• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feenies manager

I also think this is genius marketing by pairing two good talents with White Spot.  It may fail but it seems like the majority of this board are too discriminatory and judgemental to have thought of this.

We'll have to wait and see how the general public responds to this.

Excuse me, 5 or 6 members are not the majority of this board. Let's keep discussing instead of pointing fingers.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

This one is nearly as asinine as the birthday cake thread. Good for Rob Feenie. I think it's a little "elitist" to cut a guy down who has had sucess in the culinary world far beyond any of the posters on this thread. I think it's rude.

Amen.

I saw an interview an number of years ago with the late-great Freddie Mercury (singer for Queen). The reporter had asked him what he thought about critics who accused him of "selling out" on their latest album. His reply: "What the f**k do they think I do for a living? I sell records! Technically, everything I do is "selling out."

If this gets Feenies out to Burnaby sooner, bring it on!

A.

Okay I saw the ad this morning over a bowl of Cheerios, and I had a similar reaction as Peppyre did. I wasn't put out. In fact, I was surprised at Rob's "supporting" role - I too thought the point of the ad was that Chuck was the exec chef at White Spot and that the sell was the Mediterranian Chicken Salad. Rob's line was something like, "Hey I like that." Not particularly earth-shattering in terms of all-out support of White Spot, just a simple message that he likes the salad.

Does it affect Lumiere being my favourite restaurant in the city? I say who cares, the ad was pretty inoffensive, I respect Feenie but I was not moved to try the WS salad. Let's see if Mr Bishop has better luck convincing me.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

I for one am glad that we've seemingly collectively agreed to not be critical of our betters any longer. I promise to stop mocking Ben Affleck for his work in Gigli, and lets face it, he's a far better actor than I, has acheived more in the field than I and I agree with the sentiment that it's presumptous of me to be critical of his work.

And recognizing Whitre Spot as a fetid pile, embodying the worst aspects of a mass market chain does not make one elitist, just a realist. Cheap shots about where a poster is posting from might be though.

Keith or anyone for that matter, if you actually did spend $ to see Gigli (and I'm seriously doubting you did), wouldn't that support the old "There is no such thing as bad press" adage?

To clarify, I'm not saying Rob Feenie is to cooking as Ben Afflect is to acting, when it's in fact just the opposite. Just a point that the ads may trigger the public's curiosity, which would in turn pay White Spot's bills. The more I think about it, the bigger I think the coup by White Spot's PR team was.

I for one am glad that we've seemingly collectively agreed to not be critical of our betters any longer.

(Who said anything about them being better?)

And I for one am glad you've decided that anybody with any sort of celebrity is forbidden to make any choices that topple them from whatever pedestal you or society has placed them. God knows Feenie isn't human. No, he's an Iron Chef! The culinary master, just one step down from Pope Benedict XVI ...

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't work well online ... :raz:

A.

Went their this past weekend on Sunday for Brunch and I must say the food was average and resonably priced. Service on the other hand was absolutely horrendous - had to repeat our drink order 3 times - 3 coffee 2 oj and 1 tea - don't understand how you can mess that up - is this not typical brunch beverage? The eggs benny was good but for all the hype this place gets I expected a little more... as per the dessert had to ask twice for menus... when we received the bill the 3 coffees were forgotten about and when we brought it to the servers attention we received the 'thats right' response. I guess I should also mention we were a party of five without a reso but we were in the area so why not try it. Behold we really received the humms and hahs as supposedly they were fully booked and had to see if they could 'squeeze' us in somewhere. Just wanted to know what the problem was and when we stated it was our fault as we did not reserve, a table was promptly given to us. To our observance the room sat 1/3 empty till our departure.

Never will understand these restaurants... the details need to be reviewed asap as it will be a while before I go back. My last visit was on business for lunch and had to wait almost 20 minutes for a drink and then we just dropped names to get attention, how desperate!

I also think this is genius marketing by pairing two good talents with White Spot.  It may fail but it seems like the majority of this board are too discriminatory and judgemental to have thought of this.

We'll have to wait and see how the general public responds to this.

Excuse me, 5 or 6 members are not the majority of this board. Let's keep discussing instead of pointing fingers.

My apologies for generalizing :blink:

However, my main point still stands.

