• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The proliferation of the Fauxtini

kvltrede

I fear this guy has never had a proper martini:

2 parts gin (Hendrick's, perhaps)

1 - 2 parts dry vermouth (I prefer made in the U.S.A. Vya)

a dash of orange bitters

lemon twist

shaken, not stirred</blockquote>

THERE we go. Thank you, thank you.

That is a classic martini at least by the history I've read. Not too dry, hints of citrus flavor -- even a drop of Grand Marnier or other orange presence will do in a pinch, scientific tests have shown -- and of course lemon peel. (Pickled vegetables of whatever kind appeared way later -- 1925? -- surely the true start of the variations and corruptions now branded "Fauxtini.")

I hope that y'all who opine on the history have read, or at least will read, Conrad's Book, published 1995 at or before the beginning of the martini revival. Which is not that old -- the drink was well out of style for a while, underscored in a 1990 novel, which I mentioned in the amazon.com comments under the link.

Paraphrasing Hugh Johnson and Bob Thompson in the closing line of The California Wine Book (New York: William Morrow, 1976; ISBN 0688030874)"

"I do not believe I ever have heard anyone speak of a vodka martini."

Prosit -- Max

I fear this guy has never had a proper martini:

2 parts gin (Hendrick's, perhaps)

1 - 2 parts dry vermouth (I prefer made in the U.S.A. Vya)

a dash of orange bitters

lemon twist

shaken, not stirred

THERE we go. Thank you, thank you.

That is a classic martini at least by the history I've read. . .

Well, to pick a nit, I love the formula (2:1 or 1:1 with a dash of orange bitters), but I always stir my martini as I don't like it to be cloudy. Besides, I am given to understand that, if you use cracked ice, the drink actually comes out colder if you stir rather than shake.

--

If I drink a sidecar out of a martini glass does that make it a sidecartini?

That makes it a Sidecar. Properly drunk out of a sidecar attached to a high powered motorcycle.

:laugh::laugh:

Actually, to be historically correct, the sidecar should be attached to a 1912 Triumph. :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

...That is a classic martini at least by the history I've read. . .

Well, to pick a nit, I love the formula (2:1 or 1:1 with a dash of orange bitters), but I always stir my martini as I don't like it to be cloudy. Besides, I am given to understand that, if you use cracked ice, the drink actually comes out colder if you stir rather than shake.

There's room for all kinds of variations, of course. :smile:

Cheers -- Max

--

(Check out today's Sunday New York Times, Section T (style magazine), Page 87 -- Surfing Foodies.)

Well, to pick a nit, I love the formula (2:1 or 1:1 with a dash of orange bitters), but I always stir my martini as I don't like it to be cloudy.  Besides, I am given to understand that, if you use cracked ice, the drink actually comes out colder if you stir rather than shake.

It's my understanding that the aeration of shaking a martini enhances the botanicals in the gin (and likely the vermouth, too.) Although I must admit I've never done a side-by-side comparison. Therefore, I will conduct the experiment this weekend, and report back. If anyone else tries, please share your experiences!

Edited by Rob Simmon (log)

It's my understanding that the aeration of shaking a martini enhances the botanicals in the gin (and likely the vermouth, too.)...

This sort of gets into that whole "bruising" of the drink myth. I've done many side-by-side comparisons, and when all things are equal there is very, very, little difference in taste between the two that I can detect. So I personally don't think that there is any botanical enhacement going on when you shake a Martini, or if there is, it isn't much.

The only excuse I've heard yet that comes close to justifying shaking a Martini or Manhattan, is "but I like the little ice crystals on the top of the drink".

For me, it is all about presentation. A shaken Martini will be cloudy, especially when you use the proper amount of vermouth. While stirred, it will be crystal clearA shaken Manhattan will have a foamy head on it, which I personally find disgusting.

I expect we have James Bond to blame for this whole "shaken not stirred" situation. I always tell people:

"You shouldn't treat women like James Bond does. You shouldn't drive like James Bond does. You should't find it easy to kill people like James Bond does... so why should you follow his guidance on drinking?"

I'd be happy if they'd just put my sweet martini (Three parts gin, one part red vermouth, and a cherry, please) in a cocktail glass, without asking if I want it on the rocks.  :shock:

Likewise, I would be happy if the cocktail bars around where I live wouldn't commit Martini sins by mixing pleasant gin with rotgut vermouth.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

All of this reminds me of a thread I started a year or so ago. A dear friend gave me a xeroxed copy of Bernard De Voto's little essay called "The Hour" about thirty years ago. It notes, among other guideance, that the martini is never consumed in rusticity but only in sophisticated surroundings.

I've lost my copy and would give anything for another.

I expect we have James Bond to blame for this whole "shaken not stirred" situation. I always tell people ..."

It's a good point, and please note that it's largely the James Bond of the movie adaptations associated with the shaking-not-stirring. In the original 1953 novel, the character orders a fussy personal Martini (made with Gordons and vodka in 3:1 mixture, and Kina Lillet) and later names it the Vesper. Otherwise he mainly consumes vodka neat (maybe with some black pepper to carry the fusel oil out of solution, he says), various Bourbons, and Taittinger Champagne, again in the books. The film character is more generic and less human.

I'd be happy if they'd just put my sweet martini (Three parts gin, one part red vermouth, and a cherry, please) in a cocktail glass, without asking if I want it on the rocks.  :shock:

Likewise, I would be happy if the cocktail bars around where I live wouldn't commit Martini sins by mixing pleasant gin with rotgut vermouth.

If I found a bar, *any* bar in this area that carried Vya or Carpano vermouth, it would be my bar of choice. Sadly, around here, you're lucky to find a bar that carries Rose's instead of Finest Call so you can settle for a decent Gimlet, nevermind fresh juices or good vermouths.

All of this reminds me of a thread I started a year or so ago.  A dear friend gave me a xeroxed copy of Bernard De Voto's little essay called "The Hour" about thirty years ago.  It notes, among other guideance, that the martini is never consumed in rusticity but only in sophisticated surroundings. 

I've lost my copy and would give anything for another.

You can get it at Amazon: "The Hour".

Huh, I just realized I'm drinking a Cosmo (hey, "Sex and the City" is on!) while posting this link. Whoa!

Just think of how even more satisfying that ice-cold, gin martini would be after a fast, fun-filled, reckless stint on the road...

It actually might be Mr. Bonds passenger who is going to need that ice-cold martini to settle their nerves! :-> Make that two please...

• 1 month later...
It's my understanding that the aeration of shaking a martini enhances the botanicals in the gin (and likely the vermouth, too.) Although I must admit I've never done a side-by-side comparison. Therefore, I will conduct the experiment this weekend, and report back. If anyone else tries, please share your experiences!

I promised I'd post my experimental results, but have been procrastinating. We tasted two martinis, identical ingredients (2 oz. Gin, 1 oz. King Eider Dry Vermouth, lemon twist. Unfortunately, I forget my choice of gin—probably Plymouth) with different preparations—one shaken for 10 seconds, the other stirred for 30.

The Result: the stirred martini was warmer, otherwise they tasted the same. (Granted, the experimental conditions were inadequate, certainly not double blind.) The shaken martini was cloudy with ice chips, flaws not present in the stirred. Perhaps cracked ice would chill the drink faster than large, whole cubes?

Perhaps cracked ice would chill the drink faster than large, whole cubes?

Absolutely. Dave Wondrich's experiments indicated that stirring with cracked ice results in the coldest drink.

--

Perhaps cracked ice would chill the drink faster than large, whole cubes?

Absolutely. Dave Wondrich's experiments indicated that stirring with cracked ice results in the coldest drink.

Would you be surprised to learn that I gleaned the cracked ice info from <cite>Killer Cocktails</cite>?