• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The 17th

eatpie

Next week, Im in Paris for 2 days of eating prior to a wedding in London. Have not been to paris in over 12 years. Been sorting through these boards and have a decent itinerary consisting of art, food, food, food, art, food - Can't wait.

Im staying in a flat in the 17th Ar. John Talbott mentioned it's an up and coming restaurant area but I haven't been able to unearth any specifics. Can anyone point me in the proper direction of a solid bistro, cheese shop, patisserie etc in the general vicinity?

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

Next week, Im in Paris for 2 days of eating prior to a wedding in London. Have not been to paris in over 12 years. Been sorting through these boards and have a decent itinerary consisting of art, food, food, food, art, food - Can't wait. 

Im staying in a flat in the 17th Ar.  John Talbott mentioned it's an up and coming restaurant area but I haven't been able to unearth any specifics.  Can anyone point me in the proper direction of a solid bistro, cheese shop, patisserie etc in the general vicinity?

Aside from the place I mentioned in the Digest, there's Table de Lucullus although whether the Nicholas Vagnon has departed to set up his new place on the Ile de Yeu yet I don't know. Around where he (Nicholas) was/is (nr Metro La Fourche) there must be a half dozen places that have opened up in the past 2 years. L'Entredgeu gets great reviews and eGullet comments (I'm not so hot on it), Guy Savoy ditto regarding great reviews & comments, I was disappointed at La Cabane; thought Caius was a deception in both French and English senses of the word, Astree good but not been in a while, like (as do most others) Abadache, always loved Beatilles, someone warned me off Baptiste but I liked it long ago, there's discussion somewhere here on the Caves Petrissans where I've only sampled the wine, used to like Paolo Petini but heard negative things recently, love Petit Colombier but its a game season place, Petit Gervex is wildly off/on, haven't been to Tante Jeanne in years. Cannot help on cheese and patisserie, but the Poncelet Market (arguably the best cheese in the city) is not so far; where exactly will you be in the 17th, then others who shop there may be of more help than I can be.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John, thanks for the reply...looks like the groom is vetoing the flat "way out in the 17th." Instead, he's arranged for us to stay in the 11th. Should be much easier to navigate but ironically further from Wednesday's dinner at Dominique Bouchet's.

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

John, thanks for the reply...looks like the groom is vetoing the flat "way out in the 17th." Instead, he's arranged for us to stay in the 11th.  Should be much easier to navigate but ironically further from Wednesday's dinner at Dominique Bouchet's.

Recall that everything is reachable by metro in minutes; anyway db is a few blocks from any bus or metro on a funny upside down U street.

John Talbott

Im staying in a flat in the 17th Ar.  John Talbott mentioned it's an up and coming restaurant area but I haven't been able to unearth any specifics.  Can anyone point me in the proper direction of a solid bistro, cheese shop, patisserie etc in the general vicinity?

Best choices for bistrots are

-l'entredgeux

-Beatilles

-tante jeanne

Bon appetit

• 1 year later...

I was looking for someplace new to go on Friday and decided on Caius, a restaurant that was listed in the Fooding's 'trop bon' category that has gotten other favorable press but hasn't really been discussed here. The food is certainly French but the chef, Jean-Marc Notelet, uses a lot of interesting spices and ingredients that you don't often find.

The blackboard menu is 38€ for entrée, plat, dessert with 6-7 choices of each. I started with very good raw tuna marinated with seasame served over a bed of tiny greens, none of which I had heard of before and none of which I can remember unfortunately. My friend had a risotto with petit gris (little gray snails). The waiter recommended a chicken served for two that was stuffed with spinach and corriandre sautéed in honey which was very tender and delicious. Dessert for me was roasted caramelized pineapple and with a creamy coconut ice cream.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Thanks Felice, I think this is the place that Fresh_A gave a good review a short time back on rue d'Armaille. We will give it a try this trip.

Still not much response on Dijon restaurants.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Le Bistral is one of the best bistrot in the 17e, period.

It was discussed on this board recently.

Interesting you should mention Le Bistral because in last week's l’Express Pierrick Jégu wrote about Les Fines Gueules, 2, rue La Vrillière in the 1st, 01-42-61-35-41, a la carte running one 25-30 €, open everyday 7-2 AM, chef’d by Arnaud Bradol, ex of the Bistral, who constructs his menu around products made by the best, for example Thierry Daniel’s andouillette, Poujauran’s bread, Bordier’s butter, David Hervé’s oysters, Hugo Desnoyers’ meat, ditto for wines.

John Talbott

• 1 year later...
I would also have to highly suggest Caius. I happen to be working on a book with the chef so I'm eating there all the time and I can't complain one bit. He also gets his meat from Hugo Desnoyers. If you can, try the beef cheeks.

With your connection, can you get him to change his outside sign to reflect the real meals he serves inside? The last time we went, almost nothing listed outside was available inside.

John Talbott

I had a meal (I swear) 3 days before the New York Times blew it - at Hide aka Koba’s Bistro, 10, rue de General Lanrezac in the 17th, 01.45.74.15.81, closed Saturday lunch and Sundays, menu 26 E for 3 courses, 29 E for 3 courses and 25 cl of wine and about 35 E a la carte that I rated a solid 7.0. My report will be filed this weekend but it was as they say "Pas mal."

John Talbott