• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook writers on eGullet

i've written a number of cookbooks, and have had different experiences with all of the publishers.

flat fee is evil, the publishers generally do that when they know they will be selling gazillions of books and that is usually the way it works out. also, when you write a book for flat fee, they generally keep the copyright as well, and you may well end up finging your book being cannibalized into books, books, books, all over the world, sold for a bargain, piled up on the table as bargain books, books that you worked very hard to create well and are seeing no renumeration past the initial fee. sometimes they even take your name off of it, so its as if they were stealing your work, though they could argue that they have purchased it. this is important when its writing that has meaning to you, and when it is recipes that are original, well thought through, special.

an agent is important, i have had several not very good agents. my last agent was also jamie olivers agent, guess who got short shrift in the deal? the agent before didn't really have the same vision for my work that i did. not having an agent on the same wave length  is my loss, as Paula Wolfert says, they know everyone in the bizz and can get your ideas looked at quicker, and with more seriousness.  i'm sure that my agent situation has been a big hurdle. living abroad and working in different countries is part of the problem, the antagonism of each country against the other, or at least one against the other, in my case.

i've had a number one best seller in britain, i've had books that don't earn back their advances, i've had books that were serialized in mags, and books that were published to a resounding silence. one of the books--the first one--i even illustrated. i've had books that were shortlisted for james beard and other awards, books that won world gourmand awards, and books that drove me nuts. books with typos that i couldn't rectify (usually the flat fee) and on and on.

perhaps i should have done something else with my life, something more practical, certainly something more renumerative.

but here is the thing: i LOVE writing cookbooks. i love writing, i love telling stories, i love feeding people, i love giving people recipes so that they can feed themselves something that i think is just so delicious i have to share it!

i love writing cookbooks because the research process is fascinating. the travel that goes on in the research introduces me to people and places i might not have met. it is a reason to go and do things, learn languages, poke around in peoples kitchens (well, my column spurs me on, too).

cookbooks  make people happy, they tell a story, and my god i hope i can continue to do it forever. its like having a huge dinner party and setting out on the table the most delicious things you can think of, and then giving readers the ability to make it themselves.

so. why do i write cookbooks? i think i am addicted to the process.  and i love hearing someone say that they made my recipe for this or that and it was so delicious and the whole family/dinner party/etc loved it.

but i think i do need a new agent.

good luck,

marlena

oh, and iheartoffal, your cookbook sounds so deliciously sincere, it warms my heart.

I just bought your grilled cheese book today. Yummy, cant wait to try some of those fabulous sandwiches.

Although I will eventually write my own work for publication, for the first few years I want to translate books on food (not necessarily pure cookbooks) from the French to English for publication in the US. I can do this to bring in a salary while I build a name for myself with essays published in magazines one by one.

For the authors who have had their work translated, how is this arranged? Should I be contacting the authors of particular works with my references, their publishing houses in France, or publishing houses in the US to line up this kind of work? It would be an excellent way for me to get me oriented in the right direction, work towards my goal, allowing me to also devote some time to my own work and most importantly research the material very closely. :smile:

Have been assembling the recipes for the book I am working on, since September. Publisher keeps sending back notes that the recipes are too hard. Thay have been finalized now, but the corrections and additions and answering of questions....BIG PAIN IN THE ASS!

Been working for the past four days on the photos for the book. I cook, the food designer plates, the photographer shoots, and the art director says "too much light" or "turn the plate to the left". This has been the most exhausting week I have ever had. 16.5 hours of work today. Creeping up on 100 hours for the week. ( I am still working in the restaurant 5 days/week...today was my day off, and was devoted entirely to the book.)

