• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC back to Kentucky Fried Chicken

fifi

I ran into this tidbit on CNN today. I find it somehow satisfying that maybe someone "gets it" as in . . . don't try to be something you are not. Given the popularity of our recent Fried Chicken Cook-Off, why am I not surprised?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If they're returning to their roots, then why are they using Sweet Home Alabama as their theme song?

OK the story does say "Southern roots," not "Kentucky roots," so I guess it's close enough. :raz:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

i had a friend from australia get a white collar job at one of the competing fried chicken chains. she said as part of her training she had to learn the difference in taste between each and every fried chicken chain in america. she said all she has to do is smell the oil and she knows exactly which one it is......

but maybe there really aren't too many. i don't know. still, i'm glad i have never had to develop that particular skill.....

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

If they're returning to their roots, then why are they using Sweet Home Alabama as their theme song?

Perhaps Lisa Marie wouldn't let them use her dad's version of "Blue Moon of Kentucky"?

Just as well, as it would probably skew a bit older than the marketing team wants -- and I can't imagine that KFC wants us to think of Elvis (especially circa 1976) to sell fast food....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

i had a friend from australia get a white collar job at one of the competing fried chicken chains. she said as part of her training she had to learn the difference in taste between each and every fried chicken chain in america. she said all she has to do is smell the oil and she knows exactly which one it is......

but maybe there really aren't too many. i don't know. still, i'm glad i have never had to develop that particular skill.....

marlena

Gross!

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Quoting from the CNN article:

In addition to using the "Kentucky Fried Chicken" name, the new Louisville restaurant has a free digital jukebox, low-set tables with ottomans and features a younger, apron-clad image of the chain's founder, Colonel Sanders.

The menu also has been completely revamped to include bowls of chicken and mashed potatoes or chicken and rice, sausage bowls, collard greens, buttermilk popcorn shrimp and sweet potato pie -- items not usually associated with fast food.

This makes it sound like the new Kentucky Fried joint is also aimed at chasing the recent trend in so-called "fast casual" dining, something like Jack-in-the-Box is trying to do with their new JBX Grill restaurants.

As to their picking "Sweet Home Alabama" -- I bet that was based not only on how that song instantly says "The South" to lots of people, but also on its continued heavy-duty popularity. It's in regular rotation in Fearless Housemate's band's repertoire; whenever they play it, the dance floor immediately turns into a traffic jam. (Heh--and it also shuts up the inevitable idjit in the back yelling for "Freebiiiiiird!" :laugh: )

As to their picking "Sweet Home Alabama" -- I bet that was based not only on how that song instantly says "The South" to lots of people, but also on its continued heavy-duty popularity. It's in regular rotation in Fearless Housemate's band's repertoire; whenever they play it, the dance floor immediately turns into a traffic jam. (Heh--and it also shuts up the inevitable idjit in the back yelling for "Freebiiiiiird!" :laugh: )

I don't know about that.... "Free Bird" might just work...

[cut to young kids flying down the interstate in a covertible with soundtrack]

"And this bird you cannot change...."

[cut to steaming fried chicken pieces with voiceover]

"Now at KFC, the Free Bird Meal Deal! Buy one classic KFC bucket and get a two pieces absolutely free! (Limitedtimeofferforparticipatingrestaurantsonlysomerestrictionsapply.)"

[cut to young kids smiling, flailing drumsticks, and singing along]

"Won't you flyyyy hiiiiigh freeeeee bird, yeah!"

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

"Now at KFC, the Free Bird Meal Deal! Buy one classic KFC bucket and get a two pieces absolutely free! (Limitedtimeofferforparticipatingrestaurantsonlysomerestrictionsapply.)"

Urk. You just scared me. Because I hate that song with a strange and irrational passion (probably because of too many "Freeebiiiiird"-yellin' idjits at shows) ... but you're right, it really would work in a commercial, and now I'm dreading the thought of being barraged by it on all the airwaves. :shock::laugh:

If they had any brains besides contrivance it wouldn't take much to bring back the old and original "KFC" that Saunders developed when he was working at the "Twin Tepee's" Restaurant on Seattle's Aurora Avenue where he developed and formalized his recipe.

During the years that "KFC" evolved into America's most prominent Fried Chicken Chain they made it their most important business to be sure of receiving only fresh unadulterated fryers of consistent size, weight, age and quality. There was no chicken enhanced with Phosphates or any flavoring permitted.

All Chickens were pressure fried, after being processed and breaded to a standard internal temperature, not being pre-cut before delivery to every store.

This Chicken when finished was juicy natural tasting and even more delicious served cold with out any salty or chemical finish which is what I attributed to it's success.

Ever since they have utilized enhanced flavored treated poultry they have not been very successful implementing changes. A perfect example of this incompetence and short sightedness was when they attempted to introduce "Roasted Whole Chickens" it was a failure because the Chickens tasted "Fowl", even though they looked good, they didn't taste good. To salty, bland tasting without any noticeable Chicken Character.

