• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feenies manager

A message from Rob Feenie:

We all talk about wanting to support each other and help local business and it is forums like this that allow us all to share our expertise and insights and make things better. Isn’t that what this is about? Having good food at all levels? Do I have to act a certain way simply because I have these plaques outside my restaurant? I hope these commercials show a sense of community and fun. I am proud to support White Spot in their new venture and I look forward to their continued success. Haute cuisine or hamburgers- I love both and will continue to support those who are looking to improve BC dining.

Cheers,

Rob"

Having a perfect lunch at Feenies last week and this message, I think I'm becoming a fan. As a child, the perfect lunch was at White Spot.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

You can read more about this in today's Vancouver Sun. Unfortunately the full article is not available on-line.

I quote a small section which I hope is OK.... "When eGullet, a food lover's website, posted a diatribe on what they saw as a lapse in judgement by "this giant of cuisine" and his need for a better manager, Feenie posted back:..."

You never know who is reading what you post here :biggrin:

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

This topic has really been bugging me...on the one hand, I do and did agree with the original post, insofar as I have noticed a certain amount of overstylization in La Feenie that I find alternately entertaining and annoying - and I have noted that this has lessened, and lately he seems a great deal more 'Rob-like' than he has in the past. His rebuttal, of course, had the effect of putting me firmly in my place, which is perfectly okay with me. He was absolutely correct, and any opportunity to promote better food in BC is an opportunity you should not let go etc...blah blah. Yes, Rob, you drove the point home eloquently and caused me to rethink my earlier position. That is great, I am not the least bit chuffed by that. If I didn't want that kind thing, I wouldn't come to this site. I do not disagree with Rob defending himself or his actions, and indeed, regret that he felt forced to do so.

The thing that is really bugging me at this moment is this... He lurks here, reads our comments yet hasn't joined us. He clearly has opinions, ideas and things to share...after all, he makes one second hand response and it makes the paper. That bothers me. Yeah, he's busy. Well, so are we all. Yet here we are. Perhaps I am alone in this opinion, but for me personally, in the future, I'm not going to be accepting any more second hand responses, rebuttals or comments from you, Rob. You want to put me in my place, talk to me about food, share an idea, bitch about the service at the local boite, then you can come here, under your own name, on your own time, and start typing. If you're not too good for White Spot, Rob, you aren't too good for eGullet. :wink:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I quote a small section which I hope is OK.... "When eGullet, a food lover's website, posted a diatribe on what they saw as a lapse in judgement by "this giant of cuisine" and his need for a better manager, Feenie posted back:..." 

Just finished reading the article (Started subscribing on-line! How geeky is that?)

What I find interesting is how they neglect to mention the people on eGullet who supported his decision. I guess the negative angle makes for better press. :blink:

Badiane, Chef Feenie has been encouraged to join eGullet. However, based on some recent posts, it seems a bit like inviting a Christian into the lion's den, just so we can find out how he feels as he's being eaten. I agree with your point ... if you want to join the discussion, then join it.

A.

Badiane, Chef Feenie has been encouraged to join eGullet.  However, based on some recent posts, it seems a bit like inviting a Christian into the lion's den, just so we can find out how he feels as he's being eaten.  I agree with your point ... if you want to join the discussion, then join it.

It was pointed out to me that the post was relayed to Rob by a third party, and a response formulated by the publicist. I'm not going to add any fuel to the fire by stating my opinion of THAT.

I guess there are those that may go on the attack...that isn't okay. We have other 'notables' here that don't get treated like that even though I am sure that on occasion a 'bad' meal or bad reviews may make some feel like it is warranted.

Of course we now have a board monitor to nip these things in the bud, don't we? :laugh:

I'm just going to put future occurences of the second hand reply on 'ignore' status. I have bigger things to worry about...like the fact that my newest underling bears a striking resemblance to Bob Blumer in appearance and action....it's going to be a long day.

Scott Stratten

This thread has generated lots of hits and interest. Great, it is what we want.