That is all i will say....Exhausting process! :wacko:

Like Russ, I too am an accidental cookbook writer. My advice to anyone wanting to be a cookbook writer is to see a psychiatrist. Seriously, you simply must love writing and cooking, with the emphasis on writing. And you must be passionate about something--not just "food" or "cooking." It must be something very specifiable--and very unique. It would also help to have a mentor or at least someone to encourage you. For me that was two women, Paula Wolfert and Nancy Harmon Jenkins. I contacted Paula back in the 80s, out of the blue, as I didn't know her, but whose books I loved and respected enormously. I told her that I wanted to write a book on "the Arab influence on Sicilian cuisine." A professor friend of mine said "sounds like a dissertation topic." Paula had nothing but encouragement and set me on my way. A few years later Simon and Schuster published Cucina Paradiso: the Heavenly food of Sicily" and the New York Times chose it as one of their 10 best cookbooks for 1992. What else could a cookbook writer ask for? Well plenty. I have written 12 books now, 10 of them cookbooks. The first two books were on history and foreign policy (another life). You absolutely need an agent. Not only can they get you more money, but they do know everyone in the bizz and they can do all the schmoozing that you don't have time for because you are writing your cookbook and holding down that other job where your real money comes from. An agent can also run interference when shit happens. Today, it's different than years ago. You need a "platform" as they say in the bizz. Russ has his as a journalist, others have restaurants, or TV shows. But I don't want a restaurant and I don't want a TV show. A few years ago I did a guest show with Sara Moulton and my mom gave me some advice, indicating what she thought of food network--"don't act like an asshole." Well, if you're doing tv you have to act like an asshole. About print runs: they don't mean anything. The only thing that means anything is the check you get. Of my 12 books only 2 have sold out (earned back their advance), "Real Stew" and "Mediterranean Feast." Mediterranean Feast was published in 1999, won two James Beard awards in 2000 including Cookbook of the Year and was nominated by IACP for Cookbook of the Year. None of this made a blip in sales. "Feast" just earned out a month ago, 6 years after publication. I'm happy. But don't let any one tell you not to do it if you love doing it. Just be realistic--you better have a pretty good portfolio of stocks and mutual funds to provide you income. Ideally, and this is something I did in the 90s that was great, but don't think I can pull it off now, is to be under contract for more than one book at a time. I signed to do Mediterranean Feast in 1993 and got a big advance for it. But in the intervening years I whip out several other non-historical cookbooks that helped pay some of the rent. Keep figuring your angle--and remember the future very well might be found in the Internet. You can't convince me that it's going to be on the Food Network.

Although I will eventually write my own work for publication, for the first few years I want to translate books on food (not necessarily pure cookbooks) from the French to English for publication in the US.  I can do this to bring in a salary while I build a name for myself with essays published in magazines one by one. 

For the authors who have had their work translated, how is this arranged?  Should I be contacting the authors of particular works with my references, their publishing houses in France, or publishing houses in the US to line up this kind of work?  It would be an excellent way for me to get me oriented in the right direction, work towards my goal, allowing me to also devote some time to my own work and most importantly research the material very closely.    :smile:

lucy, have you checked out ici la press? they're here in the states, someplace, but they specialize in translating french chef cookbooks. maybe y ou could line up some work for hire with them to get the experience.

ici la

For those who don't know, archestratus is known beyond eGullet as Clifford A. Wright. I'm a fan -- as are many others here on eG -- and count "Sardinia from the Inside" (from Saveur, No. 68 August/September 2003) among my favorite pieces of writing in that great magazine.

Given my admiration, it astonishes me that Mediterranean Feast, a book that won two Beard awards and was nominated for IACP's book of the year, took six years to earn out its run. That's a sobering warning about the realities of who makes out in the "booming cookbook industry"....

A question for the authors:

I don't want a restaurant and I don't want a TV show.  A few years ago I did a guest show with Sara Moulton and my mom gave me some advice, indicating what she thought of food network--"don't act like an asshole."  Well, if you're doing tv you have to act like an asshole.

To what extent do you feel that TV is an important component of cookbook marketing? It seems to be a crucial element of the business, particularly concerning the importance of having a very explicit, focused, niche angle for your book. However, given your intelligent approach to cuisine and cooking, "act[ing] like an asshole" must be... er... challenging.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

For those who don't know, archestratus is known beyond eGullet as Clifford A. Wright. I'm a fan -- as are many others here on eG -- and count "Sardinia from the Inside" (from Saveur, No. 68 August/September 2003) among my favorite pieces of writing in that great magazine.

Given my admiration, it astonishes me that Mediterranean Feast, a book that won two Beard awards and was nominated for IACP's book of the year, took six years to earn out its run. That's a sobering warning about the realities of who makes out in the "booming cookbook industry"....