[quote=surfer_dream,Apr 20 2005, 10:18 PM]

Went their this past weekend on Sunday for Brunch and I must say the food was average and resonably priced. Service on the other hand was absolutely horrendous - had to repeat our drink order 3 times - 3 coffee 2 oj and 1 tea - don't understand how you can mess that up - is this not typical brunch beverage? The eggs benny was good but for all the hype this place gets I expected a little more... as per the dessert had to ask twice for menus... when we received the bill the 3 coffees were forgotten about and when we brought it to the servers attention we received the 'thats right' response. I guess I should also mention we were a party of five without a reso but we were in the area so why not try it. Behold we really received the humms and hahs as supposedly they were fully booked and had to see if they could 'squeeze' us in somewhere. Just wanted to know what the problem was and when we stated it was our fault as we did not reserve, a table was promptly given to us. To our observance the room sat 1/3 empty till our departure.

Never will understand these restaurants... the details need to be reviewed asap as it will be a while before I go back. My last visit was on business for lunch and had to wait almost 20 minutes for a drink and then we just dropped names to get attention, how desperate!

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

A message from Rob Feenie:

"Good afternoon everyone,

First, thanks to all of you who are contributing to this thread. I enjoy EGullet immensely if I get the chance to read it.

Some of you out there seem a little disturbed by my recent partnering with the White Spot restaurant group, but I feel you may have the wrong impression about my motivation to do these ads.

When White Spot, a beloved institution and childhood favorite of mine, approached me to appear in their ads I immediately said yes- no managerial input required. I have fond memories of eating there, and visiting my brother when he worked there as a car hop as a teenager. This is a chain that has endured the times and trends and recently celebrated their 75th Anniversary. I hope we are all lucky enough to be in business for that long.

We all talk about wanting to support each other and help local business and it is forums like this that allow us all to share our expertise and insights and make things better. Isn’t that what this is about? Having good food at all levels? Do I have to act a certain way simply because I have these plaques outside my restaurant? I hope these commercials show a sense of community and fun. I am proud to support White Spot in their new venture and I look forward to their continued success. Haute cuisine or hamburgers- I love both and will continue to support those who are looking to improve BC dining.

Cheers,

Rob"

First, thanks to all of you who are contributing to this thread. I enjoy EGullet immensely if I get the chance to read it.

Some of you out there seem a little disturbed by my recent partnering with the White Spot restaurant group, but I feel you may have the wrong impression about my motivation to do these ads.

<SNIP>

I hope these commercials show a sense of community and fun. I am proud to support White Spot in their new venture and I look forward to their continued success. Haute cuisine or hamburgers- I love both and will continue to support those who are looking to improve BC dining.

Thanks for the feedback Rob (and to Andy for relaying it.) The fact that you made the effort to get this message to us even though you aren't a member speaks volumes, at least to me.

Now, as for your membership in the society ... get on that will yah?

A.

I don't know if this is recorded anywhere, but I seem to recall either reading or being told that the "Rob's Faves" menu at Feenies was partly inspired by White Spot, so if I'm correct, its not as though this move is totally out of the blue.

I personally don't think this is out of the blue. Anyone born and raised in Vancouver has fond memories of White Spot, good and bad, so for a local chef, raised in Vancouver, to support them seems perfectly logical. It seems as though advertising agencies here in Vancouver are starting to follow the trend of using Celeb Chefs in ad campaigns. The same thing is happening in the States. Hey, if it works, go for it. I personally still enjoy White Spot, especially with a hangover.

I was going to say White Spot. I've gotta admit, that egg sandwich thing isn't bad. Not as good as the supremely greasy Eggs Over My Hammie at the always interesting Denny's though. Anytime you can enjoy a bad pun and more fat than in ten Big Macs in the same meal it's a good start to a day. A day you're going to spend feeling quesy mind you, but anytime I've been to Denny's, the balance of the day being spent with mild nausea and ligtheadedness was alreay a foregone conclusion, so really nothing to lose.

.......the only problem with going to White Spot Keith is that I'm not sure that they have any Laphroig in their limited bar selection - I'm sure they have a gallon or two of Grants that could do and we'd, in a complete lapse of judgement, subject their dining public to some bad dancing.