• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Vancouver Island Topic

Starting another thread for Van. Island. Hoping this one can work for seeking out ingredients, whether fresh or frozen, canned or dried. Shopping can be a pain, especially in Victoria, where you have to go from one end of the city to the other for let's say, a special cheese, then some French gherkins, then organic meats and finally fresh fish.

Looking for something? Post it here.

I'll step up to the plate and request morel mushrooms. I need some. Desperately. I can't wait any longer. Who's got them and what are they charging? Not frozen, but fresh from the field.

Do you think it will be a good season for them?

Starting another thread for Van. Island. Hoping this one can work for seeking out ingredients, whether fresh or frozen, canned or dried. Shopping can be a pain, especially in Victoria, where you have to go from one end of the city to the other for let's say, a special cheese, then some French gherkins, then organic meats and finally fresh fish.

Looking for something? Post it here.

I'll step up to the plate and request morel mushrooms.  I need some. Desperately. I can't wait any longer. Who's got them and what are they charging? Not frozen, but fresh from the field.

Do you think it will be a good season for them?

I bought some fresh morels from the mushroom man at Granville Island on Friday last week and he said they were from Campbell River. He said they were having a great crop this year, but he was having a hard time selling them - not much interest.

I am not sure where you could find them on the island but the next time I am down there I will ask.

Cheers,

Eric

This thread piqued my interest - I have seen gooseneck barnacles popping up on a couple of menues and was wondering whose harvesting them? I know the fishery was closed for three to four years but opened up in 2004 (although this may have been a test fishery)

I'd like to add Blair Mart Mediterranean Middle Eastern Foods as a great source for all things Middle eastern They make wondeful gyro sandwiches made with fresh lamb-delicious and a real bargain!

The store is full of figs, cheeses, olive oils, breads...fantatstic selection and the owner is just the nicest guy. He is a trained doctor from Dubai and has woked for Doctors without Borders for years. He is unable to practice medicine here in Canada which is such a shame.

Blair Mart is located at 924 Pandora Avenue. Phone number 721-1626

I was just down Island and stopped in at Glenterra Vineyards. The winemaker John Kelly was telling me that he's trying to get organic certification for his vineyard and new vines are being planted as we speak. Had a chance to try his Vivace blend (15 varietals if I remember correctly) which I think that I'm going to use with a spot of cassis as a refreshing summer sipper. Had a chance to try his 2004 pinot gris from the barrel and can't wait to see how it comes to fruition in the bottle. If you haven't tried his meritage style Brio your missing the best red to be produced on the Island.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Paul, is Glenterra the one that you have mentioned before in Port Alberni?

I do not think that I have seen their wines during our Island visits. Expect that their production is fairly limited especially if they have elected to try to go the certified organic route.

Only 2 more months...who's counting? [smile]...and we'll be visiting "Tofino" at the Wick.

Do not think that we'll be able to get up to the resort this trip. Maybe in the Fall if you are still open. You had just closed last autumn.

Glenterra is in Cobble Hill on the road down to Shawnigan Lake. 3897 Cobble Hill Road. The one in Port Alberni is called Chase and Warren Estate Winery. I was actually through Port yesterday and saw their sign from the highway but alas I had a car filled with junk to put back into storage in Nanaimo for the summer. Moving $@&%@#%^! Plenty of time to drink wine soon.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Thrifty's Nanaimo yesterday and noticed they had bags of tiny Key limes.

I know they're not local but thought people might be interested.

Personally, my waistline doesn't need Key Lime Pie, but I'll bet they'd be good in Thai cooking. Or drinks? Daquiris?

Personally, my waistline doesn't need Key Lime Pie, but I'll bet they'd be good in Thai cooking. Or drinks? Daquiris?

They are so good in margaritas. Buy some and compare. And don't forget the 100% agave tequila.

They are so good in margaritas. Buy some and compare. And don't forget the 100% agave tequila.

I'll try that - now if the weather would just co-operate to put me in the mood for margaritas!

• 3 weeks later...

Look what I found at SunWing Farms today. This type of chayote squash with prickles is very rare in these parts. It is mostly found in Mexico, where it is indigenous.

I'm quite thrilled to find it. SunWing only has the one vine, so the fruits from it are rare indeed.

Some of you may recognize it without the prickles and with a very smooth skin, very often sold in Asian and Latino markets.