I don't want a restaurant and I don't want a TV show.  A few years ago I did a guest show with Sara Moulton and my mom gave me some advice, indicating what she thought of food network--"don't act like an asshole."  Well, if you're doing tv you have to act like an asshole.

To what extent do you feel that TV is an important component of cookbook marketing? It seems to be a crucial element of the business, particularly concerning the importance of having a very explicit, focused, niche angle for your book. However, given your intelligent approach to cuisine and cooking, "act[ing] like an asshole" must be... er... challenging.

I think it can get and keep a book onto the bestseller list. In doing my research I found that Rachel Ray, who has what 3 or 4 shows on TFN, also has 6!! books selling very well on Amazon, and huge dumps in the Borders I went to, much more so than any other right now. Also in the top 25 selling cookbooks on Amazon, were 4 titles by The Barefoot Contessa and 2 or 3 from Paula Deen, all women who have very popular shows on TFN.

The shows can make the difference between selling well, and achieving 'breakout' major bestseller status.

as my pal cliff pointed out, it's a fact of life in cookbook publishing these days that editors are looking for writers with a "platform." these vary, and it depends on what kind of book you want to do and how many you want to sell. i work for a newspaper, which doesn't really require me to act like an asshole (usually i do that quite well all on my own). but my books aren't straight recipe collections and, quite frankly, i don't care about selling hundreds of thousands of copies. if you want to be the next rachel ray, the situation might be different.

TV is hugely important for cookbook marketing. But air time is limited and there is a tendency to book people who already have a name. Writers without a "platform" need to explore alternative means. Overlooked (or at least sometimes forgotten) are: 1) radio 2) internet 3) local media where you live. As far as acting like an asshole, well, let's face it, if you're a guy, it's not that hard. Anyway, my girlfriend thinks I don't have a problem acting like an asshole.

also asshole proficiency here

just no more platform

any advice regarding online publishing?

is this a realistic medium?

it seems to me to be a legitimate way to conceive and develop an idea.

i am currently working as a babysitter for my daughter, and would love to develop a means to produce while at home.

mix of basic pastry techniques streamlined and avantgarde food composition

any thoughts?

is there real demand for pastry books?

also, is there real demand for professional kitchen operations books?

great forum

will

Paula Wolfert has been a huge inspiration for me in several ways.

1. She opened the door for American interest in North African cooking with her books.

2. She wrote about exotic ingredients and far away places. I doubt that I would be teaching Moroccan cooking at Sur La Table if it weren't for her books.

3. She embraced a foreign culture and presented it with the utmost care, respect and love to those who were entirely unfamiliar with the mysteries of the Maghreb.

4. She went on a quest of discovery in strange and often times difficult to travel terrain. Traveling in North Africa is not like traveling in France.

She's to me what Julia Child's is to so many others here.

On a more immediate level she has offered to show me her collection of North African cookbooks that she's been collecting for decades, offering to look up Algerian recipes for me. She's been very supportive and has given me insightful suggestions.

Clifford Wright already mentioned that she was a mentor of sorts for him. I'll add Mr. Wright to my list of inspiring writers for North African cooking. I'm using his scholarship as references. It's exciting and fruitful to engage in dialogue with them in the Middle East/ Africa forum.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

There is also Suvir Suran.

As for myself I am an aspiring one. The first one that I'm working on is on Algerian cookery with alot of historical information and personal narrative in it. The one I have on the back burner is about the Burgundy and the Rhone specifically Lyon and the Beaujolais.

It is alot of work. I couldn't do it alone while working full time. I'm fortunate enough to have a married a woman who has a deep interest in food, research and writing.

I volunteer to be one of your test cooks. I write, too, if Touaregsand gets bored.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Of my 12 books only 2 have sold out (earned back their advance), "Real Stew" and "Mediterranean Feast."  Mediterranean Feast was published in 1999, won two James Beard awards in 2000 including Cookbook of the Year and was nominated by IACP for Cookbook of the Year.  None of this made a blip in sales

I truly am amazed, and saddened by that.

As for the tv angle, the resounding advice, albeit tongue-in-cheek, from the Greenbrier this year was, "if you want a best-selling cookbook, get a tv show!"

