• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Bangalore

Tweaked

Hello all, I'll be visiting Bangalore for 2 weeks end of June beginning of July. First time in india and I have no idea what to expect...so of course I come to the wise people on eG!

My initial readings tell me that there is a large pub culture in Bangalore...what else should I be on the look out for? Open for anything, low brow, high brow, street fare...what are prices like? how far will the US dollar go?

I'll take as much info as you have to offer :biggrin:

Thanks

My wife is Indian so we end up spending a lot of time in India. Never been to Bangalore, but heard great things about it. As far as food goes, a couple general suggestions.

Don't eat off the street as a rule. If you're feeling adventerous, try something from a street vendor, but absolutely no meat. I can nearly guarentee you will get sick. As for hotels (where the majority of resturants reside), trust your instincts. If it looks a little shaky, don't order meat. If the food is cold, don't eat it. But nice hotels/resturants will be safe, and even the meat will be fine.

The bottom line is...don't worry too much, enjoy the wonderful food. But be smart, drink bottled water, don't eat cold food (that also applies to ice cream), and you'll love it! Feel free to ask more...

what food markets are there in bangalore? I'd love to explore cool markets

Russell Market is one of the nicest produce markets to browse in.

You must do one meal at Koshy's, a large old Bangalore restaurant that is the city's unofficial crossroads. Everyone comes to Koshy's, its one of the few really open places in the country, and the food is good too. Try the Kerala fish curry or just ask Oomen, the owner, what's good that day.

But your best bet is really just trusting yourself in Episure's hands. I've been cheap restaurant crawling with him in Bombay and its a food experience like no other. I still regret his decision to leave for Bangalore.

Vikram

Hello all, I'll be visiting Bangalore for 2 weeks end of June beginning of July.  First time in india and I have no idea what to expect...so of course I come to the wise people on eG!

My initial readings tell me that there is a large pub culture in Bangalore...what else should I be on the look out for?  Open for anything, low brow, high brow, street fare...what are prices like? how far will the US dollar go? 

I'll take as much info as you have to offer  :biggrin:

Thanks

Russell market is indeed a great place to browse around. I'm surpised no one has mentioned Mavalli Tiffin Room which is a bangalore insitution and whose packaged products now sustain many expat indians in the US