• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Sushi-Grade Fish: Etobicoke/Toronto :)

hi :)

I'm looking for sushi grade salmon, tuna belly and red snapper. I know this has probably been posted before, but I'm a highschool student and am clueless about wholesale ordering and the like. I was more wondering if there's anywhere in Etobicoke I could obtain it (probably not, i know, but worth a shot!!) or somewhere in downtown Toronto where I could find it easily and where the staff would be kind to a highschool kid who's interested in doing their own sashimi :)

Any help is appreciated! :)! :biggrin:

Hi happytechnogirl & welcome!

For downtown, St. Lawrence market would be a good place to go. I usually wait untill 2-3pm on Saturdays because the fish there starts going on sale, and they're still fresh! I've had no problems eating it raw on the same day. I don't recall seeing tuna belly though.

I'm sure someone else will have better suggestions too...

Hi happytechnogirl & welcome!

For downtown, St. Lawrence market would be a good place to go. I usually wait untill 2-3pm on Saturdays because the fish there starts going on sale, and they're still fresh! I've had no problems eating it raw on the same day. I don't recall seeing tuna belly though.

I'm sure someone else will have better suggestions too...

Taro's fish on Steeles/404 in the J-Town mall center.

Got toro, and all other sorts of sushi grade fish. Very good. Very very good.

Maybe the best in Toronto (though not the cheapest...)

Cheers

Mike

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I have been buying "sushi" grade fish at SLM for 10 years. Tuna only at first but now Salmon, Talapia, Fluke (Lemon Sole), and Red Snapper. My preferred place is Domenic's as we've developed a great relationship. She won't sell me anything that she wouldn't eat herself. Tuna belly is a little harder to find there, they may be some left on the fish when they get it but it's not the heart of the loin.

As for buying later on Saturday when it's on sale - not recommended as far as i'm concerned. For Tuna belly, I have to go with Taro's.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)