TFN is a powerful force these days, but I am hopeful that will not be permanent, and the wave will crest, crash and then head for shore.

To add to Pam's comments, right now, SIX of the top ten cookbooks on Amazon are food network people. At Borders and Waldenbooks for 2004, HALF of (12 of the top 25) were by TFN authors. (Don't forget our buddies Emeril and Alton).

The most amazing,frustrating, and truly horrifying, and tragic thing is the whole Rachel Ray phenomenon: She is not a cook, nor is she a writer. sad commentary on what the public wants, and the downward spiral and dumbing down of TFN.

The newest "It Girl", according to this article in this week's Washington Post, is that gal who clenches her teeth as if they've been wired shut, Giada Delaurentis. (Someone on another eG thread I remember, called her the little girl with the big head, LOL). Her book Everyday Italian has sold 250,000 copies in the last 7 weeks.

Which brings me back to Archestratus... I love your little book Cucina Rapida, and I must tell you it has become the book, believe it or not, that my kids go to when they want to cook dinner (or I tell them it's their turn!). It truly is a "family" favorite -- they will pick out a recipe, and call me on my cell to pick up any extra needed ingred. on my way home. Delicious, fresh, and fast. And how old is that book?

And, btw, if I remember correctly, I was always intrigued/amused by the jacket note that said (I think it was this book, I am not home right now) that you "wrote the book because you needed to"? :wink:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Of my 12 books only 2 have sold out (earned back their advance), "Real Stew" and "Mediterranean Feast."  Mediterranean Feast was published in 1999, won two James Beard awards in 2000 including Cookbook of the Year and was nominated by IACP for Cookbook of the Year.  None of this made a blip in sales

I truly am amazed, and saddened by that.

As for the tv angle, the resounding advice, albeit tongue-in-cheek, from the Greenbrier this year was, "if you want a best-selling cookbook, get a tv show!"

TFN is a powerful force these days, but I am hopeful that will not be permanent, and the wave will crest, crash and then head for shore.

To add to Pam's comments, right now, SIX of the top ten cookbooks on Amazon are food network people. At Borders and Waldenbooks for 2004, HALF of (12 of the top 25) were by TFN authors. (Don't forget our buddies Emeril and Alton).

The most amazing,frustrating, and truly horrifying, and tragic thing is the whole Rachel Ray phenomenon: She is not a cook, nor is she a writer. sad commentary on what the public wants, and the downward spiral and dumbing down of TFN.

The newest "It Girl", according to this article in this week's Washington Post, is that gal who clenches her teeth as if they've been wired shut, Giada Delaurentis. (Someone on another eG thread I remember, called her the little girl with the big head, LOL). Her book Everyday Italian has sold 250,000 copies in the last 7 weeks.

Which brings me back to Archestratus... I love your little book Cucina Rapida, and I must tell you it has become the book, believe it or not, that my kids go to when they want to cook dinner (or I tell them it's their turn!). It truly is a "family" favorite -- they will pick out a recipe, and call me on my cell to pick up any extra needed ingred. on my way home. Delicious, fresh, and fast. And how old is that book?

And, btw, if I remember correctly, I was always intrigued/amused by the jacket note that said (I think it was this book, I am not home right now) that you "wrote the book because you needed to"? :wink:

yeah, that was a cool little book. I wrote it in the early 90s. I was working on "Feast" and was recently divorced and had three little children. I sold the book to Morrow (with whom i had the Feast contract) and it was fun to write, mostly because I just made stuff up and it didn't require huge amounts of research. The book didn't do very well, but it's the book I give to people who aren't necessarily into my historical stuff.

Where are cookbooks headed?  I think they’re more and more telling stories and this is good and this is why they’re valuable.  I’m not much of a recipe person—recipes are a dime a dozen.  Stories are unique.  Part of how we can get at story, though, is through the eccentricities and finer points of a recipe.  This is most valuable part of a recipe in a cookbook to me.

You know what? The last paragraph of Making of a Chef makes me cry every single damn time I read it. Makes me feel like a sap and I really don't care if anyone else understands or not, because I get it.

