as delightful as his books. Just wish I'd remembered to bring one of our eight thousand copies of them to be autographed.

K

P.S. I would never, never, ever try to do this without the Bubba Fast Pass. The lines were INSANE, especially in the heat/humidity. I got sunburned enough as it was!

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Southside/Elgin's sausage and brisket had much more flavor and fat than the Salt Lick's. I didn't find Elgin's baked beans "watery"; to me they were soupy like dahl, and the most savory. For ribs, Whole Hog's heavily smoked but still juicy ones beat 17th Street's. See the photo below of Whole Hog's mopping atop an already thick rub.

The Bubba card, which we were lucky to buy this morning, was vital. Our only significant line was for getting the card itself. Next year I'll order mine in advance. Though maybe it's good for next year . . . there's no date on it . . .

bbq1.jpg

Ed Mitchell

bbq2.jpg

Sarge Davis (Whole Hog)

Edited by jkarpf (log)

We arrive at the park nice and early got to watch some of the prep work around 11am

gallery_23695_426_418790.jpg

gallery_23695_426_362614.jpg

Got our place in Ed Mitchel's line around 11:45 we were 12th :biggrin: but had to stand there at look at those beautiful plates for 15 min...gallery_23695_426_284797.jpg

the line quickly left the "people snake" and formed down the street

gallery_23695_426_330385.jpg

We took our big piles of pork to a bench to enjoy ...shreaded whole hog, coleslaw, roll, cracklins and 2 nice RIBS

gallery_23695_426_358204.jpg

So who is this guy everyone seems to have a picture of him :laugh:

gallery_23695_426_190812.jpg

And for Mayhaw man and his offer to send some Bubbas to stock the Bubba tent ....this IS NYC we have everything

gallery_23695_426_360206.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Jkarpf, it looks like you were there with Josh Ozersky (Mr. Cutlets)

You a buddy of his?

By the way, welcome to the site!

BTW, here are some interesting tidbits about Smithfield, the pork and beef supplier to the event:

Pork-Toids: What It Takes to Feed the 3rd Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party (dBusinessNews)

also this document of "Porktoids"

Smithfield BABBP '05 Porktoids (Microsoft Word)

The 3rd Annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party's Meat List

• 5500 lbs of 2.5 & down skinned Smithfield St Louis spareribs

• 3500 lbs of 4 & down Smithfield spareribs

• 3850 lbs of 2 & down skinned Smithfield baby-back ribs

• 2600 lbs of Smithfield whole pork shoulder 18-19# each shank on

• 4000 lbs of Smithfield select beef brisket

• 2000 lbs Smithfield bone in pork butt

• 3800 lbs whole hogs 120-130 each or 30 pieces

• 30 cases Smithfield pig snoots

Southside (Elgin)...and the beans, although they tasted smoky and good, were quite watery.

I'm kinda curious about this. It's always interesting, when reading a review, to know what said reviewer's experience is.

So I'm wondering what you expected.

Are you familiar with southwestern/Mexican/Texas-style pinto/BBQ/cowboy/chile beans?

Because they are NOT gooey lumps of sweetness, like southern-style, or Boston baked beans (not that there's anything wrong with that; I like those, too).

They are always what you might call "watery" if you're not familiar with them. You NEVER serve them just scooped onto a plate. They're always served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon so you can slurp up that "smoky and good" flavorful broth.

They're more like what you might describe as 'bean soup,' I suppose, if you're not familiar with them. ARE you familiar with them. Is that what you were expecting?

Just so happens I've eaten at Southside Market many times, and I think their beans are quite good. They sure do serve a lot of them.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.