Has Rob been treated fairly? Perhaps not. We certainly do not know why he did the White Spot commercials and quite frankly, it is none of our business. Perhaps they simply asked. White Spot has been his neighbour for as long as Rob has had Lumiere. That is what neighbours do. Did they pay him – who knows and who cares – again his business. Perhaps he made an anonymous donation to Children’s Hospital with the money – whatever. Is he making hay when the sun is shining? Why not. We only have so many days on this green Earth and perhaps he does not want have to be working until they plant him in the ground. Is he any different than anyone else?

He eats there. He enjoys it. Every meal can’t be a foie gras and white truffle sandwich. What do Chefs eat at home is in General Food Topics – and you will quite often find that it is often very simple or very fast food. Why should Rob be held to a different standard than anyone else? Is it that people now feel a strange connection to “their” Iron Chef?

Sure, he is a local boy who has stepped out on the world stage and done very well. Good for him. Is it that we want him to be different? Do you picture him cutting tops off of Champagne bottle over the breakfast table? His celebrity has allowed him to enjoy a few perks – great; I know that I would do the same. A little side work for commercials is fine. I don’t recall any major flap when we saw our own Jamie Maw in a BMW ad.

I have a feeling that if someone were to make a negative comment about Rob in “General Food Topics” or “Food Media and News”, we would be all over them, kicking ass. It happens here as many of you feel a connection to Rob or know him – we are just teasing one of our own. Rob is reading the board. Great. Probably many sleepless nights with a new kid, cruising the threads – just like everyone else has or will have happen soon enough. Do you know how hard it is to type with two kids sitting on your lap? It is hard! Did someone submit his response or assist in writing it? Who gives a rat’s ass – I wish I had a personal assistant to proof read my stuff, and then I would not get so many PM’s about spelling mistakes. What about the ads on the back of the buses – People who go to Lumiere don’t drive behind buses? You have to get the message out. Is he the only restaurant to try that? No. Perhaps it works. We can certainly see that his “Iron Chef” celebrity has not made the Patio Cop at City Hall roll over.

Would I like to see Rob Feenie on this board? Sure. He would be in good company – Batali, Bourdain etc. Perhaps if the local forum tightened up a bit and stopped being so chatty and fluffy, we would see a few more professionals jump in. They certainly know about it. It is the interaction between professionals and non professionals that make this such an interesting place.

I think this thread has had its run.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

it seems a bit like inviting a Christian into the lion's den, just so we can find out how he feels as he's being eaten.

Actually, I don't care so much how he feels being eaten - I'm much more interested to know how he would be served. Perhaps with Pemberton potatoes, a little truffle oil and some double-smoked bacon! Hopefully not with triple-O sauce and "endless" fries...

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

it seems a bit like inviting a Christian into the lion's den, just so we can find out how he feels as he's being eaten.

Actually, I don't care so much how he feels being eaten - I'm much more interested to know how he would be served. Perhaps with Pemberton potatoes, a little truffle oil and some double-smoked bacon! Hopefully not with triple-O sauce and "endless" fries...

Hey, I thought I said I think that this thread has run it's run. I will let you get away with it this thime as we were both posting at the same time. Do you know who I am ? I am "nwyles" of egullet ! Although I do not have the weight of the Lunch Mafia behind me, I could reach out and give you a serious mocking, followed by some taunting and finsih you off with a flurry of teasing. Tread lightly Jeffyboy ! I'm watching you. :biggrin::biggrin:

edited to add smiley faces :blink::blink::hmmm::hmmm:

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Perhaps if the local forum tightened up a bit and stopped being so chatty and fluffy...

Ahem. Indeed. :cool::wink:

I needed a laugh. Thanks.

Scott Stratten

It was pointed out to me that the post was relayed to Rob by a third party, and a response formulated by the publicist.

For what it's worth, Rob Feenie e mailed his response to me, it didn't come from his publicist. I suppose he could have had some help formulating the response, but so what? Theres vry phew ov uzz that wuldnt bennyfit from a littl editeing now and again.

