• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thomas Moran's Petite Syrah

wkl

I'm travelling to New Hartford, CT this w/e and will be having dinner at Thomas Moran's Petite Syrah in, I believe, New Preston. I'm charged with bringing the wine and know nothing about this place.

Has anyone been here? Any info on the style of food? There isn't a website, that I could find, and a forum search didn't turn up anything.

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

I did a few searches and the only thing I could possibly find was this:

PreviewCT: Playing with Food

While Moran is still influenced by French cuisine and his classical training at the Culinary Institute of America, he isn't afraid to take some chances and update the classics. So his menu -- which changes daily -- includes culinary warhorses, but with a twist. A recent menu, for instance, featured barbecued eels with chive scallion sauce, and a pumpkin and sweet potato bisque garnished with pumpkin seeds and crème fraiche to start. Entrees included a prime beef tenderloin with roasted potato cake, onion rings and red wine sauce. Call it new American continental -- if you must call it anything, which Moran would just as soon you don't.

It seems like the kind-of small town place that you could even call and get advice on what kind-of wine to bring.

Let us know how it is.

Edited by ErinB (log)

Had a wonderful dinner here Saturday night! I can highly recommend this place.The food is well prepared and the service is excellent.

There were four of us and we started with a dozen oysters, green salad, and soft shell crab for app's.We followed this with another order of oysters ( i believe they were from Fanny Bay in New Zealand) and four orders of steamed mussels, all delicious.

For entrees we had roasted sturgeon, slow roasted duck, and pork loin. The sturgeon was fantastic! I had never had sturgeon before and it was a memorable dish.Oven roasted with a bernaise sauce that the chef punched up with some citrus. We also had side orders of garlicy ramps.

For dessert we had the cheese plate.

Everything was excellent and most ingredients, I believe, were local.The

chef was engaging when he came out to intoduce himself and answered all our questions about preparations, etc. Total bill for four about $200 (no wine or bottled water)

Can't speak to the wine list because we brought our own.We cleared that first so I don't know if they regularly allow that.

All in all I highly recommend Thomas Morans.