• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand care

Catherine Iino

Sometimes I do a swimmer's trick for dry skin: When I've washed my hands and and while my hands are still wet, I put on the lotion. (Any cheap lotion will do.) This step seems to seal in moisture. Then I wipe off the excess lotion with a towel. I may have extra towels to launder, but my hands feel good.

I also stumbled upon this great product when a store sold me a half-used tester jar for a few dollars: Cucina Hand Butter (made with olive oil). Now I buy this cream online. It works better than any other hand lotion or cream I've tried. http://us.fruits-passion.com/order/item.aspx?idprod=429

• 3 weeks later...

If you've got about an hour on your hands and are going to be in a cool/cold place, (as I was when I was taking my children to ice-skating lessons last year), you can do an intensive moisturizing treatment.

You'll need plastic gloves. I used the baggie type ones.

You'll also need warm-weather gloves or mittens. (Don't use tight-fitting ones.)

Fold the top lip of each plastic glove outward to make it neater/easier to get them on.

Put on a generous amount of lotion or cream.

Carefully put on plastic gloves, you don't want to get lotion on the outside of the gloves where it will stain your good gloves or clothing.

Unfold the "lip" when the gloves are on. You shouldn't have lotion on the outside of the plastic gloves now.

Put on a pair of regular gloves or mittens over the plastic ones.

In the first 10 or 15 minutes, there's still a lot of unabsorbed lotion on your hands so don't try to grip anything. After about 30 or 40 minutes, it should all be absorbed. You can rub in or wash off any residue. I find that my hands feel very hydrated and silky after doing this.

I got this idea from going to a spa once where they did a similar thing with heated mittens. Sorry for all the in-depth detail. I was trying to be really clear because I don't want someone to get clothing stained from lotion and be annoyed at me!

jayne