• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Growing herbs in an NYC apartment

Resurrecting an old post because, though I think I told Kerry in a private conversation that the purchase of a freeze-drier would be my last 'large' gadget, I am not quite so sure I can hold myself to that promise now that I have found this (Canadian) product. http://www.urbancultivator.net/product-information/

I'm interested in this, so tried to click on the link.  Didn't work.  Is it just me?

Or are others having the same problem?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, it WAS working earlier. I am also getting an error right now. Perhaps there is a net glitch or their system is down right now. I will continue to check it and let you know if I see it come back up. Sorry about that.

First .. I am going to make a bit of a correction here about price - since I just found this http://www.eatlocallyblogglobally.com/2012/11/the-urban-cultivator-answer-to-home.html article which quotes someone who actually called the company (BC based) for a quote and was told $2200 (plus I gather $150 for a butcher block top) ... and was given quite high shipping costs to Toronto. Add tax to that and it would be steeper than I would like (although if I am desperate for herbs out here in the backwoods, it 'may' still make sense down the road for me - freeze-dried herbs?). Also that article reminded me of where I saw this invention - and it was on Dragon's Den.

Edited by Deryn (log)

Jaymes, it does look like their website is temporarily down - I was able to view it earlier today. 

Deryn, completely understand that many of the other systems are rather small and don't produce very much. I do wonder about the tray sizes and head room inside the Urban Cultivator, though. Here is one slightly critical review by someone who tried it. It's still going to require planting, thinning, and possibly transplanting. And that $800 shipping cost is high! And a final estimate of $3500 with all taxes. Ouch. 

I can see that a restaurant might make good use of the UC, though, for things like micro-greens and sprouts. I've been using the Easy Sprouter for sprouts for years and I adore it - so easy and I can grow a variety of sprouts in it. 

The rosemary plants I have here in BC produce pretty much year-round. Where do you live that you would need to grow them indoors? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Jaymes, it does look like their website is temporarily down - I was able to view it earlier today. 

Ah, thanks.  I'll just wait and try it again later.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you're handy (or you want to call these guys have them do it for you) you might consider making this hydroponic option:

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/blog/2010/11/03/urbanhydros-super-cropper/

I think the Urban Hydro Growers Union site is down - I haven't checked it in a while, but when I just did, the page was down.

In any case, if you've got basement space, you can grow a LOT of herbs, peppers, tomatoes - practically anything.

I can't understand complicating this.

My goodness....all you need is some standard  shop lights...a few pots...some growing medium and seeds.

Ugly? Put it in a closet or spare room.

I've grown stuff this way for many years.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Deryn, completely understand that many of the other systems are rather small and don't produce very much. I do wonder about the tray sizes and head room inside the Urban Cultivator, though. Here is one slightly critical review by someone who tried it. It's still going to require planting, thinning, and possibly transplanting. And that $800 shipping cost is high! And a final estimate of $3500 with all taxes. Ouch. 

I can see that a restaurant might make good use of the UC, though, for things like micro-greens and sprouts. I've been using the Easy Sprouter for sprouts for years and I adore it - so easy and I can grow a variety of sprouts in it. 

The rosemary plants I have here in BC produce pretty much year-round. Where do you live that you would need to grow them indoors? 

I am out at the very northeastern tip of Nova Scotia. Didn't try rosemary outside here last year but though this area usually doesn't get a lot of snow, we certainly did last winter. Had I had any, I suspect I would never have found it again. However, I had what were nearly rosemary trees in North Carolina till last year too - and when I went back to look at those in the spring, after about 8 years of continually supplying me with great rosemary (especially the old woody branches which were amazing for stringing chicken pieces, brochette style, on) .. all were dead from the cold, even there. Grew rosemary in Ontario for years too but that was iffy - really just depended on where you planted it and what the winter was like as to whether it survived.

I honestly would probably start with a rosemary plant even here (and not use the cultivator for that) .. was just trying to come up with an example of obviously differing plant needs that I want to know about to see if that can be addressed or if you can plant only plants with like humidity and temp requirements together. Probably didn't choose a perfect example. My main crop targets for the Cultivator would most likely be basil, chervil, flat leaf parsley, nasturtium, etc. ... the faster growing, softer herbs. Mint, thyme, rosemary I can do in pots. 

DiggingDogFarm .. you are, of course, correct. Have done that before too. But, as Kerry says .. she with the most toys when she dies, wins. I can't beat Kerry but I admit to a sad addiction to toys. I also seem to 'acquire' shop tools (traditionally thought of as boy toys) I will probably not use too often either. It IS a sickness .. and as such .. rarely responds to logic.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Smith & Hawken make a tabletop "greenhouse" that most people put on a shelf by a window.

Our local senior center has three of these  for folks who live in the assisted living facility next door and want to do a little "gardening" - mostly flowers but a few herbs - that they can't have in their rooms.

They have been set on shower pans (with the drain hole plugged) to keep any moisture off the flooring.  Each has one grow-light that is fastened to the outside of the top with Velcro - the heavyweight squares for outdoor use. 

One was full of pink and red carnations last Christmas and the lady who grew them gave every visitor one with a little card. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

I have thyme, chives, and sage that comes back in the patio wooden planters every year. The rosemary is almost always a casualty, Rosemary.thumb.jpg.3ab1a76d9cb45d08dd2d9 brought in or left out.

Last winter was the first time I was ever able to keep rosemary alive inside and it paid a price. I am trying it again this winter. The one on the left is the survivor and the one on the right I bought last spring. I was always afraid of over watering, but after they both survived a very wet fall, I think wetter is better than dryer.

30 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The rosemary is almost always a casualty,  brought in or left out.

Last winter was the first time I was ever able to keep rosemary alive inside and it paid a price. I am trying it again this winter. The one on the left is the survivor and the one on the right I bought last spring. I was always afraid of over watering, but after they both survived a very wet fall, I think wetter is better than dryer.

My impression re. rosemary and water is that wet soil from a lot of rain is not as detrimental as wet soil from over-watering a pot indoors. Perhaps because of increased air circulation outside and the possibility of sitting in water if your pot is in a saucer. 

• 7 months later...