So I am glad you got the chance and your books were published, because I enjoy them immensely. And you should know there was a Chef Coppedge incident the one time I went up to the CIA with my son's cooking class, and it was all your fault.

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I am simply in awe of anyone who has the tenacity to write a cookbook (or any kind of book).

I love the ones that tell stories, poignant, funny, illustrative, etc., of the life and experiences of the author.

I love telling stories too, but simply do not have the discipline to write them in any coherent fashion so I admire anyone who does as I know how much work it is.

I had a friend who worked on a family cookbook (3 generations in Pasadena) for several years but passed away before she could finish her research and recipe testing. Her daughters thought it had been a waste of time and tossed the manuscript and all her notes in the trash before I had a chance to ask for it.

I would have liked to have it as a memento of our friendship.

One of the reasons I collect cookbooks is because some of them seem to be "orphans" and I feel they should have shelf space somewhere, even if it is only in my little library. When I see some of these books on the remaindered list or reduced to a fraction of the original price on the bargan books table, I think of all the work that went into them and feel sad that they have not received their due. So often it is because some "name" personage has a cookbook that is being promoted simply because they are on TV and not because the cookbook itself is interesting or truly useful.

I am not a fan of Rachel Ray or her cookbooks. I do have two of Ina Garten's cookbooks and recently was given one of "The Lady & Sons" cookbooks.

I have purchased a great many cookbooks since joining eG, many recommended by other members and written by members.

Keep on writing them and I will keep on buying them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Paula Wolfert has been a huge inspiration for me in several ways.

1. She opened the door for American interest in North African cooking with her books.

2. She wrote about exotic ingredients and far away places. I doubt that I would be teaching Moroccan cooking at Sur La Table if it weren't for her books.

3. She embraced a foreign culture and presented it with the utmost care, respect and love to those who were entirely unfamiliar with the mysteries of the Maghreb.

4. She went on a quest of discovery in strange and often times difficult to travel terrain. Traveling in North Africa is not like traveling in France.

She's to me what Julia Child's is to so many others here.

On a more immediate level she has offered to show me her collection of North African cookbooks that she's been collecting for decades, offering to look up Algerian recipes for me. She's been very supportive and has given me insightful suggestions.

Clifford Wright already mentioned that she was a mentor of sorts for him. I'll add Mr. Wright to my list of inspiring writers for North African cooking. I'm using his scholarship as references. It's exciting and fruitful to engage in dialogue with them in the Middle East/ Africa forum.

I agree that Paula is definitely a class act and someone I admire as well. I was trying to figure out how the cured lemons were suppose to turn out and she was kind enough to give me one so I'd know first hand. I think it says a lot about the authors when they care enoug to help people try to get it right.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

as my pal cliff pointed out, it's a fact of life in cookbook publishing these days that editors are looking for writers with a "platform." these vary, and it depends on what kind of book you want to do and how many you want to sell. i work for a newspaper, which doesn't really require me to act like an asshole (usually i do that quite well all on my own). but my books aren't straight recipe collections and, quite frankly, i don't care about selling hundreds of thousands of copies. if you want to be the next rachel ray, the situation might be different.

Recently I saw Sara Moulton speak in New Orleans-during the Tennessee Williams Festival on a platform with Bill Grimes and Poppy Z Brite- and she said exactly the same thing. She pointed out that her last book had sold pretty well and that she was getting another out as quickly as possible "while she was still on TV"

She went on to say that she completely understood that the books would not have sold nearly as well were she not a recognizable face and if she did not have the TV exposure several days a week.

If any of you ever get a chance to hear her speak, she is glib, funny, and amazingly outspoken. Absolutely not afraid to bite the hands that feed her.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Where are cookbooks headed?  I think they’re more and more telling stories and this is good and this is why they’re valuable.  I’m not much of a recipe person—recipes are a dime a dozen.  Stories are unique.  Part of how we can get at story, though, is through the eccentricities and finer points of a recipe.  This is most valuable part of a recipe in a cookbook to me.

You know what? The last paragraph of Making of a Chef makes me cry every single damn time I read it. Makes me feel like a sap and I really don't care if anyone else understands or not, because I get it.

