• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC back to Kentucky Fried Chicken

fifi

Apparently sales are down for KFC. Funny how McDonald's can be doing so well in this economy and KFC isn't.

In a side note, KFC is debuting a new grilled chicken and are offering a free piece of grilled chicken at participating locations on April 27th.

Here's the announce ment on their website:

UnthinkKFC

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am intensely suspicious about their grilled chicken, but I'll try anything once. I think those Famous Bowls from a few years back perhaps turned the national stomach.

KFC did seem to be doing a rockin' business in India when I was there. I am rather surprised by this news.

I am intensely suspicious about their grilled chicken, but I'll try anything once. I think those Famous Bowls from a few years back perhaps turned the national stomach.

KFC did seem to be doing a rockin' business in India when I was there. I am rather surprised by this news.

KFC's past non-fried chicken offerings weren't much of a success (rotisserie chicken, anyone?). However, from the articles I've been reading on this new effort, KFC seems to be a little more serious this time in that the grilled chicken is made using special ovens (and the ubiquitous guarded "secret recipe") and these ovens are being installed on-site throughout the chain.

So they seem to be putting their money where their mouths are, so to speak, with this version of grilled chicken than they had with any past offering of non-fried chicken.

It will be interesting to see how this new chicken flies... :wink:

I also wonder if they can tailor the new grilled chicken spices to fit in better depending upon the country it's in. For example, adding lemongrass and ginger in asian countries, adding cumin and cilantro in latin countries and so on.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Oprah gave away to her viewers (via KFC) an online coupon for a free 2 piece Grilled Chicken combo with two sides and a biscuit.

KFC actually ran out of Grilled chicken at some of their restaurants, thanks to what is now known as "the Oprah Effect". The new KFC Grilled chicken seems to be a hit:

KFC offers rain checks on coupon

A free grilled-chicken meal promotion touted by the popular talk show host has caused such a frenzy that a few stores ran out and the Louisville-based chain is asking customers to take a rain check for the deal.

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

This was just posted to me, and there is a question of credibility of the source, but if true

KFC's Double Down may mark the highlight of mankind's evolution.

Think of it. A bacon sandwich with Swiss and Pepper Jack cheese and the Colonel's sauce, packed between two slabs of deep fried chicken in lieu of bread.

I'm salivating just writing this.

Now, this may very well be an internet hoax (hence we post it on Food On The Internet), but, as Prasantrin has pointed out, KFC does have their moments of brilliance (although those are generally in Asia), so this could actually be true.

Thanks to ean.craigie for this! He's the one that found it. A man after my own congested arteries.

Interesting but kinda hard to imagine as legit. I can see it now...

"My Double Down is too cold!"

"Sorry, here's another one."

"It's hot! I burned my fingers! I'm gonna sue!"

"Dammit. Didn't we learn anything from the McCoffee Incident?"

...and not only would it happen but, most likely, someone would go into a KFC with every intention of making sure it happened.

"It's supposed to be a sandwich! I didn't know I'd get burnt holding it in my hands. Gimme money!"

Still, Kentucky Fried Cordon Bleu sounds a lot better than those nasty looking bowl things they came up with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It could be a test product.

I bet Paula Deen is kicking herself for not inventing this.  :raz:

I bet there's a whole bunch of state fair food concessionaires who are also kicking themselves ... and then picking themselves up and trying to figure out how to put it on a stick. :laugh:

This has got to be a joke:

"KFC tests new sandwich with 'bun' of fried chicken"

KFC is selling a sandwich that uses two fried chicken filets instead of a bun.

Between the finger-lickin' pieces of chicken are two slices of bacon, melted slices of swiss and pepper jack cheese and a dollop of "the Colonel's sauce."

OMG. :shock:

Did Paula Deen help them develop this? :laugh:

Tim Oliver

This has got to be a joke:

"KFC tests new sandwich with 'bun' of fried chicken"

KFC is selling a sandwich that uses two fried chicken filets instead of a bun.

Between the finger-lickin' pieces of chicken are two slices of bacon, melted slices of swiss and pepper jack cheese and a dollop of "the Colonel's sauce."

OMG. :shock:

Did Paula Deen help them develop this? :laugh:

Actually, if it is original recipe fried chicken filets - and had a big fat biscuit on the side with honey - I might do this once a year. In fact, a dollop of honey instead of "the Colonel's sauce" might be in order.

Will they still give you a honey package at Kentucky Fried? I haven't been in ages.

• 7 months later...

You have to read the taste test over at the AV Club...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/kfcs-double-down-sandwich,32804/

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 3 weeks later...

I went into KFC today to pick up some cole slaw to satisfy a major craving and saw the big photo of the Double Down- no room for a bun. I asked the counter guy if anyone was really buying it. He shook his head and said "YES!". He was shocked that it was a big hit. He is selling maybe 200/day on his shift and often has one person solely working on turning them out. He lowered his voice and said "I shouldn't say this, but you know it has a lot of calories. I only tried it once". On line I see it at 540 calories which is not over the top in "fast food land" but half I think are from fat.

I went into KFC today to pick up some cole slaw to satisfy a major craving and saw the big photo of the Double Down- no room for a bun. I asked the counter guy if anyone was really buying it. He shook his head and said "YES!". He was shocked that it was a big hit. He is selling maybe 200/day on his shift and often has one person solely working on turning them out. He lowered his voice and said "I shouldn't say this, but you know it has a lot of calories. I only tried it once". On line I see it at 540 calories which is not over the top in "fast food land" but half I think are from fat.

I was also surprised that it wasn't a calorie bomb. Go figure. Maybe it's low because there's no bread/bun and no mayo/condiment.

[Homer] Bacon and cheese surrounded by fried chicken? What's not to love!? [/HOMER] :laugh:

For those of you who haven't tried it but are meaning to, it's not a regular menu item. It's a specialty item and I read somewhere that KFC will stop selling them towards the end of May.

Given their success, I wonder if it will become a regular menu item.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Given their success, I wonder if it will become a regular menu item.

Quoting this question from my previous post, KFC has an answer:

KFC’s Double Down bet pays off

KFC says Americans are gobbling down so many Double Down sandwiches that the fast-food chain will offer the bunless, meaty sandwich longer than it had planned.
KFC said it has been one of its most successful sandwich launches ever. Later this month, KFC expects to sell its 10 millionth Double Down. They cost about $5.

So it looks like the Double Down will be around for quite a bit longer. Or at least until the novelty wears off.

Tim Oliver

My son had one recently and was profoundly disappointed. He thought the cheese/bacon combo did not work in terms of chewy bacon and melty cheese, and most importantly he said the actual product was WAY smaller than he expected based on the advertisement photo.