Perhaps the local lamb, beef, poultry, pork...etc. suppliers can rustle-up a few pennies to entice Lumiere to use their ware's in his next PR event, new menu seems to be lacking the local emphasis. The shorelines are exploding with wild Claytonia(miner's lettuce) at the moment, with very attractive pink flowers.....fresh & tasty!

• 2 months later...

I was surfing the ole TV late Friday night, and came across Urban Rush on Shaw. The two hosts were talking to one Rob Feenie about all things discussed on this forum. Friggin idea pirates! Actually it was only the girl asking him questions, the guy was busy stuffing his face with Feenie/Thomas Haas chocolates.

They asked about the White Spot ads, and Feenie talked about nostalgia and the fact that his brother was a server there in his youth, and that John Bishop was also involved in the ads so there was some credibility there.

This was the best part, though: he said to his detractors (seemingly starting Mr Talent directly in the eye), and this is a quote, "Forget you!" It's a family show you know.

Feenie also talked about the $100 prix fixe menu option, how it offered diners real (generous) portioned courses rather than the tasting menu sized courses. If you knew you wanted item X, you could get item X. And you got an amuse or two thrown at you as well, and a dessert #2 tray of chocolates, so it really was a good deal if you wanted to go that way. Etc.

I didn't catch the whole interview, but I bet he also talked about his patio at some point. Friggin idea pirates!

Anyway, it was interesting mostly because it showed that he (and/or his handlers) reads these boards. Rob, we're still waiting for you to sign on as a participating member so you can post answers in person!

Re-reading my original post, I'm still not certain why anyone feels it to be even slightly provocative. White Spot is horrid, Rob made a mistake lending them credibility and taking their money. I observed the obvious, big deal.

Wait a second, isn't lumiere a French word meaning white spot??? hmmmmm.... I wonder.

And Keith, I think provocative is the only way to go.

Edited by shelora (log)

I don't believe I'm adding fuel to this fire ...

"J" received this from Aeroplan today:

Future Shop invites all Aeroplan® Members to experience their newly expanded Broadway location this coming weekend!

July 15th-17th

Broadway Future Shop

1740 W. Broadway, Vancouver

(604) 739-3000

Take advantage of door crasher specials all weekend long on the latest in entertainment and electronics at all Lower Mainland Future Shop locations.

Plus, you're invited to the Broadway Future Shop for these Special Appearances:

Meet Vancouver's Own Iron Chef - Rob Feenie

Owner of Lumière and Feenie's

Friday, July 15th (5:00pm - 6:00pm)

Can someone explain this? Rob? I'd get it if this were Chapters or some place he could promote his cookbooks ... but Future Shop? :blink:

A.

editted to add: I found out Rob is there to sign cookbooks. Future Shop sells cookbooks? :blink:

Future Shop must have wifi, hey? (I mean the place is not called "20th Century Shop".) If so, someone should go down with a laptop and get Rob to create his eG profile on the spot. For the good of the Society, Arne, do it! And collect Aeroplan miles in the process.

ETA:

editted to add: I found out Rob is there to sign cookbooks.  Future Shop sells cookbooks? :blink:

(In deep announcer voice) The Future of Cuisine can be found here at Future Shop.

Damn that's not bad. I think I'll run for Feenie's manager position.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Future Shop must have wifi, hey? (I mean the place is not called "20th Century Shop".) If so, someone should go down with a laptop and get Rob to create his eG profile on the spot. For the good of the Society, Arne, do it! And collect Aeroplan miles in the process.

ETA:

editted to add: I found out Rob is there to sign cookbooks.  Future Shop sells cookbooks? :blink:

(In deep announcer voice) The Future of Cuisine can be found here at Future Shop.

Damn that's not bad. I think I'll run for Feenie's manager position.

You guys are killing me :laugh: thank you

edited for clarification: rolling on the ground laughing until it hurts, thank you again!

Edited by Macha (log)

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

Can someone explain this? Rob? I'd get it if this were Chapters or some place he could promote his cookbooks ... but Future Shop? blink.gif

Anything to put bums in seats and pay off the kitchen, right?

The geeks gotta eat, too. Right?

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine