• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wafuu spirits

JasonTrue

I have to say most of the hascap-flavored products I've tested haven't been that memorable, generally recalling "bubble gum flavor" more than any berry I know.

some one gave me some hasukappu-shu from hokkaido. tastes like a medicine cabinet. apparently it has a lot of vitamins? hasukappu is Blue-berried Honeysuckle. I can't recommend it.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried any of the "new" (to me) Japanese liqueurs like tomato and Suntory Milmix (strawberry, macha and black sesame)? Also, how is the yuzu liqueur?

http://www.suntory.co.jp/liqueur/milmix/product/index.html

I would mostly be using this for baking and not drinking. I recently picked up a lychee and green apple liqueur, but haven't cracked them open yet. Was also tempted to pick up an apricot liqueur.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 1 month later...

Last night, I had a drink which I think was called "ume nigori-shu". I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was incredibly delicious - kind of rich and jammy, but not too sweet. I thought it made the perfect nightcap, but I have no idea what the bottle looked like, so I could buy some at a liquor shop. Can anyone help me out?

Last night, I had a drink which I think was called "ume nigori-shu". I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was incredibly delicious - kind of rich and jammy, but not too sweet. I thought it made the perfect nightcap, but I have no idea what the bottle looked like, so I could buy some at a liquor shop. Can anyone help me out?

Maybe Ou bai nigori shu from Nara

It's sake based.

From here

鶯梅 にごり酒(奈良)

果実感たっぷりトロトロとしたなめらかな舌さわりが特徴です。新感覚梅酒。女性に人気商品です。

I can't find information about the brewery, so maybe it's only available at izakaya.

When I googled "nigori ume shu" (にごり梅酒), I got some hits such as

http://ma2ya.shop-pro.jp/?pid=1862052

It's imo jochu based.

Maybe Ou bai nigori shu from Nara

It's sake based.

From here

鶯梅 にごり酒(奈良)

果実感たっぷりトロトロとしたなめらかな舌さわりが特徴です。新感覚梅酒。女性に人気商品です。

I can't find information about the brewery, so maybe it's only available at izakaya.

When I googled "nigori ume shu" (にごり梅酒), I got some hits such as

http://ma2ya.shop-pro.jp/?pid=1862052

It's imo jochu based.

Thanks, Hiroyuki. The one above looks like the right colour, from looking at the bottle. It was so delicious, and I can't help but think it would be amazing in baking - drizzled on ice cream, or with crepes. I'll have a look around my local liquor shops, we have some really good ones in Ofuna.

Can you tell me how to say the kanji on this bottle? I can't read them. :sad: