• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joconde Cakelets

Wendy DeBord

I do my cigarette paste on silpats, then top with joconde. I find that parchment paper really gives you a wrinkled surface. After I bake them I find it best to leave them as is, not to de-pan until I use them. I do cover them with plastic wrap so they don't dry out and loose any of their flexiblity.

Then when I go to use them I invert on the plastic saran. For some reason the joconde doesn't stick to the saran, but it does stick badly to parchment paper. I gently peel off my silpats.

From there, I cut my strips going thru the plastic wrap. I pick up my jonconde by holding the saran and flip it over so my pattern side is up, then place my pan sprayed acetate strips dirrectly on the joconde and I can pick it up and move it around with-out any problems. Acetate is on one side and the plastic wrap is on the other side.

If I'm doing a cake, I set it in my pan, then pull off the saran wrap. Then if I need more joconde to finish the circumference of my pan I pick up another strip of joconde by the saran and I can place it into my cake with-out any problems. With the acetate on one side and the plastic wrap on the other you can do a fair amount of fussing with-out doing any harm to the cake.

Thanks Mel. I doubt you had a chance to check it out, but I posted photos of some of my finished petite four joconde cakelets in my blog......if you want to see the finished product.

• 3 months later...

Theres many ways to make the patterns. The material that makes the pattern is called cigarette paste. It's spread or piped onto your silpat very thinnly, you freeze it to set the shape, then while it's frozen you put your joconde cake batter over the top of your pattern, then bake to set.

Actually getting the pattern in or with the cigarette paste: I piped it on in the swirled example (in the photograph), I used a rubber cake comb to make the striped pattern (in the photo, it's the orangeish colored cake), and I used a stencil to block out the pattern in the green and yellow cake (it didn't show up well, I used poor color choice on that). There's more ways.............if you want to know more?

Theres many ways to make the patterns. The material that makes the pattern is called cigarette paste. It's spread or piped onto your silpat very thinnly, you freeze it to set the shape, then while it's frozen you put your joconde cake batter over the top of your pattern, then bake to set.

Actually getting the pattern in or with the cigarette paste: I piped it on in the swirled example (in the photograph), I used a rubber cake comb to make the striped pattern (in the photo, it's the orangeish colored cake), and I used a stencil to block out the pattern in the green and yellow cake (it didn't show up well, I used poor color choice on that). There's more ways.............if you want to know more?

Aha! I can imagine there are lots of ways to create patterns. So the obvious next question, of course, is -- what is cigarette paste? If it's pipeable, I assume it's fairly soft?

(And yes, I always want to know more -- but I'll try not to be too greedy! :laugh: )

Edited by RuthWells (log)

Somehow I missed this thread before, in the Spring when you all were posting. But now that I have read it through twice, I have a few questions. I couldn't get the pcb website to load, so not sure if that would make the difference in my understanding...

Basically, you are making a patterned joconde, that is say, 23 x 4 inches, laying it on an acetate sheet the same size (or 1/2 inch wider), rolling it up and sticking it in a tube, yes? So actually, when you are done, you have TWO thicknesses of plastic around your cake, right? you don't pull out the acetate sheet as you are forcing the cake into the tube, are you?

then, to fill... if it's 23 inches long, how on earth do you pipe in a mousse? does it really move that far along? or do you fill from both ends? Or do you want a more "pourable" mousse?

after chilling to set, then just how do you get the thing out? do you push from one end.. like a wonder-cup? or I guess if there's still 2 pieces of plastic, the tube slips off the acetate sheet... then what? you cut through it, acetate and all? or peel off and cut at the same time? that seems kind of awkward/troublesome...

I am sorry for being so dense. very tired tonight, but am so interested in this, i wanted to understand asap. thanks for understanding.

oh yes, one more q -- you metioned other shapes... does the website have them?

how much did the kit cost wendy, including shipping?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I'm tired, but wanted to respond this evening. Sure, I'll put together a demo on this. I'm assuming the part about how you make the patterns with the cigarette paste and put the cake/joconde over it, is what your interested in? .........I sort of thought this thread took it from there. But maybe I've not been clear enough?

Simdelish:

(first set of questions) Yes. You have the actetate around the cake then that's placed into the plastic tube to hold it rigid. You don't remove the actetate until the whole thing is filled and totally set, done ready to slice and decorate.

You do have to choose your mousse recipe wisely. I'll really make sure not to whip my cream stiff and I'll pour it into the cake line tube the minute I've finished mixing up the mousse or bavarian...........so it's at it's most liquid state.

It pushes out very easily. The acetate prevents the cake from sticking to the inside of the tube if there was any leakage. Once the cake is out of the tube I peel off the actetate. I can place it back into the freezer (remember it's frozen so it's not at all fragile) or cut the cakelets right away.

Your cutting a firm cylinder of cake and mousse. Nothing hard about it. Like portioning out dough. You can use a ruler measuring out your cuts, if you want to be very exact.

Last I looked they only had the round tubes. BUT technically, you can take this concept and put your joconde lined acetate into any shaped tube you can find. Easiest being an oval, it would involve more cutting to make a square, but it's do-able.

I can't recall what it cost at this moment..........I think around 100.00 for the kit. I wrote it earilier in this thread or in my blog.

I'm assuming the part about how you make the patterns with the cigarette paste and put the cake/joconde over it, is what your interested in? .........I sort of thought this thread took it from there. But maybe I've not been clear enough?

Thanks for considering this idea. Some of the demos have close-up, very specific info. and seeing the step by step process of working with cigarette paste, making patterns via various techniques and covering with joconde is what I am curious about. I have worked with many types of pastry and this is something I have not yet worked on, so I am very interested. I hope I wasn't being too forward in suggesting this.

I hope I wasn't being too forward in suggesting this.

No, not at all. I'm happy to get feed back from members about what they would like to see demo's on. You can always send me a private pm if anyone has suggestions.

If there's ever something you/our members would like to demo..........you don't have to wait for me to formally ask you to do a demo. Please feel free to step forward (drop me a pm), I'm always looking for people willing to do demo's.

I am very excited about this demo, because when I asked a cooking school here if they would consider offerering a jaconde course, she said that it isn't that difficult and why would anyone, other than professionals, want to learn how to make it.

Thanks Wendy.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I'm also very interested to see this. I love to bake, but have a wardrobe I need to continue to fit into. Therefore, things that can be made into finger food and brought into work are perfect for me, and I always like to do things that have an added "oooh" factor.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2