• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackson Heights

Suvir Saran

Jackson Heights is in Queens.

Patel Brothers in Jackson Heights is a great big grocery store selling Indian stuff.  It is on the main Indian strip.  Hard to miss.

My preference for buying Indian groceries of great quality, best in the city is Foods of India on Lexington Avenue.  It is between 28th and 29th Streets on the East side of the street.  One storefront south of Kalustyans.  At foods of India you may pay a few pennies more than at other places, but you get the freshest and cleanest spices.  And that makes a big difference in the long run.

Enjoy your trip to NYC.  And let us know if you need any help.. and certainly tell us what you did here.

Jackson Heights is in Queens.

Patel Brothers in Jackson Heights is a great big grocery store selling Indian stuff.  It is on the main Indian strip.  Hard to miss.

My preference for buying Indian groceries of great quality, best in the city is Foods of India on Lexington Avenue.  It is between 28th and 29th Streets on the East side of the street.  One storefront south of Kalustyans.  At foods of India you may pay a few pennies more than at other places, but you get the freshest and cleanest spices.  And that makes a big difference in the long run.

Enjoy your trip to NYC.  And let us know if you need any help.. and certainly tell us what you did here.

foods of india is in the neighborhood of my sisters' new co-op--she's moving next month--she told me that her neighborhood is near two indian areas, one called "little india" and the other called "curry hill"--she said there's not a whole lot food-wise there--just lots of residences, but i suspect upon deeper scrutiny i'll find more than she has yet.

i will report back.

Little India and Curry Hill are one and the same to me.  But yes I can imagine that perhaps they represent different districts or some such geographic boundary that may seem nothing to the eye but does exist.

Foods Of India is a great store.  You will love it.  

Pongal is a great restaurant just a block south on Lexington from Foods of India that has great Southern Indian food.  You can go there and eat Dosas (lentil and Bean crepes) and Idlis (steamed lentil and bean cakes).  

There are many Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi stores in the area.  You can find anything from the Sub-Continent that you may miss out there.  Most anything.  

Look forward to hearing from you about your visit here.

And do tell me how the recipe of the burfee progresses.

Suvir:

So far, nobody seems to be responding to your question.

I've been to the Jackson Diner once and had takeout from there once. I found the food delicious. I especially like the chicken appetizer cooked in batter with shredded coconut and mango chutney. Their curries are spicy and very tasty, too. I have yet to find better Indian food in the 5 boroughs, which is why I wish someone would post about other options.

For example, does anyone have any comments on the Bangladeshi place Sietsema reviewed in his "100 best/cheapest" list, Grameen?

Michael aka "Pan"