So I am glad you got the chance and your books were published, because I enjoy them immensely. And you should know there was a Chef Coppedge incident the one time I went up to the CIA with my son's cooking class, and it was all your fault.

Angela

I gotta say, there seem to be a lot more people trying to tell stories than that actually have that many good stories to tell. A couple of recent cookbooks have been particularly egregious in this regard, even if the recipes are good. I could name names. :wink:

Sometimes I want to yell "shut up and cook!" A little reminiscing goes a long way if the point of a book is to help you cook dinner, and not many chefs are poets or philosophers.

Apparently I'm in the minority these days, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I had a friend who worked on a family cookbook (3 generations in Pasadena) for several years but passed away before she could finish her research and recipe testing.  Her daughters thought it had been a waste of time and tossed the manuscript and all her notes in the trash before I had a chance to ask for it. 

I would have liked to have it as a memento of our friendship. 

Andie, what a tragedy! That story is making ME sad.

When I see some of these books on the remaindered list or reduced to a fraction of the original price on the bargan books table, I think of all the work that went into them and feel sad that they have not received their due.

As a the owner of several hundred, actually probably over a thousand, cookbooks, and a foodwriter as well, I feel the same way. Yes, there are a few crummy books out there, often the brand-name junk or commercial compilations. Now that I am working on more than one book, I have a great respect for what has come before. It's the unknown little book I often pick up out of the pile, and when it has stories to go along with it, making it a very personal approach, I too get sucked up by the idea of what work/toil/sweat/history had gone into the book.

When I am looking at the sale/remainder books, and there is also someone else perusing, and I see one or two books that ARE fabulous (that I already own),... I will turn to the complete stranger and recommend the book. Everytime, they buy it. Most often, it's because they too, are into food, or are cookbook collectors. One time the person was looking for a gift for someone, and I talked them into TWO books on the shelf, both fantastic. (I recall saying, "at this price, how can you NOT buy both? Your friend will be thrilled!")

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

When I am looking at the sale/remainder books, and there is also someone else perusing, and I see one or two books that ARE fabulous (that I already own),... I will turn to the complete stranger and recommend the book.  Everytime, they buy it.

i've tried this before with my own books and the person looking through the book usually runs away fast, thinking that i'm a maniac, or at least someone with delusions. if i can get them to look at my photo, things go much better however..........

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

So: you write a cookbook because you must, because you will implode if you don’t, because it’s your passion, because you are something of a lunatic (which is fine, and not up to you anyway).

I asked my SO to please shoot me if I ever attempted to write another cookbook. He agreed wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, he doesn't keep firearms around and won't even empty mouse traps. So I have one more to write. The concept is so clear to me in every detail that it feels as if I'm preventing reality from happening if I don't write it--like some sort of blocked astral gate. I hope to have the text compiled, edited, tested and done by August, and I have a photographer lined up for September. I'm writing my book proposal now.

It won't be a literary masterpiece, or unique like chefzadi's project, but I hope to have fun with this one, now that I know a little more about what to expect.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

There is also Suvir Suran.

As for myself I am an aspiring one. The first one that I'm working on is on Algerian cookery with alot of historical information and personal narrative in it. The one I have on the back burner is about the Burgundy and the Rhone specifically Lyon and the Beaujolais.

It is alot of work. I couldn't do it alone while working full time. I'm fortunate enough to have a married a woman who has a deep interest in food, research and writing.

I volunteer to be one of your test cooks. I write, too, if Touaregsand gets bored.

I don't get bored. But I find that I'm putting too many of my own projects on the backburner, what I really want to do is direct. :biggrin:

The biggest challenge in ghostwriting is translating Farid's Franglish and writing the way he sees and speaks about the world. My own voice is more like Faulknerian drunken rants, interspersed with adaptations of Dylan Thomas poems with a touch of Borges and the attitude of Jeanne Moreau in a Black and White film smoking cigarettes while staring out the window saying, "we are all out of wine. life is sooo difficult."

After "The Beautiful Algeria" project is complete we'll begin working on the Lyon/Beaujolais book. We want to include other writers in this one and have been keeping an eye out on egullet. PM either one of us if interested. We have a lot of other projects that are being sketched out.

Test cooks and test readers of completed chapters are needed.