Tomorrow it will be peeled and stewed up - you can also eat the almond shaped seed inside, very tender and delicious.

PICT0044.JPG

Look what I found at SunWing Farms today. This type of chayote squash with prickles is very rare in these parts. It is mostly found in Mexico, where it is indigenous.

I've only seen the smooth-skinned variety. I've found them at Fisgard Market in Victoria. In the past, I have let one sit in a warm place - on top of the fridge (in the winter/early spring) - and it will generally send out a shoot. When the vine gets long enough, you can actually plant it in the garden (weather permitting). Try to time it for the growing season.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Yes, Seanw, it does look a bit prehistoric, but in this case it is prehispanic!

It has a very thin skin and just peels away like nothing, prickles and all. I don't know why Sunwing chose to grow this variety - its worth a question next time I'm out there. Could be just for interests sake, the same way I buy an unusual cheese I've never had before. I'm sure farmers seek to grow an unusual item for the same reasons - curiousity.

The chayote was damn good eatin' with very little seed, which is odd. I stewed along with some of their ripe tomatoes, onions and garlic, some hominy corn and big ol' chipotle en adobo for heat.

s

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Just got back from the south of France where I had chicken with

olives and preserved lemons.

I would like to find preserved lemons either in Victoria or Nanaimo. Any suggestions?

I have several recipes, but they all take several weeks to marinate the lemons, and I want to make the above dish next week.

It was delicious, as you probably can tell! :wink:

I would like to find preserved lemons either in Victoria or Nanaimo. Any suggestions?

Hi Brenda,

Welcome back.

The Persian/ Mediterranean food stores in Victoria carry preserved/dried limes and sometimes call them lemons.

I'm confused about what they are really. The ones I've seen at Seven Valleys and Blair Mart, are small and dry and brown. I've used them in Persian dishes, damn good.

I've had other versions though, in restaurants, where they are still lemon yellow after being preserved in salt. After rinsing numerous times, only the peel - removed of the pith - finely chopped was used.

Sometimes McLean's in Nanaimo will surprise with unusual ingredients. If he doesn't have them, he may know somebody who does.

Best of luck

S

Hi everyone

Just got back from the south of France where I had chicken with

olives and preserved lemons.

I  would like to find preserved lemons either in Victoria or Nanaimo. Any suggestions?

I have several recipes, but  they all take several weeks to marinate the lemons, and I want to make the above dish next week.

It was delicious, as you probably can tell! :wink:

It's not too late!

Take your lemons, slices into 1/4's or less, and pack them into a container with a tight fitting lid. In between your layers of lemons, sprinkle with coarse salt. Cover this mess with olive oil - you want it to solidify in the fridge. Every other day, turn the container over. In a few days you will have suitably preserved lemons. Don't just use the peel. The flesh is good in compound butter for fish, prawns, etc, and the lemon oil is surpisingly non-salty.

-- Matt.

• 3 months later...

I have just tried the new Nestvog (sp?) Meats here in Nanaimo. It's in Terminal Park beside the vacuum store.

It's a German style deli with a full butcher. They say their sausages, cured meats, and pates come from the Black Forest Deli in West Van. Has anyone in Vancouver gone there?

I bought the cranberry rum and country pates for a party last night. Both were a hit.

I'm trying the Italian sausage tonight. It looks nice and spicy.

Brenda,

Glad to hear you are keeping up with your diet of deli meats and sausages!

Have you been to The Queen's Table in Nanaimo yet? Can you tell us what is being offered there if you go?

Thanks,

s

Edited by shelora (log)

Brenda,

Glad to hear you are keeping up with your diet of deli meats and sausages!

Have you been to The Queen's Tables in Nanaimo yet? Can you tell us what is being offered there if you go?

Thanks,

s

I know, I know. I'm really NOT a charcuterie freak! I like sushi, salads, pasta, and

green stuff. Just so happens I'm hitting the deli's lately.

Will try to check out The Queen's Tables soon - haven't heard of it before; I'll do some sleuthing.

Edited by Brenda (log)

Brenda thanks for the heads up - I went and checked out the new deli (Nestvog) next to my favourite liquor store - I like vaccuums as well but not as much as rye - seems they are making some sausages so I picked the Hungarian ones and made some soup - we'll see how good it is when everything gets to have a chance to rest for tomorrow.