Something similar to what we have come to expect from Chains like "Arby's" where at blind tastings no one can taste the difference between "Roast Beef", "Ham" or "Turkey" when its been sliced and served on a Bun, the same applies to many Sliced Sandwich meats at Sub Shops, Sandwich Shops and Supermarket Deli Sections. It's like Hospital or Airline [formally] Food has become everyone's food for those that don't care.

When we consulted with KFC when it was introduced to Japan, Hong Kong and Asia the most important concern was about making sure that the Poultry would always be up to expectations of quality since everything else was controllable such as Frying Oils, Breading, Beverages and Side Dishes but the success depended on the Birds. WE made sure that "Chicks" were sent in from East Coast by air-freight directly to Producers regularly to maintain the availability of Chickens that were raised and fed the same formulas as the Domestic Chickens for consistency.

So I may be wrong but I bet that a 1960's Chicken would be less expensive, better tasting and more acceptable to the public.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I rather like KFC or Kentucky Fried Chicken, or whatever you want to call it. I was rather annoyed though when they did away with extra crispy (at least here they did) and I was even more annoyed when they messed with their fries. I used to love their fries.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm glad they're returning to the "original" mashed potatoes......I heard a History Channel special where the Colonel was quoted as saying that the new stuff tasted like wallpaper paste! :raz:

Can anyone confim the legend I've heard that the real reason behind the change to the "KFC" moniker was that their fryers were so genetically modified, the FDA refused to allow their product to be called 'chicken"?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Can anyone confim the legend I've heard that the real reason behind the change to the "KFC" moniker was that their fryers were so genetically modified, the FDA refused to allow their product to be called 'chicken"?

Snopes.com debunks that urban legend here.

That is so outlandish that it can't be true. Surely they would be out of business by now if the FDA made that decision, and it was made public.

The way I remember the introduction of 'KFC', was that the corporation that bought out Col. Sanders was not allowed to use his name or image for a number of years after his death. He lived a long time after his sell-out, but when he finally passed on, the company had to stop using any reference to him. They went to KFC for a set number of years, and now that the time has passed, they are re-introducing his image in the outlets.

Another thing I don't see anymore is the fried chicken livers. :sad: In the early sixties, my best friend and I would ride our bicycles about two miles to the nearest Kentucky Fried Chicken every Thursday all summer long. We would get a bucket of livers to go, peddle them home, and we would all pig out. They only had livers on Thursdays.

The biography of the Colonel that I saw recently on The Biography Channel said that he lost control over his image when he sold out and regretted it. It was some time before he would agree to do promotions for them again.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm glad they're returning to the "original" mashed potatoes......I heard a History Channel special where the Colonel was quoted as saying that the new stuff tasted like wallpaper paste!  :raz:

Fried was a bad word in the late '70s to mid '80s.

Living hard will take its toll...

I'm still digging on this imagery! :laugh: I think there's something here.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Another thing I don't see anymore is the fried chicken livers. :sad: 

Popeye's still has them, at least at the Copeland owned franchises in New Orleans. They're a bargain, too.

They used to GIVE them away for like a dollar a quart. We used to get them for crab and crawfish bait. They were cheaper and easier to get than fish parts.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

marlena

AFAIK, there is only one major fried chicken chain with a presence in all 50 states, and that's KFC/Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Two others, Popeye's and Church's, have stores across much, if not most, of the country. (Popeye's original recipe [hot and spicy] fried chicken is IMO one of those rare fast-food items that you probably can't make better at home. Edited to add some interesting and perhaps relevant corporate nomenclature trivia: The company that owns and franchises Popeye's is called America's Favorite Chicken Enterprises.)

Most of the other fried chicken chains (I don't count Chick-Fil-A among them) have strong regional presences, but not national ones.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

As long as they keep the chicken pot pie on the menu-they can do whatever they want. The chicken pot pie is fantastic!

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Smart, though, to play up those southern roots. That's synonymous with good cooking.

I mean, when was the last time you heard anybody bragging about "Northern Fried" anything?

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Smart, though, to play up those southern roots.  That's synonymous with good cooking. 

I mean, when was the last time you heard anybody bragging about "Northern Fried" anything?

:biggrin:

Oddly enough, when I was in London, I saw several places advertising 'NY Style Fried Chicken'. Seemed really out of place to me.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I mean, when was the last time you heard anybody bragging about "Northern Fried" anything? :biggrin:
Oddly enough, when I was in London, I saw several places advertising 'NY Style Fried Chicken'. Seemed really out of place to me.

That DOES seem odd. Any clue what constitutes "NY Style Fried Chicken"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I mean, when was the last time you heard anybody bragging about "Northern Fried" anything? :biggrin:

That DOES seem odd. Any clue what constitutes "NY Style Fried Chicken"?

Wouldn't read too much into that.

We don't really appreciate U.S regional differences to well here - it's all America, and N.Y is at least somewhere everyone has heard of.

I love animals.

They are delicious.