• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Indian restaurant "AGNI"

Someone I know is associated with this new Indian restaurant callled "Agni" on King St in Hammersmith.

Online menu looks good. Here is the link

I'd be interested in knowing how the place and food is. Please share your experiences.

Cheers!!

It's not actually open yet but it's right next door to the Polish Centre. At the moment there are two posters in the window that say something like "New Indian restaurant opening. Chef has had good things written about him in The Guardian and Independent."

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies, I got it wrong! The place I was speaking about ha actually just put its sign up and is called Indian Zing. Head Chef is Manoj (?) who has, apparently, been top chef at Chutney Mary and Veeraswamy.

Opens this coming Friday. 020 8748 5959

Apologies, I got it wrong! The place I was speaking about ha actually just put its sign up and is called Indian Zing. Head Chef is  Manoj (?) who has, apparently, been top chef at Chutney Mary and Veeraswamy.

Opens this coming Friday. 020 8748 5959

http://www.indianzing.co.uk/

yeah i work opposite teh place will pop in on friday lunch time and see how it is.

agni is up the road looks ok menu a little limited but will give it a try next week.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Agni is open now. I spoke to one of the owners and they have soft launched this week. About 70-80% of menu is available and more is being added on a daily basis.

No connection to Indian Zing. Lets keep this thread about Agni.

www.agnirestaurant.com

160 King Street Hammersmith London W6 0QU Ph: 020 8846 9191

Head Chef is Gowtham Karingi (Ex-Head Chef of Veeraswamy in Regent Street, Michelin Starred Zaika and Utsav, both in Kensington High Street)

Manager is Neeraj Mittra (Ex Manager for Chutney Mary and Cafe Lazeez)

A special discount is available for eG members. Contact the manager and refer eGullet.

Cheers,

Edited by deliad (log)

Agni is open now. I spoke to one of the owners and they have soft launched this week. About 70-80% of menu is available and more is being added on a daily basis.

No connection to Indian Zing. Lets keep this thread about Agni.

www.agnirestaurant.com

160 King Street Hammersmith London W6 0QU Ph: 020 8846 9191

Head Chef is Gowtham Karingi (Ex-Head Chef of Veeraswamy in Regent Street, Michelin Starred Zaika and Utsav, both in Kensington High Street)

Manager is Neeraj Mittra (Ex Manager for Chutney Mary and Cafe Lazeez)

A special discount is available for eG members. Contact the manager and refer eGullet.

Cheers,

ouhh how special is the discount? :wink:

strange though that two ex-veeraswamy and ex-chutney mary chefs

would open in the same week almost next door to each other.

ouhh how special is the discount?  :wink:

strange though that two ex-veeraswamy and ex-chutney mary chefs

would open in the same week almost next door to each other.

It sounds a very special discount. Buy one main meal and get one free. You may see the details at this link.

eGullet discount voucher

Cheers!!

:laugh:

ok just had a lovely lunch at AGNI.

Just for some context into my tastes I only really been to a few Indian restaurants Giftos and Madhu in Southall, La Porte Des Indes and Kerala in London.

I do not know the difference between Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi cuisine in the same way that I wouldn’t expect you to know the difference between Shanghai, Cantonese, Szechuan, etc.

But I know what I like and I know when something is cooked correctly.

Ok the place is small looks like there are only 16 seats set up on the ground floor and I don't think they have an upstairs. Even though it is small it does open up a little toward the back and the placement of a large mirror by the door makes the place feel more open. It’s painted in peach/apricot and feels more Mediterranean/moroccan then Indian.

It is really bright and sunny out in Hammersmith today and walking into peach coloured restaurant is quite disorientating for your senses but at least its better then flock wallpaper.

So sat down and ordered a mango lassi, a little on the thin side but tasty enough, while I looked through the menu. I am actually quite impressed by the variety of dishes on the menu quite a good selection and a lot of them I not familiar with. A complimentary basket of poppadom chips and crackers with 3 chutneys is promptly delivered.

So being a greedy pig that I am, I take up the “buy one get one free” offer.

I order the following main courses that come with rice and a naan.

Seafood Moilee

a coastal seafood delight from kerala, with salmon, prawn, squid, mussels with

coconut, curry leaf, ginger, turmuric & lime.

Avadhi Roghan Josh

intensely flavoured shanks of lamb slow-cooked with hand-ground spices, lucknowi

herbs and saffron.

both dishes were cooked very well.

The lamb was fresh and tasty although I did find the flavour wasn’t as intense as I hoped it be and wasn’t as melt off the bone as I think it should have been,

but even then it was very good not quite excellent but definitely very, very good.

The seafood moilee was pretty generous think there was about 7 king prawns, 7 mussels and a few pieces of squid and fish, it was fresh, light and flavoursome. Although I think they would have had a better presentation if they had butter-flied the prawns.

The only thing negative I could say is that the nann was a little burnt but that is a minor thing.

In my limited experience Indian food is quite heavy but I think Agni are going for a lighter and more delicate flavoured cuisine.

Deliad is their cooking classed as southern Indian ?

The bill was £19.35 but with the discount came down to £12.40 and that included a 10% service charge and the tip section was closed so more brownie points.

Service was friendly and attentive.

During my visit the fire alarm went off twice! This was quite amusing

Well it makes the meal memorable

The waiter was most apologetic and running around saying it’s not a real fire.

It obvious that the workers are very proud of their food as the chef came down after and asked all the customers if they liked the food.

Also a “lady” on an opposite table complained the fish in her dish was a little tough the waiter immediately said he'd get another one made with a different fish. A few minutes later another dish appeared and the couple had an extra main course for free, very good service n’est pas?.

Personally I think the "lady" has only ever eaten salmon as she was asking about tilapia and complaining that her fish was undercooked as it was tough!! :wacko: but still you have to take the smooth with the rough customers.

So in summary this place is very good in fact for the price it is excellent.

The only concern I have is do they have the necessary calibre of clientele in the area to help maintain their standards?

Cheers,

eGullet is in no way associated with this discount offer. We have not been approached by the restaurant about this and you will see that the voucher is in fact a general offer and makes no specific reference to this site.

I have no problem with a restaurateur joining eGullet and starting a thread for the sole purpose of promoting their business, but I do object to the name of eGullet being used without permission in promotional activities. eGullet do not in anyway endorse this restaurant, we have no connection with it and we have no knowledge of it other than what has been posted on this thread.

eGullet is happy to consider making arrangements to pass on discounts to its members, but only by prior arrangement with the management.

Cheers,

eGullet is in no way associated with this discount offer. We have not been approached by the restaurant about this and you will see that the voucher is in fact a general offer and makes no specific reference to this site.

I have no problem with a restaurateur joining eGullet and starting a thread for the sole purpose of promoting their business, but I do object to the name of eGullet being used without permission in promotional activities. eGullet do not in anyway endorse this restaurant, we have no connection with it and we have no knowledge of it other than what has been posted on this thread.

eGullet is happy to consider making arrangements to pass on discounts to its members, but only by prior arrangement with the management.

Andy,

You are correct. It is a universal discount and not specific for eG. I guess, I must have misunderstood when I got that information.

So anyone, including eG members can avail of that discount.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers!!